Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Entering Competitions

I didn't realise that the online entry would close the day before the deadline or at least at midnight. I was planning to enter my story for the adult fairy tale last night until we had a very restless night with my daughter. I figured I could just do it first thing this morning. I'm so frustrated that I didn't get to enter as there's not really any other places I can send such a story. That'll teach me not to leave it to the last minute but I don't seem to be able to finish an idea without a deadline looming grrr. I really could kick myself.

Comments

• Hi, Rainbow Lou. There seem to have been a few teething troubles with online entry so maybe it's not your fault.
  • I'd ask Webbo if it definitely is too late to submit.
  • Hi Jay,
    Thanks I've emailed Webbo and changed my spelling. Cheers for the heads up.
  • I've upped two threads about online submissions just in case they apply to you.
  • I don't think they do. The entry for the adult fairytale was always there, but now has disappeared and top of the list is next months competition. This leads me to assume they have removed it because it is closed.
    Thanks for your help though :-)
  • Sorry Rainbow Lou, the deadline is today, so it looks like you've found an error in the system - we set the closing date and the system removes closed competitions automatically, but at a quick guess, it looks like the system is treating the closing date in a computer-y way (start of 14/6) rather than a logical human way (end of 14/6). I'll amend the details, so the competition will accept your entry until the end of today.
    Sorry for the confusion
  • It's visible now Rainbow Lou. Good luck.
    Please ignore that the listing now displays the incorrect closing date of 15/6. I had to do this to make it allow entries today.
    This will be fixed ASAP. Thanks for highlighting it.
  • Phew thanks a lot Webbo, that's great. I don't expect it to get anywhere but it'd be a shame not to try. Panic over, :-)
  • Great RLou! Good luck!

(I sounded a bit like Peter Kay then.)
  • Fingers crossed RLou.
  • Oh, RainbowLou, I had problems yesterday with the very same competition - must be fairies in the machine!

I was going to post mine en route to work, then panicked in case it might not arrive in time since I was posting from N Ireland and decided to enter online, which I've never done before. Everything seemed to go okay until right at the end, after I'd typed in my bank account details, when it came up with an error. I called the person to whom the entries are addressed, but the phone clicked off on me twice and went dead. I called another number and got a very helpful person, Rebecca, who said she'd look into it. I went off to work but as I hadn't heard anything by lunchtime, I called again. Rebecca was still waiting to hear whether or not the entry had been received or the money had gone out of my bank account (£4 despite being a subscriber, but hey, I was desperate to get my entry in) Rebecca advised me to send off the hard copy with a cheque for £3 just in case the online entry hadn't gone through, and assured me that the second fee would be refunded if I'd already paid. Now I don't know if either of my entries have been received. :( I wouldn't mind, but this story took me ages to write so I'm hoping at least gets read!
  • Sounds like Gremlins at work good luck any way to both of you. I got short listed in this last year, so will keep fingers crossed for both of you.
  • Seaview, Webbo knows there's a problem. Throw yourself on his mercy!
  • :) I was also trying to enter the free subscriber comp but I can't even get into that. But someone else has alerted him.
  • Didn't you enter this year Jenny?
  • No I started something but never got around to finishing it. Maybe next year
  • You won't believe this - the one I entered (if it ever arrived!) was the same one I started last year nad never got finished. That's why I was so desperate to submit it this year!!!