Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Need to organise a book signing - gulp

edited November 2010 in - Writing Tales
My second book is almost ready for launch and I have to organise book signings. Has anyone done one? What should I expect? (At best, I'm expecting a lonely me, sitting at a table surrounded by books, with staff looking at me in pity. At worse I'm expecting the shop in question will look down at me saying, we only want real authors in our store. Pee off.)

Comments

• Is it a small independant or a bigger name?
  • Waterstones and WHSmith.
  • Wow.
    Is it a weekday or a weekend? (that does seem make a difference in how many people are around)

Have you got your postcards/leaflets with your book details on so you can give them to anyone who looks but doesn't buy at the time?
  • No idea how you organise this, Louise, but best of luck with it!
  • the manager will do the work, Louise, in the store anyway, table, window display, etc. What you need to do is ensure local press know. Be prepared to be ignored for the most part. I was fortunate in my book signing in Waterstones for Captain Of The Wight,. the manager spent most of the time standing with me and talking. The best time, he said, is between 11 and 1, when they get the most people in. Have leaflets handy but don't expect queues! Best of luck with it.
  • Maybe you could organise some scandal associated with you or the book. That usually revs up interest!
  • How exciting! Can't help, but look forward to hearing others' suggestions and how you get on.

I remember reading a tip suggesting you ask a couple of friends/family to keep popping in to talk to you in exchange for a copy of the book and a cream tea or something. Nothing's more interesting to punters than what someone else is looking at.
  • What Lily says - try to get as many friends and family to drop by as possible. If the store will allow it, have a bowl of goodies of some kind on your table. (I used liquorice allsorts as the shop wouldn't allow chocolate) All the kids stopped to grab some - which meant the parents had to stop too, if only to drag the kids away. That gives you time to make eye contact and hand them a bookmark or postcard with details of yourself and if possible your book cover on it.

And remember, even if you don't sell masses of books, it's all good publicity. The more posters you can have around with your book title and your name on them, the better. People will register it and even if they don't stop... and next time they see it, they'll notice it that bit more.

Local press too, as suggested above - try to get a feature in there as close to signing day as possible (but make contact a week or two before). Phone worked better for me than email. Also think of trying local radio... you never know, they might be trying to fill a slot and may invite you on (they did me, twice).

I had one good book signing, one mediocre one and two disappointing ones - the worst being on a hot summer's day in Borders in Brum when not a single person bought a book. Of the two people who stopped to speak to me, one wanted to convert me to her faith and the other wanted to persuade me to buy her book! Very funny in retrospect. Keep a sense of humour, it's the only way...

Best of luck and have fun!
  • Lol @ Rosalie

Thanks everyone for your support and help. I think the sweets is a good idea. I shall ask the store if I can take in something (best not chocolate, but only because I'll eat them!).
    The signing will have to be a week day unfortunately unless I can get time off work. But I'll try and arrange a midmorn/day slot. Radio and newspaper feature also brings me out in a cold sweat, but these things have to be done.

I keep telling myself, that even if I were a traditional writer, I'd still have to be doing these things because they'd be arranged by the agent.
  • What you must not do under any circumstances is give a blow by blow account of what your book is about and the publishing of it.

I had to wait for OH in Waterstone's not long ago and this man was doing a signing of his book. OMG! I sat down near and quarter of an hour later he was till pinioning a poor family who had stopped to look with a jaw achingly boring run-down of the quality of paper and his characters and the illustrator and... actually, he was so boring I couldn't even listen so I have no idea what he was talking about except a vague idea that it was de trop.

I would definitely have an exciting precis of your book to give people and an idea of how to answer any questions succinctly and interestingly!
  • Good Luck Louise!

Another important point is to practice your signature :-)
  • All the best with it Louise.
  • Don't know what it would cost, but if you can have bookmarks made which promote your book, they'd be good to give away.

Liz is right about the boring details. I went to an author talk and she mentioned, amongst other things, the really nice way her book was bound. I'd lost all interest long before she got round to talking about the actual story.
  • edited November 2010
    I hope you will enjoy the experience as much as I enjoyed mine. I had the booksigning in our local Asda (I know it sounds very downmarket). The manager arranged a table for me near the entrance, with a large tin of chocolates and a member of staff to help, if needed. I signed and sold 40 books that day, with several people contacting me afterwards. Several photographs were taken and the local paper reported the event. Good luck, Louise!
  • Verica, that's interesting. What was/is your book about?

louise, from a parent's point of view, I'd prefer wrapped sweets (hate my kids delving in where other fingers have been) and also agree, keep the chat about your book to the exciting bits, not about the quality of "yawn" paper used and bookbinding methods.

Good luck louise. :)
  • It's my autobiography, Dora - you can look at my webpage to see what it's about and comments (www.vericathefind.info). I gave quite a lot of the books away and am down to the last dozen or so, but don't know now whether to re-publish the updated version or wait and try to get an agent or publisher. My husband thinks he might put it on Kindle. I didn't put it on Amazon and was very annoyed when I saw that a signed copy I had given to Maureen Lipman, after being asked to do so by a film star friend of one of our acquaintances, was on Amazon for £30!!!
  • Verica - I've just read through your website. You're an inspiration.
  • Verica what a story. Have you not sent this to any filmamkers? I'm certain it would be a great and inspirational film.
  • Having looked at your website Verica I can understand why so many people wanted to buy your book that day.

[quote=Verica]I didn't put it on Amazon and was very annoyed when I saw that a signed copy I had given to Maureen Lipman, after being asked to do so by a film star friend of one of our acquaintances, was on Amazon for £30!!! [/quote]

Do you mean, Maureen Lipman put it on Amazon? What a rude thing to do unless the profit from it was intended for charity do you think?

Totally agree with Lily's comment too,Verica.
  • I was in Waterstones today and they had two book signings going on, one on the ground floor that didn't seem to be going too well and the second in the children's department that was clearly doing well.
  • Maybe they had the sweets out in the children's dept Carol?

Actually I took the boys into Waterstones the Saturday before the half term and there were some interesting projects going on. My boys could have stayed there all day, building lego men, etc.
  • No, I looked and didn't see any goodies. :(
  • Not even Bill Oddie?
  • Don't forget to tell us when and where it will be. Perhaps a TBer will be able to come along and chat to you.
  • Thank you very much for all your comments. I didn't mean to highjack Louise's topic.

Yes, S Tony, so many people have said that it would make a good film, even suggesting suitable actors, but I felt I was not capable of writing the script and, as suggested by the commissioning editor of a large publishing company, I sent the Manuscript to Spielberg's Agents. When I didn't hear from them for a long time, I telephoned them in America, to be told that all unsolicited manuscripts are destroyed.

Recently, when a tutor came to give a workshop to our writers' group, I mentioned that it was suggested that the book would make a good TV or film production, he suggested that I may like to get in touch with Soho Writers and he would let me know if they would be interested, but I don't know how much it would cost.
    He also said that he was seeing a company who was interested in doing something for the Paralympians, so maybe they would sponsor the publication of my book of advice to people from very many personalities in sport, politics, film and TV, to be published in aid of the British Disabled Ski Team/Paralympic Ski Team, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I'm entering competitions and hope I'll be lucky in some - someone has to win (smiley). At the request of Forward Press I've also sent four poems, which have been accepted in the last few weeks and it would be lovely to have a book of poetry published. Also, I've had several poems published in an American e-publication, including a prayer.

This is the second time I've written the above, as the first time it disappeared and in red the comment appeared: You are not allowed to participate in discussions, as you are not signed in (or something similar). I hope the same doesn't happen again! I AM SIGNED IN!
  • [quote=louise]My second book is almost ready for launch and I have to organise book signings[/quote]

Congratulations! How far are you from Reading? I'll come along and support you (work and distance permitting).
  • Thank you PBW, Reading is a little far :( I'm in Northampton.

I never thought of trying a Supermarket to sign in. Might be worth asking!
  • I've found all these ideas interesting. When I published my book I intended to look into doing a book signing but because of personal circumstances have been unable to do so, but am now thinking about it again. I do find it a scary prospect though. I hope it all goes well for you louise.
  • How are you getting on, Louise? I'm sure this thread is of great use to anyone comtemplating the same thing.
  • Hi Lou.

I have got a few signings setup for the New Year in Waterstones. WHSmith don't want to know :(

My local library is interested in me giving a "talk". Not sure about that though - book signings will be bad enough. I will let everyone know how I get on.
  • Our local Waterstones is dreadful - no reply to phonecalls, letters, emails - can't even book a meeting let alone a book signing.
  • edited December 2010
    talking's not a problem, Louise, and would be good for promotion. Go with enthusiasm for your book, impress them with how you wrote it and what it's about and see what questions you generate. Could be good for you. I spoke to St Helens Historical Society on my Captain of the Wight book and all but got carried away once I started, 45 minutes! and 20 mins of questions. It was really interesting and good experience, too. It boosts your confidence no end.

KJ, that's a shame! The Newport one was very keen to have me there when Captain of the Wight came out, local author and all that. I thought your local branch would be the same.
  • Do the library talk Louise they are usually very good. It's also a way of supporting your library in the community.
  • I'd like to do the talk, but I'm not very good at talking. I get tongue-tied and I can't pronounce words. :(
    End up looking like a melon.
  • The best way to do a talk is to be organised, to know your stuff, what it is you want to say, to know what it is you want to get across.

Prepare a talk then stand up on your own by your dining table and see how it goes, then try it in front of a friend.

You proly only get tongue tied, etc, because you haven't prepared.
  • what I did for the Literary Festival I went to was condense my book into a series of headings, which I wrote out in huge letters across an A4 sheet. This I put in a plastic sheet so it wouldn't fly away and then kept it in front of me. I didn't need it, fortunately, but it was a fail safe if I did. Being able to talk is part of the promotion for your book and the library is the perfect place to start, you may not have such a big audience as you might get later on, when the publishers will want you to go places, as mine did. Start small, build up, you can do it!
  • Thanks ladies. It's something I want to do, believe me. It's just that I don't think I'll be any good. And who'd want to listen to me rambling on? lol I think I'll get the signings out of the way, and go from there.

Self belief is what I need for Christmas I think. :)
  • seriously, give it a try. Anyone interested in books will want to hear you rambling on.