Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I lost it but now it's found !

edited November 2010 in - Writing Tales
I thought I'd lost it forever. But today I have found it and the best thing about it is I can't remember writing a lot of it, so it's like reading something that someone else has written. And you know something - I'm quite impressed.

What am I on about ? 5,200 and odd words of a novel I am writing that went AWOL about a year and a half ago. It wasn't actually the text that went absent, rather that compartment of my memory that was incorrectly labelled and badly filed. So it's been a bit exciting reading and editing my own stuff. It's also given me a boost to think that maybe there's all sorts of other literary masterpieces of mine hidden away on my computer's hard drive and probably on my own too.

Thanks NaNo WriMo. I might not have got far with a new novel, but I'm happy I found the old one.

Comments

• It is sometimes a boost to find something forgotten. Did I really write that? Not bad, not bad. Maybe I should carry on with this writing lark :-).
    Sometimes, though, I find really old pieces wot I wrote [:-)] and cringe :-(
  • Well done and good luck :)

I was terrible for backing up my work (till I read my own article on organisational skills :D) and I have lost a load of work to busted hard drives and corrupted cds. I thought the floppy disc was perfect for storing docs and I have loads with old work on (but no floppy drive to retrieve it - I am after a USB one). Add to this I recently mislaid my 1 gig dongle with loads of stuff on - I think I accidentally threw it out cos the cap is still here :(

I'm useless :D
  • It's the nicest feeling in the world to read something you've forgotten about and liking it! Good for you, Lexia! :)
  • [quote=collide-o-scope]I was terrible for backing up my work (till I read my own article on organisational skills )[/quote]

Me to the letter, cos !

Hope your work comes back to you (like mine did ... ) in the future. My main problem is that I save things loads of times , on cd and dongles etc etc just in case. Then I get in a tizzy not knowing which is the latest and which is an old version. And of course I throw a paddy now and then and "clear out my mind" by throwing things out. Usually it's only the important stuff that gets thrown out, not the cXXp that's been hanging around for yonks, just doing nowt.

Nice to know I am not alone in my "thinking" ;)
  • edited November 2010
    I managed to extract a lot of work through making a slave of some of the busted drives - I even rescued a complete book (non-literary) that I thought I had lost forever.

A lot of storage issues are simple common-sense. For example I have 9 articles to write this month. I will store them all with the prefix November (November Time Management, November Word etc) as this will keep all of this month's grouped together so I can see how many I have started and it also avoids confusion with previous articles I had written on the same subjects. Simple yes - but very effective.

Mind lexia I did enjoy Sunday ;)
  • Glad you found this old work Lexia. :)

CoS, I've started using month and year to distinquish between different drafts of my short stories, novel chapters, so it is now easier to find the version I want.
  • good news, Lexia. The best thing is when you find the old work and still like it. My 30 year old stories, which are being accepted at the moment, have pleased me very much. They don't want work, which is soooooooooooo nice.
  • Lovely feeling, that, Lexia. Long may it continue!