Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Shortlist Press - new digital-only, short story publishing house

edited October 2010 in - Resources
Info and sub guidelines at http://www.shortlistpress.com/

Re: payment they say "We believe both that writers should be paid properly and readers should not have to spend a fortune to find new writers, and our prices reflect that. Short stories will be priced at 99p each to provide the best of both worlds: a competitive price for the reader and a fair return for the author. Shortlist Press works on a no-advance, profit-share basis."

The site is run by editor Clare Hey.

Comments

• looks good, thanks for that, Lily.
  • "99p....a fair return for the author"

I know it's not always about the money, but...did someone redefine the term 'fair' while I wasn't looking?
  • [quote=bored_robots]"99p....a fair return for the author"[/quote]
    Yes, I wondered about that too. Not much left there for the author, I suspect.
  • I was assuming you get a percentage from each sale of 99p.
  • I think the percentage needs to be made clear before anyone submits work to them.
    It's all too loose in detail for me.
  • I'll see if I can find out more - came across it on Twitter recommended by several people. I'm following her - and she seems OK so hopefully she'll be up front.
  • edited October 2010
    Here's what Clare Hey has replied - all sounds fair enough to me.

Good to hear from you and thanks for publicising Shortlist Press, it's much appreciated.

Fair enough question on the profit share - it is 50/50 after overheads of the price we receive. So, if a reader buys a story direct from the website, it will be 99p minus a percentage for the overheads, split 50/50. If a reader buys from amazon, the 50% would come from the amount we receive from amazon (they take a larger cut, something we can't get away from). I can't be too detailed on the overhead amount as it's commercially sensitive but it is as low as I can possibly make it (a minimal percentage). Of course, any authors we sign up would have a contract which details this in full.

Hope that's useful. Thanks again for all your interest.
    Clare
  • Sounds an interesting idea, but it seems odd she can't say how much an author will get for each sale.
  • she doesn't want to give away commercial information, I guess.
  • I like the look of this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Lily. I guess the more you sell the more you make so it would be good to promote your work as much as you can to receive greater returns.
  • This does look good - thank you.
  • edited November 2010
    There's a similar opportunity here

http://www.bubblecow.co.uk/2010/10/how-to-get-your-short-stories-published-and-even-get-paid/

I didn't put that cow in - it just appeared when I copied the link!