Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Devils, Demons and Werewolves

edited November 2010 in - Writing Tales
Didn't think i'd ever have any successes to write about but I have just had my first short story 'Strange Love' published in Bridge House's latest anthology for young adults, 'Devils, Demons and Werewolves'. It's a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling!

Comments

• wow well done that's amazing news :)
  • brilliant! Well done you!
  • Great news, congratulations.
  • Oh well done, Seaview - bottle that feeling!
  • That's great news Seaview. Well done.
  • Yummy! Well done Seaview!
  • Congratulations seaview!!
  • Well done.
  • That's fantastic!
  • Big congrats Seaview!!
  • Congratulations Seaview!
  • It's so lovely to come on here this morning and see all your congratulations - it's made my day! :)
  • wonderfull news Seaview, well done
  • ...and I appear in the 'author's profile' section of one of our local papers, The Mourne Observer, as a result of a telephone interview with one of their reporters yesterday morning - my head is spinning a bit!
  • double congratulations
  • great news, Seaview - well done.
  • Congratulations Seaview. I have a story in there too, "The Guardian". It's a nice, warm feeling isn't it, even if the stories are relatively chilling.
  • yet more congratulations!
  • Congratulations to you! Which story is yours Bankok Girl?
  • congrats to both of you, great news!
  • It was "The Guardian" Seaview. The last story in the book.
  • That was the one about the plague pit, wasn't it - very nice, Bangkok Girl :) Well 'nice' is probably not a good word to describe such a subject - but you know what I mean!
  • Well thank you. I am trying to arrange a talk with a year six class, to promote writing in general and this book in particular.
  • Congratulations Seaview and BG!
  • Good idea - I hadn't thought of approaching the local schools. I did a telephone interview with a local reporter last week and they published quite a hefty write up in the paper (about me rather than the book - pic on front page and all - which was a bit of a surprise!)I think another couple of local rags are featuring it this week and although DDW is available from WHSmith, Waterstones etc online I convinced a small independent newsagent in the town to take orders, so if none of this works - at least I tried!
  • Good for you! I shall see what comes of my talk. It is always difficult overseas because of getting books out. I know Bridge House will post them but it is how many to have immediately available that is important. We'll see how much interest it generates! Good luck with the local shops.
  • Congratulations!
  • Congratulations, and please remember that even getting a letter in a national newspaper is testimony to your writing ability. I remember being told at one Winchester Conference that those letters should be in your CV! Do you keep them, cos I must admit I don't? Even if you are not paid for publication in small magazines, you can shout from the tree tops:
    'I AM A WRITER.'
  • It'll be interesting to compare notes after a while as to what has and hasn't worked in terms of sales. I bumped into the reporter in our local on Friday night where she was doing a photo of a sports presentation and she said that she was going to ask for a follow up to mention that the book was available locally, as unfortunately they hadn't confirmed before the press deadline, so hopefully that will generate some orders from local people - quite a few people have stopped me in the street and asked about it as they've seen my pic. I even got approached in the dentist on Friday morning - yes it's a small place!
  • Hi toothlight, I used to keep a copy of all the articles I had published in the trade press as it was one way of justifying my salary ! (I was a corporate writer for an RTO) But they're in the loft somewhere and have never seen the light of day since we moved back to Ireland. With the more recent ones I've kept the newspapers and no doubt if I'm lucky enough to keep getting published I'll continue to do so.