Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Preface, Introduction, Foreword

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a preface, introduction, and foreword?

Comments

• Is there one? :)
  • Probably length...;)
  • http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question58227.html

Just one of the websites that explains the difference. I haven't read them all, so don't know if they agree with each other!
  • I think an introduction is usually written by someone else, perhaps by invitation. Thus David Cameron might be invited to introduce Tony Blair's memoirs, and basically tell you how to read them.
  • I thought a foreword was usually written by someone else? I'm lost
  • foreword is when the author explains the book. Introduction is someone else writing about the book.
  • This is when Stan should pop up and say "Ah"! :)
  • An author can write his own introduction. This is briefer than a preface. I don't like long introductions.
  • Words into Type succinctly characterizes the differences between a preface and intro: "A preface or foreword deals with the genesis, purpose, limitations, and scope of the book and may include acknowledgments of indebtedness; an introduction deals with the subject of the book, supplementing and introducing the text and indicating a point of view to be adopted by the reader. The introduction usually forms a part of the text [and the text numbering system]; the preface does not."

The foreword, says the Chicago Manual of Style, is usually written by someone other than the author or editor, usually someone eminent (to lend credibility to the book), and although the title page may say "Foreword by X," if the foreword is only one or two pages (which is normal), the name of the foreword writer normally appears at the end of the foreword. (The title or affiliation of the author of the foreword may also appear there.) For details on positioning of these elements, and what kind of type to use, refer to one of those two manuals, if your publisher doesn't handle the formatting.

(yoinked from this site: http://www.patmcnees.com/the_difference_between_a_preface__foreword__and_introduction_52536.htm )
  • Wow, BR, we are indebted, etc. etc. ;) .
  • Hey I didnt write it, I just prodded the internet with a stick and the above fell out.
    I always like to keep my t'interwebnet poking stick handy...
  • [quote=Stan2]Ah! [/quote]

Right on cue, Stan!!
  • So now we know the answer...:)