Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My Ping-Pong paid off

edited March 2011 in - Writing Tales
I've been pingponging a story back and forth to People's Friend for months - they finally accepted it today, whew.
I wrote the first version ELEVEN years ago ... persistence pays or what!

Comments

• Well done!
  • That has been a long time coming, but well done.
  • Well done!

[quote=ceka] persistence pays or what! [/quote] Fippin' eck ELEVEN years is grade A, first class gold plated peristence.
  • Hurray! Very encouraging to hear that.
  • That's what I call dedication. Well done Ceka - I'm exhausted just thinking about it!
    Child Lily x
  • 10/10 for persistence, Ceka!

(I read the title as "Mr Ping-Pong paid off"!)
  • just goes to show that you should give up on a story

well done Miss Determination
  • edited March 2011
    Well done just shows you must never give up. There's hope for diamonds!
  • Brilliant - well done.
  • Well done Lady Cake!
  • You need to re-title it, 'The Long Distance Runner'. Well done for perseverence.
  • brilliant news! *stands back in awe and amazement at your determination* -
    it took me 11 years to get my novel into print but your patience and persistence with a story is just amazing!
  • well done Ceka, did you just keep changing it , or just kept sending the same story??
  • Wow, tell us the details!
  • jsut goes to show that I should check my typing

sorry meant to say should never give up

niddy slouches back into corner and hides
  • Jennymf, Lou, here's the timetable
    According to my records I wrote it on 28/01/2000 in one initial sitting and it took 4 hours to write. Obviously it then got itself edited but the time span there is not noted. It was aimed at a magazine called 'Horse and Pony' - to which I sent it (then 1800 words) and from which I never heard again despite several letters - five contacts in total over the next 18 months with no result at all - the magazine vanished the following October. I shortened it to 1000 words and sent it to 'Pony' magazine who returned it without comment (Janet Rising, still editor there). Nothing is noted until 2005 when I rewrote and tried My Weekly - nope. Shortened again to 800 words it then went to Brownie magazine (the one about junior guides, they like animal stories ... except they folded as well and I never heard back.
    It was completely forgotten about until a competition came up for Derby Houseb last year and while I was looking at the 4 pony stories I'd written for onethat might suit, I thought I might try TPO with People's Friend. That was April last year - it came back with 'no but we'd review it if you changed xyz.' So I changed xyz and sent it back. In September it came back - 'not quite, perhaps try again with xyz in a different place'. So I changed another xyz and sent it back. Between January and now I think it's bounced back three more times with all the redos and retries and tweaks, yesterday the slots dropped into place and it was sold.
    Oh yes, and now it is 3000 words long!
    Talk about an elastic story. I wish I'd kept all the copies now, but I just overwrote each time.
    Persistence Pays!
    PS this was my 50th Paid-For story. I know folk like Phots have sold more than twice that but it still pleases me a lot to know that 50 times in MY life an editor liked my work enough to buy from me. I'm pretty sure I'll never sell any of the 11 novels I've written, but at least a few words of mine have been nationally and internationally read!
    And if I can't be pleased on here, a writing site, where else can I be pleased? Neither family nor anyone else round the Owlery gives a flying fox's furcoat ...
  • Wow that's a story in itself Ceka. Well done on the ping and the pong.
  • Being your 50th paid for story makes it really special, when you consider what it has been through. :)
  • Well done, Ceka! Why not send in a letter/an article about it to one of the magazines? "Is this a record?" "Persistence pays off!"
  • Wow I'm so impressed. Fantastic news and gold star for persistence. Goes to show 'Never Give Up'. Congratulations on reaching the fabulous fifty too.
  • loved the tale ceka when is it coming out in PF after all that effort I must read it, they are a helpful bunch at PF though.
  • Well done again Ceka and i agree with Jay write an article or letter about it.
  • that is good, Ceka. I know what you mean about people not giving a flying fox about anything you achieve... here I keep very quiet about everything. Doesn't do to mention it I get 'la la la la la la' and I give up. It is a good job we have TBers to talk to.
  • Wow, well done, Ceka!
  • [quote=kateyanne]i agree with Jay write an article or letter about it. [/quote]

you're a star

cek-k-k-k-kaaar

:)
  • Thank you all so very much. You lot never mind a gal having a quick trumpet blast - or if you do you're kind enough not to say so!
    Can't think who'd be interested in an article about it, but possibly a short story ... we'll see.
    Re the contemporary 'stable companions' of that story: one is coming out in PONY magazine this spring but the other two are still languishing but will I give up?
    If all else fails I could always have them read out at my funeral!
  • [quote=ceka]Can't think who'd be interested in an article about it,[/quote]

Well if you ain't gonna write it, ask BB to, she's good at hearticles, but I do think soembody somewhere WILL be interested, as well as YOU writing a short story about it ceka.
  • This story is now published in the People's Friend Spring Fiction Special and has been beautifully illustrated by Stephanie Axtell, my prime choice. I asked my editor if she could arrange it and she has!
    Persistence paid ... and published, now more than 12 years after the first keystrike ...
  • Congratulations Ceka! That is dedication and persistence.
  • [quote=ceka]I wrote the first version ELEVEN years ago [/quote]

You was what? Eleven when you wrote it?

Gawd.

Anyone written the accompanying article yet, or do we have to wait another eleven years for that?
  • I missed this thread the first time around. Well done, ceka!

p.s. the thread title made me think it was about Bangkok for some reason...
  • I thought ceka'd been bouncing around a ping-pong table and the resulting chest boings had attracted a dashing admirer.
  • Phew! Well done, Ceka.
  • [quote=dora]You was what? Eleven when you wrote it?[/quote]

what makes you think that, Dora?
    Nah, I've got me 'L' plates now, headin' up the 'ill and sooner or later I'll be over it
  • Well done ceka - what a pity you didn't keep all the copies, even if only for your own interest.
  • [quote=ceka]what makes you think that, Dora?[/quote]

too many glasses of rioja I fink
  • [quote=claudia]I missed this thread the first time around. Well done, ceka![/quote]
    I missed this too, and here's a ditto on the congratulatories. :) Marvellous, Ceka.
  • 'Snot in my people's friend spring special, wot I have jus read today. jus checked teh aufors names agin and ceka isn't there!
  • edited March 2012
    Check the right magazine!

[quote=ceka] in the People's Friend Spring Fiction Special [/quote]

The Spring FICTION special, Lolli. I have it in front of me, Page 33, entitled Lost and Found

;)
  • Well done. Maybe you could turn this tale of perserverance into an article for a writing magazine.
  • [quote=claudia]p.s. the thread title made me think it was about Bangkok for some reason...[/quote]
    Naughty. (Actually, the same thing crossed my mind, too. Oops.)
  • [quote=Island Girl]Actually, the same thing crossed my mind, too.[/quote]

:)
  • Well done ceka. I'll look out for it.
  • Ceka - I'm very late to the party here, but - wow, eleven years! - many congratulations. You've really 'kept the faith' in your story and I'm glad it's finally paid off for you.

I definitely think this deserves at least a letter to a writing magazine, if not an article - it shows that you should never be put off by rejection or magazines disappearing into the ether, and also that if you believe in the idea, the actual story can be re-jigged, stretched and squashed almost ad infinitum, until it evolves into its final form.

Great stuff.