Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems entering WM comps online

edited May 2011 in - Writing Problems
Query for Webbo:-

I've just tried to enter one of the WM writing comps online.

Two issues with it. Firstly, once I had uploaded my entry I had terrible trouble finding the shopping basket. (It way over to the right at the top, in case anyone else can't find it.)

Secondly, it would ony give me the non-subscribers price for the entry, even though I have registered and my subscribers number is inlcuded in my account details on the site.

I haven't completed the entry and there is plenty of time left, so advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Thanks Heather - I'll aim to get it fixed tomorrow and get back to you
  • apologies for the delay Heather. It's been in the hands of our tech team for some time, but should be resolved today I believe.
  • Unfortunately, it still wants to charge me £4.
  • Sorry Heather, I'll chase it up again.
  • edited May 2011
    Hello Heather,
    I'm having trouble with this - it is now displaying the correct price for me. I'm sorry for the faff, but please could you call me (0113 2002913) when convenient and we'll try to get to the bottom of it?
  • [quote=Webbo]call me (0113 2002913) when convenient and we'll try to get to the bottom of it? [/quote]

*wonders if Willy would speak to me*
  • edited May 2011
    No Willy here I'm afraid BB!

Just to say, we've got Heather sorted out now, and I believe competition entries are working correctly, so enter away, and let me know if you have any more problems.
  • Thank you, Webbo.

(Webbo is a very, very nice man!)
  • Thanks button just doesn't cut it... we need a "Shucks" button
  • :)

[quote=Baggy Books]*wonders if Willy would speak to me* [/quote]

Where does one find a Willy that talks, perchance?
  • Is that a knowing grin, Carol?
  • [quote=dora]Where does one find a Willy that talks[/quote]

Try tickling him, that normally gives rise to some response.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Try tickling him, that normally gives rise to some response. [/quote]

:D
  • I could do with an illustration to explain the meaning of your comment BB.

And while you're at it, chuck us a few squiggles re the meaning of life too.

Ta muchly.
  • www.webboandwilly.com

Click on the link to 'tickled pink'
  • Do you think my parent controls on my computer will allow me to view this BB?

There are some pop ups that really scare me, you know.
  • Ah, you may be disappointed. Webbo sorted it for Heather, maybe he can give you a hand?
  • Yuk.

Only if soap and water are included first.
  • Are you trying to say that Webbo's in need of a clean?
  • Poor Webbo.
    He helps someone out and people get suggestive.
    I would like to point out that he was a perfect gentleman and - as far as I could tell - was in no way in need of a wash. :)
  • And what of Willy?
  • Hmmm. What about his ears though Heather, see any potatoes growing in there?
  • I couldn't really see, dora, as the phone was in the way, but he seemed to hear nice and clearly so I doubt it.
  • Phew, that's good news Heather, thanks.

I can breathe easy now.
  • Alas, I'm having the same problem.
    My account is showing my subscriber number but when viewing my basket (after uploading), I'm getting the non-subscriber price.

Sorry Webbo. :/
  • edited May 2011
    I know the answer to this!

The subscriber number you see has been allocated by the online system when you registered. It is not the same as your 'paper' subscriber number. WN have to merge your online and paper accounts for this to work and this will be easily done if you give them a ring. (I'm pretty sure you can't do it yourself.)
  • Afraid it'll have to be Monday now Carl, sorry.
  • This seems like a lot of faff to go through just to enter online. I have to say, I'm disappointed. I wanted to enter the Daydream poetry competition tonight, now there's no way I can enter before the dealine unless I stick it in the post and pray.
  • Hi strangebehaviour,
    We've had severe difficulties over the weekend and yesterday, which prevented several sections of the site working, but everything should be back to normal now.
    Do you know your subscriber number? If you're not a subscriber the process should be fairly painless, but do let me know if you have further trouble.
  • Thanks Webbo. I bunged it in the post (not enough time to do anything else as I was going to be offline - hence the grumpy!). I am a subscriber, I was trying to enter one of the subscriber-only competitions and I'd just set up my login for it. It just kept asking me to login when I was, and it's still doing it. What do I have to do to get it sorted?

Thanks.
  • Never mind online, in the form, they ask for the code near the top, where on earth do I get that for instance, Webbo. It is hardly very encouraging when they ask for this, never used to be there before. There is a good American expression if you forgive the grammar, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
  • Woll, the code is in bold in the text describing each competition, just before the address details.
  • WolL, Webbo mentioned on another competition query thread that the number is added when you fill in the details- I believe.
    If I can find the thread I'll bring it to the top.
  • See Webbo's comment on this thread: Entering a WM comp online - do you need page with contact details?
  • Thank you everyone, I will have another look at it.
  • I started another discussion on this topic this morning, as I tried to enter a Sonnet on line, but there was no facility there to do so. Sorry, Webbo, to give you more work. I expect I'll send it in by snail mail instead.

For some reason also, every time I try the writers-online website, for a while afterwards I cannot access any other site, as it always returns to that one!!!
  • Verica, try deleting your cookies after your visit to it and see if that helps.

I've got to contact them too, as I posted the details of our writers' group for listing in that section of the site and the details have still not appeared a week later...
  • Thank you, Carol, for the advice - I've done it now.
  • I haven't been able to get any of the links at the top of the page to work at all since yesterday - which, of course, includes the competition one. Keep getting something about a 404 error. I'm hoping this means that someone is working on sorting out glitches and not that it's completely kaput. Thanks Webbo.
  • That explains why I got a 404 error message when I clicked on a link from the newsletter. I just tried the competitions link at the top and it still gives a 404 error message IG.
  • Just tested the comps page and I'm not getting 404 myself, so hopefully just a temporary glitch. Anyone still having problems?
    Carol, I'll make sure your group's listing is approved tomorrow.
  • Thanks Webbo, it seems to be all working tickety-boo again. Must've been the way the Moon was holding its mouth or something.
  • Webbo you were up early!
  • Thanks Webbo. I can cross that off my to-do list now.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh drats! For some reason I was under the impression there was a PayPal option (rather than credit card) for the on-line competitions, subscriptions etc., but I don't see any reference to it. :(
  • Sorry IG, no Paypal option I'm afraid. If you can't get a credit card payment sorted, email me and we'll work something out.