Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Daily Challenge - what have you seen today?

Comments

• peacocks are amazing aren't they? :)
  • Yes they are amazing, dora.
    This one was so funny because we threw some corn down for it and it did a great performance of walking round and round and showing us it's bum before it picked the food up.

I have a pic of that too if anyone's interested
    ;)
  • yes, pics! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • In one of my neighbours front gardens there were a couple of rolls of loft insulation. And yesterday there was a group of sparrows pinching bits to make their nests.

It was sooooo cute!
  • I can see them okay Dorothy.
  • [quote=lexia] walking round and round and showing us it's bum before it picked the food up.[/quote]

.. there's a man in the park does that.
  • Dora - you should be on the stage!! :D
  • You mean one of those drawn by four black horses, flogged on by a headless guy in a black cape, Jenny?

"...they've come to take me away......"
  • The Cherry tree in my back garden is covered in pale white blossom. Some of the branches stretch toward the pink tinged magnolia flowers in the next door garden, where swaying horizontal branches tangle with the cherry.
  • We have 2 cherry trees in our garden - one has just finished blossoming the other is just about ot start... for some reason it is always like that - as the petals finish dropping off one the other blossoms.
  • Brimstone butterflies, borage, bluebells. Some dandelion clocks. Notices in the dentist's waiting room: "We are not raising our private fee's"; "Their may be delays"; and "to see emergency's".
  • an elderly man sitting on the wall outside a war memorial garden, in the blazing sun, wearing jacket, woollen scarf and trilby hat...
  • [quote=Jay Mandal] Some dandelion clocks[/quote]

That sounds almost like a title for a good book ! :)

'Clocks' so soon ? Dandelions here are just in full bloom and will be for a long while yet I think. I went round the garden pulling heads of them this morning - and by tea time they are all flowering again !
  • All the roadside grass verges round here are full of open dandelion flowers.
  • Please don't anyone here make dandelion wine else we'll need to install another toilet.
  • Lots of dandelions, too - at least where the council hasn't been out cutting the verges. I think the flowers are a couple of weeks early this year.
  • Yesterday High Street crammed with shoppers, we saw a man in full drag striding down the road with (seemingly) not a care in the world.
  • In the Times TV Guide ...

1. Theo Paphitis (Dragons Den) is a "stationary" tycoon :rolleyes:

2. Yuri Gagarin was only 5ft 2in (true but surprising).
  • I saw a womanstrip her baby in the middle of the clothes section at asda to try a dress on her, i thought thats what we had changing rooms for
  • [quote=dora] there's a man in the park does that.[/quote]
    LOL
  • [quote=Jenny]1. Theo Paphitis (Dragons Den) is a "stationary" tycoon [/quote]

Let's be honest Jenny, he very rarely leaves his Dragon chair, now does he.
  • My lovely husband is 50 in May and because he's a motorbike fanatic, he has at least 6 mostly classics, I bought him an old BSA 250. One of his friends friends was selling it because it's been in his garage for 10 years as he hadn't managed to get it running. OH has tinkered with it today for about half an hour and got it going and then spent about 15 minutes driving it up and down our garden path with a daft smile on his face :)
    We don't have close neighbours by the way ;)
    Talk about cat who got the cream... it made my day to see him so happy.
  • What a thoughtful present - and amazing that he could get it to work so quickly!
  • I sat for half an hour lunch time in a vehicle waiting for my partner, watching three Jehovah's Witnesses dividing up the street and knocking on doors, whilst the guy who lived in the first house came and went, came and went in the company van (never putting his seat belt on once and always parking on double yellow lines) who acted as if they were not there. At one point he opened his van door right into one of them. I guess he doesn't care for JWs...
  • Aww, always liked a tot of Johnny Walker meself.
  • Next door's cat (at least we think it belongs to next door) keeps trying to follow us in when we come in the front door.

Not a great idea when we have a greyhound in the house!

And at 6am a wood pigeon landed on our chimney and one of the chimney pots fell off! Luckily it missed the conservatory.
  • I saw this over a year ago, so not sure it is allowed, but it was very odd. Sitting in my car waiting for daughter when a very old man trundled past pushing a wheelbarrow. In the wheelbarrow was a toilet, I am not joking. He pushed it up the road and disappeared round the corner. It really made me laugh and to this day I wonder what he was doing. Lots of hilarious story potential.
  • edited April 2011
    Josette - Stewart has a toilet in the garden that is used for a planter, so maybe the old guy was going to use his for the same reason. Or maybe he was a plumber who didn't have a van ...

It's difficult to build yourself a home when the materials are larger than you yourself !
    Videoed this morning

[IMG]http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll361/bren257/th_DSCF7112.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
  • "The specified media does not exist." (Sic.)

I saw a robin on one of our fence posts, and another one nearby. And a sparrow having a dust bath.
  • Hmm - anyone know which bit to copy from photobucket to post a video ?
    Is it the IMG code or the URL code or the Direct link ?
  • A woodpecker as I was doing the washing-up.
  • Hmmm... doing it in the nude again Jay?
  • I saw a woman walking around with a breathing tube in her nose. A child with a bent, bandaged wrist go into an MRI scanner. Her mother was smiling bravely. My friend's son with one of her expressions on his face.
  • edited April 2011
    How rude!

Are we doing rhyming couplets?
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=Chippy]Not a great idea when we have a greyhound in the house![/quote]

One of our neighbours now has five cats, including a fluffy white one who's only a few months old and keeps coming into our garden. Either she wants to establish her territory or she's after the birds (more likely).

We have a greyhound lurcher who's pretty fast and we now have to try to make sure the cat isn't hiding in the bushes before we can let our dog out.

I know cats can't be kept in their own gardens, but it doesn't seem right that we can't just open the patio door and let the dog out without worrying that she's going to catch the cat. It's our garden, after all.

The other day, when it was warm, we had the patio door open and the cat was on the doorstep, peering in. Luckily the dog was asleep at the time.

We've mentioned this problem to the neighbour, but it seemed to go right over her head and she just carried on talking about her various cats.

We've now bought a big water pistol in the hopes of scaring the cat off. The intention isn't to make her wet - just to shoot the water near her.
  • Make her wet, it's harmless. And let the dog out, when she's nearish a fence - she has claws and jumping ability which the dog does not. Hopefully she'll get the message.

Some neighbours' cats were killed by a neighbor's dog - they had been de-clawed and couldn't escape up a tree.
  • Why, oh why, do people do that to cats?
  • I was waiting for a friend in train station by the ticket desk. A young girl came in dragging her big suitcase she told the woman on the desk her coach had not stopped for her and another bus driver outside said she could swap the ticket to get a train ticket. Surly looking woman said ' no can't do that you have to pay for one' the young girl aged about 20 said she had no money and no credit on her card. Lady behind her in queue with 2 children said she would buy her ticket and she could send money back to her!
    Would have been about £12. I thought that was very kind of her.
  • Not seen but heard.

Girl on train aged about 17 speaking to b/f on mobile.
    'Hiya it's me yeah Liam ain't going to that f...... steps thing again. I like it. We had to f......write about someone we like and say what we like about them
    I said you and that you are good at cooking and great at sex then we had to draw the person we like so I did you and I drew you with spiky hair and a big willy.'
  • [quote=kateyanne]good at cooking and great at sex [/quote]

Ideal husband material. :)
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Why, oh why, do people do that to cats? [/quote]

Because it means the furniture won't get scratched. Our cat didn't scratch anything but her posts, but now she's doing everything as she is showing her irritation at the dog!

In the USA it's common, especially as, unbelievably to us, most cats over there are kept entirely indoors - often because of the wild animals who would eat them.

Over here it is illegal, but these were imported, some weird and wonderful breed.
  • [quote=kateyanne]kateyanne wrote: good at cooking and great at sex

Ideal husband material.[/quote]

..the big willy would add a few brownie points too :)
  • [quote=Jenny]We've mentioned this problem to the neighbour, but it seemed to go right over her head and she just carried on talking about her various cats.[/quote]

Send her a letter, ask her if she read it, and then let your dog do as he pleases. Not kind to the cat I know, but cats do roam where they're not wanted.

I wouldn't put up with it.
  • [quote=dora]the big willy would add a few brownie points[/quote]

Doesn't that depend where he's sticking it?
  • Hmm yes, could end up being a sticky problem I agree.

Then again, for some, that could be an added bonus, I'm sure.
  • I have seen in the green, green grasses in the field, little nests of hay blown by the wind, clustered by bright red ladybirds, and spiders sliding down the sides.
  • edited April 2011
    er, I've lost track of who's sticking what where here ... :)
  • [quote=Jenny]amazing that he could get it to work so quickly! [/quote]

He's always had motorbikes, currently has about 5 others so he knows his way around them :)