Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing about Witchcraft?

edited October 2010 in - Resources
If your short story or novel even touches on the subject of witchcraft I would highly recommend a visit to The Witchcraft Museum in Boscastle, Cornwall.

Their relaunched website at http://www.museumofwitchcraft.com/ contains valuable and vital information about the history of British and European witchcraft. The museum contains Europe's largest collection of artefacts and rare exhibitions.

The museum itself is a wonderful place. I have visited in person may times, danced outside with Hunters Moon Morris and got pleasantly sozzled in The Welly pub where the museum's owner - the lovely Graham - regularly sings, when he's not out rescuing lost yachters.

Comments

• I remember being taken there by my parents when I was little. Very scary!

I was so glad that it was saved a few years ago.
  • edited October 2010
    [quote=LilyC]Hunters Moon Morris [/quote]

What exactly is Hunters Moon Lily? My friend's mum used to have that as a name for her house.

Edited to say, have just googled it. Didn't realise there were so many moons.
  • The Hunters Moon (though I must add that I am anti-hunt) is the brightest full moon in the year around September/October. In some places it's when you have - at the same period of the year - a second full moon in the same month after the Harvest Moon, so a rare occurrence.
  • There is a house of a witch who died in 1982 in the New Forest, Bournemouth too. Where she lived has been turned into a 'witchy' village. I highly recommend visiting there too, but I never remember the name of the witch!
  • edited October 2010
    The village is Beaulieu. or some such spelling.
    The spiritualist group I belong to got itself together to do a day trip to Bournemouth Spiritualist Church. The driver of the coach didn't know who we were, but half way along the road suggested we call off there ... and wondered why we all fell about laughing.

Boscastle's a tad too far for me to go visit, unfortunately. And no, I don have holidays ...
  • This last full moon was the Hunter's Moon - also sometimes called 'The Blood Moon' (not sure why)