Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Chloe signing in Waterstones Coventry, Sat 21st May 10:30-12:30

2»

Comments

• Good luck for your signing today, Rosalie! Hope you end up with an aching hand from signing hundreds and hundreds of copies :)
  • Well it will all be over now, so hope it went really well Rosalie and you had lots of sales. :)
  • Thanks for tweeting, Lily.

Yes, all over now. Aching hands, aching head, aching everything, but it was great! Loads of lovely people came along and lots of books were sold - Waterstones seemed very pleased, anyway. Staff were so helpful and kind. Thanks to all who sent good wishes and especially to Carl from Talkback, who came along and bought a book! So nice to meet you, Carl.

Free pens were all used up, lots of goodies were eaten. Son and step-daughter did a brilliant job of steering people into the shop and to my desk. The reading seemed to go down well. Met two budding young authors - one aged ten and one fifteen.

Can't quite believe it was real - going to wake up in a minute and find I've got it still to do.

Pictures soon.
  • Sounds wonderful, Rosalie - so pleased it went well! Looking forward to seeing piccies!
  • It sounds like it all went very well , you must be on cloud nine!
  • Obviously a success, well done.
  • Delighted to hear how well the event went! Congratulations on getting an aching hand from all that signing! :)
  • Sounds really fun. Which part did you read?
  • Was great to meet you Rosalie.
    On any other day I wouldn't have considered your book, it's so far outside my 'comfort' zone for genres.
    However, I'm glad I did buy your book as I've read it in almost one sitting. Loved the story and encouraged my wife to read it next.

To anyone else who may be interested, my crude (remember, not my comfort zone) interpretation is: think 'Fight Club' or Gollum/Smeagol in 'Lord of the Rings' but toned down enough for adolescents and with a modern day "you don't understand me" teenage angle.

A great book Rosalie! :)
  • Lou, I read the bit early on where Joe first meets Anna and her twin, and delights Anna by 'recognising'' Chloe. Then I read the scary bit beside the lake in the park, where Chloe tries to strangle Anna and take over her body!

Carl, I am so pleased you read Chloe and liked it. Thank you!!! I hope your wife enjoys it too. Would be great if you felt like writing a review on Amazon (or on the Waterstones site or elsewhere if you prefer).

Gollum/Smeagol parallel had not occurred to me but yes, see what you mean. And am flattered by the comparison!
  • Have now added some pictures of the signing to my blog. See http://rosalie-warren.blogspot.com/
  • Wow Rosalie, sounds like a good day all round. :)

Very pleased for you it went well.
  • Sounds fantastic. I'm so pleased. THe book is great, you deserve to do well.
  • Pleased it all went so well, Rosalie.
  • Going by the pictures on your blog, you had a productive and fun time. You did so well. I think I'd have been hyperventilating at the thought.
  • pbwpbw
    edited May 2011
    Dying to hear the debrief, Rosalie. How did it go? Just read your blog post - great!
  • edited May 2011
    I was hyperventilating beforehand, Susie, just about. Really nervous that hardly anyone would turn up. I needn't have worried, though. It was a lovely sunny day, which helped.

What pleased me was that not only did lots of lovely friends and relatives come along, but people in the shop came over to have a look (see what all the fuss was about?) and some of them bought books. I think the colourful display - balloons, bowls of sweets etc, all helped, and Waterstones gave me a huge table almost in the doorway so people had to make a big effort to ignore me!

The free 'Chloe' pens were very popular. They were really easy to do - we ordered the special pens from eBay (quite cheaply) and then printed a picture of the book cover, title and author name and slid the bits of paper inside the plastic casing. They looked completely professional and people seemed pleased to get them. I also had shiny postcards (ordered from Vistaprint) of the front of the book, with purchase details on the back, giving priority to Waterstones. And my wonderful family went outside and nabbed people on the street until a council official told them to stop :-)

Plus a photographer from the local paper turned up and spent ages taking photos of me, plus any passing youngsters who agreed (and whose parents agreed) to take part. We asked permission to use their photos on websites and they all said OK. We gave them all a free pen and the girl who spent ages having her photos taken was given a free signed copy, too.

The reading felt a bit awkward at first, as Waterstones weren't able to make an announcement so I just had to start. But people gathered round and looked quite interested, so I soon forgot they were there and enjoyed performing. I think it would have been fine without the reading, though.

My main advice would be - enlist as much help as you can beforehand from people happy to make fools of themselves, and make friends with the shop staff in good time. Plus go for balloons and freebies, though I guess you might want something more sophisticated for a grown-up book. The more hustle and bustle round the table, the less afraid people are to creep up and investigate what's going on, because they don't fear being pounced upon.
  • Loved reading this, Rosalie. Thanks for taking the trouble to tell us about your day.

[quote=Rosalie]The more hustle and bustle round the table, the less afraid people are to creep up and investigate what's going on, because they don't fear being pounced upon. [/quote]

Yes, that's an excellent tip - I'm sure it makes a huge difference in 'approachability'.

[quote=Rosalie]And my wonderful family went outside and nabbed people on the street until a council official told them to stop [/quote]

Great stuff - made me laugh - they do indeed sound like a wonderful family. :)
  • That's a great breakdown of the book-signing process, Rosalie. All we've got to do now is get ourselves published and have a book to sign ;) .
  • Absolutely! I wanna do it! Must work harder at being published...
  • Go for it folks, go go go!
  • Oh Rosalie, what a wonderful event. Sounds great fun and very successful.
  • Thanks Lily and everyone for all the wonderful support and encouragement. You folk are amazing!
  • Sounds like it was a great success. I'm so pleased for you.
  • I'm glad it all went well and that your worries about no one showing up didn't materialise. Well done!

Stories like this inspire me to keep writing and trying. :D

I now follow your blog.
  • Thanks for the follow, MM.
  • Glad the signing went so well, Rosalie!
  • Well done on the book signing, Ros. It sounds fantastic !
    A great incentive for getting on with the follow up ... !

:)