Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The novelist's art (article)

edited February 2011 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8343461/The-Naive-and-the-Sentimental-Novelist-by-Orhan-Pamuk-review.html

The book might be jargon-free, but the review isn't - eg fabula and sujet, narremes ..

Comments

• pbwpbw
    edited February 2011
    I notice that regularly. I don't wish to be unkind, or be accused of 'sour grapes' but as I criticise my own writing more intensely, I now 'hear' what journalists are composing, particularly the broadcast media. Only this week I have heard 'green and verdant land' (sic) and 'big and immense' (sic), ouch! to both, I say. Yet if we novelists do it, we risk being run through the guts with the editor's pencil. It would make me laugh if it didn't annoy me so much. As for cliches, the radio vomits so many of them I can't think of an example to give you.
  • [quote=Jenny]The book might be jargon-free, but the review isn't - eg fabula and sujet, narremes ..[/quote]

Isn't this the point the reviewer is trying to make ? That is, that literary theory in the late 20th century was "turned into a pseudo-science." In layman's terms, they used unnecessary BIG WORDS that no one really understood, but pretended that they did.

Agree pbw. Journalism appears to be "going to the dogs" :) :)
  • It's on the way to the pits...