Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Re-submitting articles

edited January 2011 in Writing
Hi all, does anyone know the rules [for want of a better phrase] how long before we can use an article -touched up of course, to another magazine? I thought I'd read something somewhere about it being one year. Is this acceptable provided of course the writer has the sole rights. Thank you

Comments

• Also need to check that the article hasn't be printed in a potential market country as some magazines are issued in other countries as well as the UK.
  • Write the article from a different perspective and it might be marketed at the same time to relevantly different publications.

It is not "wrong" to market the one article simultaneously, just don't expect to gain subsequent acceptance from specific publishers. Much better to theme any article for particular target market and redraft it for subsequent sales.
  • If you have retained the right to have it published elsewhere and the magazine who originally published it don't stipulate a time before that can happen, you can send it out again when you like. Be sure to tell the second publication when and where it was first published (after checking they actually take reprnts - many don't) and they can decide if they're happy with that.

Alternatively, rather than 'touching up' the first one, use the information to write a new article and submit that when and wherever you like.
  • I don't think the 'rules' are international and as a result I have always played safe with articles and never try to get even a rewrite published again in the same country.