Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to win friends and influence people - Not!

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Hmmm there were even minor errors in her bio...
    I've just realised she's actually older than me by five years, yet on her responses to that blog review she comes over as someone extremely young.
    Perhaps Patrick was right about her naivety.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the link, Jay.

Carol - I was also surprised to see that she was born in 1954. She must be very sensitive re her own feelings.
  • Minor errors! It's gobbledigook.
  • Stephen Fry just tweeted about it. It's getting lots of publicity.
  • [quote=Liz!]Minor errors! It's gobbledigook. [/quote]
    I was being kind in limiting it to the typos and bad grammar...:)
  • edited March 2011
    [quote=flyingtart]Isn't mobbing a form of bullying? Either way it's not attractive. And I agree, pretty boring.[/quote]

Not really as she jumped in when she could have stayed away and not only ignited the fire but fanned the flames. I don't think it's pretty though and it is the sort of thing that turns me off sites and people on the net. It is quickly becoming a meme and she really does need to be careful. What started out as a rant and a counter rant is now a worldwide joke. I doubt she meant for that to happen and maybe didn't even know it could. Some people are not that aware of how quickly and how widely the internet spreads. Or maybe she was aware and it's just an attempt to be the writing world's Rebecca Black.
  • Sadly she didn't recognise when to retire gracefully after she'd done the first rant, she lost the whole thing when she started on the expletives...
  • Jay said "An "official posting"? "
    Sorry my mistake, Jay. I forgot to look where I was posting.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Some people are not that aware of how quickly and how widely the internet spreads.[/quote]

That's very true, and indeed, if we e-publish we can only hope our work goes viral.
  • edited March 2011
    [quote=st force]Stephen Fry just tweeted about it. It's getting lots of publicity. [/quote]

So has Neil Gaiman - puts it down to the Dunning Kruger effect, which I hadn't heard of before. Interesting theory.

So it seems that English is her first langauage and she is over ten years older than me, even on my worst days I don't think I would tell someone to 'f' off. Naive I doubt, full of her own self importance maybe? I dunno, some of those posts were a bit nasty but when you read them in context with what she herself had said to the reviewer, you reap what you sow.
  • [quote=Neph]So has Neil Gaiman - puts it down to the Dunning Kruger effect, which I hadn't heard of before. Interesting theory. [/quote] I've never heard of it before either. Can you explain it to me?
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

It's what makes shows like Britains got Talent and the X Factor have such awful contestants who think they are so amazing.
  • Anyone prepared to admit they have the opposite syndrome: "illusory inferiority"? ;)
  • It seemed to me that she genuinely believed her work was free from errors and therefore the review was grossly unfair.
  • edited March 2011
    Interesting article, Neph.

I am, of course, one of the superior beings who underestimates my true abilities. That is why I think I'm rubbish at lots of things. (Or...) :)
  • edited March 2011
    [quote=Jenny]Anyone prepared to admit they have the opposite syndrome: "illusory inferiority"? [/quote]

Frequently, none of my paintings are ever any good, although people pay me money for them. I seriously have problems seeing why people would, but thats probably more down to my severe lack of self confidence than any intellegence!
  • pbwpbw
    edited March 2011
    I'm just looking at the poor girl's blog again. On this blog ( I should have said - I clicked through to it from the google search results)

http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/2011/03/greek-seaman-jacqueline-howett.html

she has 307 comments now, to her post about novel of The Greek Seaman. I there is one thing I really HATE, it's commenters who post as Anonymous. It is so COWARDLY. It's like heckling from the back of the audience. If you have something to say, be man enough to own your opinion and use your name.
  • The sentence structure and spelling in the examples quoted are atrocious, I agree, just like the author's reaction to the reviewer's comments. However, I think English must be Jacqueline's first language, because one usually finds that people whose first language is not English, are meticulous in their spelling and, sometimes, syntax. (I'd better be careful in future and check my remarks! Lol)
  • :) Verica - your English is always perfect!
  • It was amusing. It also made me start wondering how she would react to answers pertaining to questions she may ask in everyday life...such as...

Does my bum look big in this?

She willingly opened herself open to critique and should therefore accept what people have to say. Nevertheless, she hasn't done herself too much harm in the process - judging by the interest she has attracted!
  • Zackly. I'm getting all cynical again...
  • last night, with no internet, I was brooding on this foolish woman.
    I sent a copy of my book Captain Of The Wight to the local paper. He, the reviewer, turned in a very sarcastic review indeed, with my photo and not the book cover, citing the fact I am a medium and saying my guide should have told me not to write it. Now that kind of review is enough to kill anyone's confidence and to make them fire back - but I didn't. Instead several people wrote in to complain ... not friends of mine, either! That looked MUCH better. Dignified silence would have improved her chances of acceptance in the writing world. This book is generating adverse interest, her next will disappear into the ether ...
  • [quote=dorothyd]turned in a very sarcastic review indeed[/quote]

It's hard to receive knockbacks like that. I find the harshest criticism comes from people who don't understand the theme I am elaborating on. I remember when I worked in the music industry, some of the musicians used to take some really harsh criticism from the music press.

Still, you know what they say dd, ' a critic is some-one who wishes they could do it, but can't'.
  • Not in this case pbw. I am mightily glad I don't write like her!
  • Unfortunately uploading a book full of badly written English, spelling mistakes and typos give self-published writers a bad name. Money spent on editing is money well spent. No one is so good their writing can't be improved by a good editor IMO.
  • [quote=dorothyd]That looked MUCH better[/quote] Absolutely! If the reviewer really has been unfair or nasty and the author stays quiet or replies politely, the reviewer looks as though they've been unfair or mean. (Not that the review for JH's book was mean or unfair) If the author loses it, then many people will assume the reviewer was right to be critical - especially as typos, bad English and lack of proper punctuation are far more likely if we reply in haste while angry.
  • what annoyed me far more than the review, which was outright stupid anyway, was overhearing someone talking to my partner in the supermarket. She had obviously seen the review and was saying,in a loud voice just as I walked over to them 'I don't believe in all that rubbish anyway.' then went bright red when she saw me... It's OK to disbelieve but not to tell someone out loud in a supermarket, as she had no idea of his beliefs. As it happens, he believes and has seen spirit himself, so she was doubly wrong.
  • how rude was she !!!