Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to Murder People

Comments

• I agree with your comment about the title. However, knowing that's what it was called almost heightened the suspense. Bit like Psycho? You knew there must be a psycho out there.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - chainsaws and massacre had to be in the plot.
  • I agree about the two example, and I'm sure there are more out there. However Psycho wasn't called-Mad man who keeps his mother in the cellar dresses up as her to lure unsuspecting victims into his motel to murder them. Also TCM wasn't called Roadside Cannibal Cafe- which would sum up the film better than the real title.

What I'm saying is some titles do hint at the plot but keep at least an arms length from the twist or payoff.
  • Agreed. But I was still edgy when I read it.
  • I agree giving hints toward the plot can heighten the tension.
  • I agree about the title but I didn't change it because it would catch people's eye and encourage them to read more.

Thank you for your feedback and responses everyone. :-)
  • StF you DID surprise me - I thought you fitted into the 'Nice Young Man' bracket with thoughts to match, I had no idea you could come up with such horrible ideas! I can't say I enjoyed it but your story certainly has a lot going for it, very well done. Next!
  • [quote=ceka] I can't say I enjoyed it [/quote]

I did!

Bring on the macabre and sadistic murders!
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Bring on the macabre and sadistic murders![/quote]

I agree! The more depraved the better!
  • Me too. Well, mabe not the depraved bit. Slightly depraved is ok.
  • I hope you're not talking about me. I'm not a muderer! I just write about them...
  • Oh. I thought you wrote from personal experience.
  • Were you supposed to 'enjoy' it Ceka? I'm not sure stf had that in mind.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Oh. I thought you wrote from personal experience. [/quote]

Are you trying to hint at something there, BB?

As long as you read the story and thought something along the lines of "Oh My god, what a horrible way to die, what evil monster did this to her?" I'm happy.
  • Did you show/ read this to your mum stf ? I just wonder in case she thinks she has a good young innocent minded son and you might have just spoiled her illusions about you.
  • She's read it and was worried about me but after a long talk we desided I could keep writing as along as I didn't try any of stories in the real world and no one would die.
  • [quote=st force]we desided I could keep writing as along as I didn't try any of stories in the real world and no one would die.[/quote]

I think I had that talk with my parents too during my A levels, StF. Though I can't remember if it was provoked by the story about the dead babies in the wardrobe or the one about the woman eating her own children...

My A level teachers, on the other hand, loved me. Or maybe they just hated kids. Hard to tell really.
  • Most of my teachers are scared of me...
  • As are we...
  • Maybe they should be :P
  • Very wise of them...
  • Are they only kind to me because I scare them? I thought they were my friends. I'll show them! I'll show them what happens to people who betray me!

*goes off to the drawing board*
  • Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
  • I'm known for being a very depressive person at college, and my close friends go to people 'Yeah, her stuff is really depressing', which to some extent is true. I don't think anyone really understand how my mind works at college, especially in Psychology, where we we're studying depression. Actually, someone told me to go kill myself, which I thought was amusing.

If you scare people, Stf, at college, then you're doing something right. People at college don't understand us writers. Well, in my experience anyway.
  • Heyyyy! Well done, StF. You're wise beyond your years. Excellent story.
  • They always think I'm an oddball at school but they respect me because I have had work published and fear me because of my stories. Whenever people talk to me they always ask how my writing is getting on and sometimes they help me brainstorm for Lily's prediction. (They are not very creative and most of the things they think up are about sex so I don’t write them down) I only tell a certain number of people when I have updated my blog or have had something published because I trust them. The others may look if they wish but I will read their comments before posting them.

Nice Harry Potter icon by the way Pixie.
  • edited July 2011
    Wow, you guys seem pretty famous around college :P Back when I was in college (like, a year ago), only my friends knew about my writing, and since they already knew I was crazy, they just laughed. Though one of my friends still brings up the dead babies to this day when he wants to make a point about how evil I am (which is not at all, obviously).
  • I don't even talk to my friends about my writing, to be honest. I might show them something I've just worked on, to gain feedback, but otherwise I don't bother, because they don't understand, and I'm fine with that. I'm the weird one in college, and I like it. It keeps people away from me and it's what I like.

And thanks, I've got the Deathly Hallows symbol on a ring.

[quote=femaleking]Wow, you guys seem pretty famous around college[/quote]
    Not really...I just know a fair amount of people, who don't understand how I work.
  • That's the thing about us writers of dark stuff, we're quite normal really...;)
  • :-)

I tend to work alone as well I can get more done that way whether that be writing or school work. I just put my music on and tune out. I wouldn't call myself weird though, just different. They're plenty more weird people in my school.
  • [quote=Red]That's the thing about us writers of dark stuff, we're quite normal really...[/quote]

Indeed. Pity no one believes us :rolleyes:
  • I think you have to have equilibrium to write dark. If you lived or believed what you wrote then you'd either be crazy to begin with or enjoy a stay at the padded hotel in the end.
  • Never worry about people thinking you're an oddball. (their problem, not yours) It gives one the drive to succeed.
  • Anyone who has the ability to craft words into stories get looked upon as strange- always have done in my view.
    I think many of them cannot separate the idea that if you write erotica you must be a sex addict, or gruesome murder tales you must want to go out and actually do these things...
    To my mind they are the odd ones...;)
  • [quote=st force]As long as you read the story and thought something along the lines of "Oh My god, what a horrible way to die, what evil monster did this to her?" I'm happy.[/quote]

Yup, that about sums it up! I've dealt with 'burnt-off' scalps, but not acid-ed off ones, and your whole idea put my imagination into overdrive, so well done again StF.
  • [quote=ceka]Yup, that about sums it up! I've dealt with 'burnt-off' scalps,[/quote]

Gosh, how awful, Ceka.
  • Oh dear...
  • [quote=ceka] 'burnt-off' scalps,[/quote]

Hairdressing can account for a lot of these I bet - especially would-be blondes. Some of them seem to have the correct Intelligence quotient BEFORE they pour the neat peroxide over their locks!
  • While on holiday last week, my sister managed to sunburn her scalp. But she was less concerned about the pain and more concerned about the fact that it was peeling and making her look as though she had a monster dandruff problem...
  • [quote=femaleking]monster dandruff problem[/quote]

No wonder those monsters are so angry and rampage. It's because they're self conscious about dandruff.
  • maybe they should wash their hear with Head and Shoulder`s shampoo then.
  • [quote=Lolli]Hairdressing can account for a lot of these I bet - especially would-be blondes. Some of them seem to have the correct Intelligence quotient BEFORE they pour the neat peroxide over their locks![/quote]
    Oh, God, Lolli, that's horrible! I was thinking of burns (post house fires etc) we had into the Intensive Care Unit when I was in London. I couldn't stand ICU after the first 3 years, too many disgustoplasties. I reckon it's one reason I don't like graphic horror stories now - they always seem somehow gratuitous. I know they're popular, though, so there's clearly a market for them - go horror writers and indulge, in that case!
    For me, stories like that one SilentTony wrote ("Shine") are real horror. (I'm not sure I'll ever use gloss paint again and it's all your fault, ST)
  • Thanks Ceka.
  • I am thinking of trying some of these methods....
  • Worth a shot , Stan.

I hear jail is nice this time of year :)
  • Hee hee. We'll organise a visitting rota.
  • And bring me current buns?
  • Um, not big enough to hide the file in, Stan....