Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Getting quotes for articles

edited December 2010 in Writing
This is a very beginner's question but, hey, we all have to start somewhere!

When you are writing factual articles, like 'What you really need to know about sugar', 'How to land the perfect job' or 'Patio gardening in a bathtub', how do people get quotes for their articles? Do you just email/ring possible experts in the field, explain what you're writing and ask for a quote to go with the article?

I notice that sometimes articles contain things like: Joe Bloggs, author of How to Get Rich Quick' says "don't be afraid to sell your granny if necessary". Then they might quote him again later. Do they just lift sentences from the book and let Joe know they're doing this or do they get an interview with him?

I've got some ideas for magazine articles but need ideas about how to get quotes from experts to back them up.

I hope someone can help! Thanks.

Comments

• I would like to know the same thing actually.

But I would think, if it is a quote from a book, then saying what you did re: Joe Bloggs would be acceptable, as he would get the necessary mention and you would avoid plagiarism etc.

But I was thinking of having quotes for one of my articles......but I don't need them now!

Always useful to know peoples thoughts though.
  • I don't ever use quotes in my articles, I write them straight as my own and avoid any possible copyright problems.
  • I believe you're allowed to quote small sections from books etc as long as you attribute them correctly. I think your example above would be fine.

You could call or e-mail people, if you can get the contact details. It depends on the individual and situation. If you'd just read Joe Blogg's world famous book and then called him to ask if he thought people should be afraid to sell granny he might be annoyed at you wasting his time as his opinion would already be well known.

Always be very sure to get people's names correct and be sure you're not quoting incorrectly or out of context. A short, correct quote shouldn't cause you any trouble, but get anything wrong and you could cause upset, anger, embarressment or even get yourself sued.
  • I find many organisations have departments for dealing with the press, or even will have their press releases on News pages on their website which may include direct quotes you can use.
  • I email requests. I need quotes for my articles and one I'm working on now required one from an MP. He happily sent an email response and even added the quotation marks for me!

Quotes are important. They bridge the difference between an author's opinion and fact. I can give my opinion on a matter, but facts are needed and if they're backed up by a quote they bring an article alive.

I mention in the email that I may use their reply - that gives them the opportunity to either decline the invitation or to waffle on.
  • Approaching someone for a direct and relevant quote is best if you can achieve it.