Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I know I am reading a good book when ...

edited January 2011 in - Reading
I know I am reading a good book when ...

it has stains on the pages as I have been reading it while making/drinking tea/coffee,

it's wet from reading it in the bath,

it has a squashed fly or two sandwiched between it's pages from reading in the garden,

I feel bereft in the time between finishing it and starting another ...

Comments

• Three cheers for a good book. You can't read an e-book in the bath!
  • ...it stays in my library and not the local recyling plant.
  • ...I want to read the book again and then again.
  • I'm still awake reading at 2am because I 'only' have 100 pages left to go and I have to find out how it ends, even though my eyes are so sore and gritty that I can barely stay awake to squint at the text.
  • I'm like that sometime when I'm near the end of a thriller...
  • when I lose myself in it so completely I don't want to come back to real life.
  • Bit of a redundant statement for me really because I'll only be reading it if it's good. If I'm not reading it then it was bad.
  • I'm the same as Red - OH and I keep the really good ones. Some of our books have travelled from Spain to the UK and then on to Fiji. Believe me, they had to be outstanding for us to pay to transport them over here! :)
  • I simply CAN'T put it down!!!
  • it says on the blurb "This is a good book to read"
  • Firemen kick the front door in cos the chip pan is ablaze.
  • When I read far into the night when anybody with any sense is asleep.
  • [quote=dora]it says on the blurb "This is a good book to read" [/quote]

But dora, you must not believe everything you read ! ;)
  • ..I'm sick with envy I didn't write it.
  • ...I'm so immersed in the story I don't even consider it's a book.
  • That too!
    You're all pinning down just the way I feel.
    I was re-reading The Sojourner by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (The Yearling author) a week or so back, for at least the 5th or 6th time and got lost as always in the storytelling to the point when once again Asahel became real and I felt grief when he died.
  • edited January 2011
    When I actually make time to read it, and when I start wondering what's going to happen next inside my head, as usually that's when my stories come alive and I can't focus on college.

Oh, and when I cry at a sad thing. Then it's good.
  • You start to cancel outings with friends to snuggle down with your book and a coffee and pull the phone out of wall and mobile turned to silent.
  • ...I read almost non-stop until it's finished.
    I want to read it again and again.