Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Kindle Direct Publishing

Comments

• You probably need to ask HMRC.
  • I spent last night going through the conditions for claiming the tax back. My husband is helping me! It is very complicated but well worth it. Someone has kindly written all the instructions up on how you claim them. If anyone wants a copy email me through my website and I will send them to you. Be prepared! One step at a time is the thing!
    www.carolarnall.com
  • Word of warning:

E-books are VAT-able unlike print books.
  • Yes, that was mentioned earlier on.
  • It seems that America's Internal Revenue Service is likely to deduct 30% of your earnings from a US company if you haven't completed the necessary paperwork to prove you are subject to the UK tax system.

Sofiya - I hope I've paraphrased your friend correctly.
  • For Randomguy.
  • I found it relatively straightforward by doing my formatting in Word. I used Mobipocket translator, which you can download for free, to import the word file and check the fomatting and then have the right file type to upload to Kindle. I hit 3 problems:
    1. On the Mobipocket viewer the lines ran off the side and I spend ages trying to fix it to no avail - this turns out to be a problem with mobipocket and not my formatting - when it was uploaded to Kindle the Kindle viewer before publication appeared fine.
    2. Pricing - Mobipocket allows for Euros and dollars - I spent ages browsing the web for a solution - it is irrelevant. You input your price to Kindle directly. It does not upload from Mobipocket.
    3. Formatting poetry is different to formatting other work. Kindle automatically indents the first line of each paragraph. This does not look right on single stanza poems. I went through Word replacing hard returns with soft returns to have new lines without it regarding them as paragraphs. I effectively used the line break between the stanza as the paragraph so that the indent was on a blank and then had the first line of the stanza as a soft return. I did the same with headings so that they were not indented. You ahve to be very careful on your formatting to make sure it is all consistent. I do find WOrd can be a pain as every so often it seems to have a mind of its own and you need to force it down the path you want.
  • A shame Kindle didn't think of it - or they didn't feel like making things easy.
  • Thanks for bumping the thread. Still a project that I don't seem to have time for is converting my book Ordinary Monsters to the Kindle....

Looks as though Mobipocket is a little painful to work with. I'll read through the rest of this thread now and see what tips I can pick up.
  • I save my work for Kindle to RTF and don't bother with Mobipocket. I recently edited one of my books and added about 20 photographs to it. When I was ready to publish it I checked it on the DTP preview platform and saw a few errors so I corrected them. Clicked it for republishing and it all worked perfectly. I have tried mobipocket but found it a bit complicated, whereas Kindle convert your book for you as long as you save it to the files they recommend.
  • http://carol-bevitt.blogspot.com/2011/03/kindle-direct-publishing.html

Here is the link to my blog Q&A on the subject. I've kept it simple for those who may not have considered this option, but you will find the links highlighted will take you to more information.
  • edited March 2011
    Is it just me ...? Carol's links are barely visible on my computer. They certainly don't stand out even though I understand they're orange. Can anyone suggest what's going wrong?
  • I just had a look, they are a little difficult to read. I think it's the bright background. How does it look on your screen, Carol?
  • edited March 2011
    I can see them okay.
    I made the link text darker- so it was more obvious against the background colour- when I tried out some colour adjustments a few weeks ago.
    It could be to do with your screen settings, as I know altering mine gets a very different effect when I look at text.
  • I'm sorry, Carol, I didn't give you credit for midia's interview, just to midia, on the other Kindle thread.
  • Midia, or anyone - can I ask what is the difference between going for the 35% royalty option and the 70%? I couldn't see what the difference was, but there must be an advantage in going for the lower option but I don't see what it is?
  • edited March 2011
    Carol may be posting something about this soon. Carol! Ah, has she got Internet problems?
  • My computer has been playing up this past few days so I'm doing a lot of maintenance routines. Plus my kids have started using Facebook- that seems to give our computer trouble, so I have to keep restarting it.

I haven't yet got my head around the royalties issue, but I'll be getting back to the details later today.
  • PB, if you select the 70% royalty option this is only for sales in the UK, Canada or the USA. The 35 % option is a little more compicated because you have to adjust your list price from time to time and it says your book may be available for free through 'other channels'. I opted for the 70% option because I think I will make most of my sales with these countries. There is more info about it here:
    http://forums.kindledirectpublishing.com/kdpforums/entry.jspa?externalID=393
  • Paperbackwriter here's a link to your question. It gives you all the information about the 70% etc royalty. Your book has to be priced at between $2.99 & $9.99 to get the 70%. At the moment I'm selling at the lower figure. This suits me fine as once I lowered my price my sales increased rapidly. For me sometimes less is more! Of course once the Kindle came to the UK things improved even more. I do have lots of sales in the US so I get hit by the higher tax! You can't have it all...
    If you visit the community on the dtp you will find lots of answers to your questions and other links. I've found it very useful 'taking the tour'.
    http://forums.kindledirectpublishing.com/kdpforums/entry.jspa?externalID=377
    I hope this helps.
    www.carolarnall.com I have some Indie author interviews on my site that make excellent reading plus a Ghost Corner!
  • Hold fire with the queries - we may be able to post something soon which will clarify things. Thanks.
  • Paperback writer here's another link that helps explain things for you.
    http://forums.kindledirectpublishing.com/kdpforums/entry.jspa?externalID=437&categoryID=20
  • See the new thread about Kindle Direct and Smashwords for more information.
  • This is brilliant stuff, thanks guys. Yes I found the new thread too - thanks JM.
  • I have submitted my blog for accessing as a paid download. Not sure why someone would pay when it is free, but that is their choice. It is only the US that does this so unfortunately payment is by foreign cheque. Oh well, I don't suppose there will be any revenue, but if there is maybe I will open a dollar account and save for a trip to the States.
  • Update: I am now at number four in the Kindle best-seller supernatual charts, number 25 in the best-seller mind, body, spirit (Tarot) charts and number 46 in the best-seller women's fiction chart. Sales both here and in the States seem to be doing well at the moment.
    xxx
  • Good news Midia.
  • Wow Midia; congratulations!
  • Well done!
  • edited April 2011
    Well done Midia.

I am planning to put a book on Kindle, it's a fantasy story for age 11+ ( a few swear words)
    I just looked at the categories on Kindle and it seems YA are under the children's section? Isn't there a YA section?
  • congratulations, Midia!
  • Very interesting article that answers lots of questions at http://thenextweb.com/media/2011/03/07/the-economics-of-self-publishing-an-ebook/
  • This is interesting re children's books

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/meegenius_brings_childrens_e-books_to_all_platform.php
  • [quote=midia]Update: I am now at number four in the Kindle best-seller supernatual charts, number 25 in the best-seller mind, body, spirit (Tarot) charts and number 46 in the best-seller women's fiction chart. Sales both here and in the States seem to be doing well at the moment.
    xxx [/quote]

My god you are brilliant!
  • What a great success story, Midia!
  • I recently published my first novel 'Virtual Companions' on Kindle. You can read all about it at my blog at:

http://petschronicles.blogspot.com/

You can find my the book at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Virtual-Companions-Pets-Chronicles/dp/B004LZ527G/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302535956&sr=1-5

The novel is set in the future and is about our world where the cell phones are sentient.
  • Hi, Stewart. Have you any tips about publishing using Kindle?
  • What are sales like Stewart?
  • I've put a marketing guide for Kindle sellers on my website. A few people have used it and they've said it's helped them. If anyone wants a print copy email me through my website and I will send you one.
    The guide is simply a few tips and links that I've picked up along the way. I thought it might help people new to selling on Kindle.
    www.carolarnall.com
  • Thanks, Sofyia. May I put your above comment on our other thread about Kindle, Smashwords etc? (That's got quite a bit of info on it.)
  • Certainly Jay, that's good of you. I hope it helps someone out there. Carol A.
  • Well I've been and gone and done it. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Trapped/dp/B004WT7CWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM&qid=1303131676&sr=1-1
  • Well done! Have posted my review for you.
    xxx
  • Thanks, Midia.
  • Just ordered a copy, so you have your first sale!
    xxx
  • Wow! Thanks.
  • Whoop! Congratulations kateyanne! I've just downloaded the sample - you capture the boy's voice so well.

I know it's only a couple of quid but I get paid on Friday and will buy it then. In the meantime, can I ask how many pages did it work out at, and what size font did you use?
  • Thanks Lily! It is only just over 20,000 words so that's one reason I thought I'd put it on Kindle and 94 pages. My daughter-in-law did the cover for me, she's a graphic designer. Font size was 14.

If you do buy a book thanks and soon I'll be able to sign it for you :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378131/App-allows-authors-hold-eBook-signings-Kindles-iPads.html
  • Thanks for the info.

Sign the book? Now that's amazing! I read the article but I'm still a bit confused at how you do that. :)
  • [quote=sofyia]I've put a marketing guide for Kindle sellers on my website. A few people have used it and they've said it's helped them. If anyone wants a print copy email me through my website and I will send you one.
    The guide is simply a few tips and links that I've picked up along the way. I thought it might help people new to selling on Kindle.
    www.carolarnall.com[/quote]

Is it just me or is your site down?