Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

This rejection made me smile

edited October 2010 in - Writing Tales
I just received a rejection from Legend - after more than a year. They enjoyed my work very much, but it wasn't what they are looking for. If I have any other material they'd be happy to consider it. What made me smile, though, is the fact that my novel is due out next month from Solidus.

Comments

• Nice one! And congratulations on your novel being published. Are we allowed any further info on that yet?
  • congrats on getting published :)
    what your novel about ?
  • Thanks for the congrats, folks. Details are here:
    http://www.soliduspress.com/

and there's bits and pieces about writing it on my blog:
    http://snigsfoot.blogspot.com
  • that was a smile one, Rivington, and congratulations on the publication!
  • How satisfying! Good luck with the book.
  • Well done Rivington.
  • Congratulations! Nice to have some good news for a change. :)
  • I too got a rejection from Legend this afternoon. I only submitted a month ago. They're obviously having a clear out. Congratulations on your publishing deal.
  • nice one :)
    And congratualtions on the publication :))
  • edited October 2010
    Well done for getting the book printed/published, Rivington!
    PS - what exactly does Print on Demand mean? I know there have been freds on it before but I can't seem to retain the information. Do you have to pay to get your book published by Solidus? Or is it really 'Getting a publishing deal' in the sense I understand?
  • Why don't you ask the editor at Legend if he wants a signed copy?
    ;)
    Congrats.
  • Ceka, you can publish yourself (setting the book ready for the printer) and you use a print on demand service who will print copies as you require them-which you pay for.
    Some publishers (who offer a standard publishing deal) have started using print on demand for their books- costs are cut because large print runs and storage space for the books is not needed on the same scale.
  • edited October 2010
    Ceka, basically when a customer orders from [say] Amazon, the order is sent to the publisher and the book is then printed. Some of the smaller indies base their publishing model on POD [Jay's publisher, BeWrite for example.]

The big boys are starting to use POD [MacMillian], but not in the same way as the indies.
  • Barrington Hall are set up for POD, my company does it, we do single copies of books for customers, because we can bind them like 'real' books. I had a stack of the duke's book printed on the Friday before I left for Bridport, they were there waiting for me to sell ... it certainly works.
  • Ceka, Solidus are a small independent publisher using print on demand technology, not a self publishing company. It's submit in the usual way and with a contract based upon
    the Society of Authors model contract. They publish about nine or ten books a year.
    There are quite a number of small publishers now and it's always worth trying them instead of concentrating only upon the big companies. But do you homework properly because there are some dodgy ones out there as well as the really good one.
  • You are a good example, Rivington, of the advantages of going for a small publisher. :)
    Now comes the hard work of promoting yourself and your book...
  • I only found this out recently, but Ian Rankin started out with a small indie linked to Edinburgh University.

It's not a bad way to start. Prove you can sell, then try the big boys again.
  • Thank you, everyone, the mud is thinning. So with this Print on Demand - they pay you to publish your work and you don't have to pay anything. But you have to do the marketing - yes?
  • Depends.

If you're being 'commercially published' editing and marketing should be the same as if you were dealing with the big publishers.

A lot of self-publishing companies use POD, so yes the author pays and has to do all the editorial and marketing work.
  • I think that no matter how you are published it is always essential to do the very best you can with the editing. If you look at a few self-published books you'll soon see a great many where the editing is abysmal. But even when you do as through a job as you can, perhaps even with professional help, a publisher is always likely to ask for more. The actual work will be down to the author or else every last detail will be with the author's agreement.
    My first publisher employed an in-house editor - whose job was basically proof-reading - and every change she made involved a phone call to me. My publisher asked for a few minor edits to tighten up the story and to highlight a couple of aspects. I worked on the suggestions and my edits were accepted without quibble. And my book is far better for this.
    As for marketing - it's never a good idea just to sit back and let the publisher do all the work. Self promotion always pays off.
  • edited October 2010
    Ceka, my company are doing the marketing, I met the marketing man last week, 36 years in the business, knows it backwards and has all the contacts he needs to do the job. They use Gardners, the big distribution company, to get my book out there. I just do my 'marketing' bit by going to festivals, or wherever I am invited to go to talk. They do the rest, by employing the media rep who is busy blanketing the world with press releases, or so it felt before the festival, anyway! POD doesn't mean you do all the work if you are with a creditable company.
  • edited October 2010
    But you do have to pay them and not the other way round? Is that how it works? Rivington has parted with money so that the book gets printed up?
    Anyone can pay to have their work published but it's not the same thing as 'getting taken on' by a 'proper' publishing house (ie Orion) is it?
    I must be very old-fashioned on this one. My novels may never publish, but when they do, I'd prefer that they were bought from me (as with my short stories). Somehow, paying to have one's own work put out there ... don't know why but it sticks in the proverbial 'craw'. Even if there's not much dosh involved, I would prefer the 'kudos' of the traditional route, it proves someone thought there was saleable merit in my work. And if it isn't good enough, then it will never be seen (probably a good thing, that!)
    Times they are a'changing ...
  • PS you may have noted that it's Monday morning and I'm not at work - HA! Unexpected day off cos someone wanted to swap a clinic. It's DELICIOUS sitting here, Hoss fed, HKCs snoozing and me spending ridiculous amount of time sipping tea and organising what I should be doing - there's lots of it, but I'm enjoying the luxury of moving the list round just because I can.
  • Ceka,
    There are some companies which are basically printers offering additional services to produce books which you can then market and they will take any manuscript you want to get published and turn it into a book. Some of these include various marketing packages which you can purchase.
    And there are publishers of the traditional sort, some of which are very big and some of which are very small. The big publishers use litho printing and will produce an initial print run of several thousand copies of a book. This involves a huge investment in each title which is which the small indpendent publishers tend to use POD technology. That makes unit costs greater, which squeezes profit margins. But it does make it possible for publishers to be more adventurous in what titles they will accept for publication because the risks are not as high.
    In the end there is no short cut for the author. You have to do you homework - check the track record of the publishers you approach. How long have they been in business, what other nooks do they publish?
    And, as a rule of thumb, I would say avoid any deal which involves paying to be published. And, yes, be prepared to get involved with a lot of self-promotion whether you are with an small independent publisher or a big corporation.
  • I haven't paid to have my book out there, Ceka, I got an advance and a proper contract for royalties, etc. But they use POD so they don't stock 10000s of copies, they print 1000 at a time.
  • Thank you both.
  • That's great news about Solidus, Rivington. Congratulations!
  • Great news - what an enjoyable way to receive a rejection.
  • Indeed great news and well done. This thread has proved very useful in terms of understanding POD - my other half mutters darkly about vanity publishing and I keep trying to tell him that it's no longer like that. It would be most useful if those who can recommend good POD publishers would mention their names. For those of us still wading in the mire it would be illuminating ! And well done to dorothyd too - a thousand at a time sounds impressive to me ! If I ever get an audience of thousands I shall be breaking out the champagne.

On another note, it would be good to hear from those involved in their own publicity which methods they found most fruitful. Local press releases ? I have had excellent results from these with community campaigns but never tried with writing.