Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Blogs and what to write

edited June 2011 in Writing
I am thinking of creating a blog however I'm a bit stumped as to what to include in it and how to promote or who to. Any tales of how and why you started any of the many blogs that I know TBers have.

Comments

• I started with little bits of news ("just started a blog", "just had a story published", "just found this great comp" )

Then moved on to randomly sharing info and writing articles relevant to writing and the writing community.

A clear, and sometimes funny, voice will be enough to ensure people enjoy whatever you say. Consistent blogging is what makes them stay.

Just play around with a few posts, introduce yourself, let people know what you're into and what you're doing.

Lots of TBers will visit and help to publicise it for you :)
  • When you make the 'blog' decision, it's a challenge. It needs daily attention, like a baby, and it eats up the hours. If you don't post daily you need to maintain an activity level of a minimum of three times a week, or it'll drop off the edge and you'll lose your followers. The web is littered with abandoned web sites and blogs.

In my case I decided to write about what was close to my heart, mostly my writing but related themes too, if I got the inspiration.

It helps to join those 'blog-a-thon' things from time to time.
    b-r has offered good advice, and as he says, we'll all support you.
  • I went for a mixture of things but all writing related, so e-books, competitions, my writing progress, inspiration, other stuff that writers might find useful or of interest.
    So try a few things out.

If you follow other blogs that are of interest and start commenting-where appropriate- and often those writers will pay a visit to your blog to see what you write about and may follow you.
    It takes time to build up followers, but it is always good to reply when someone does leave a comment on your blog.

Make it as user friendly as possible and ensure you have the twitter/facebook symbols enabled- then if someone likes an item and wants to tell others about it they can send the link.

I've also found that setting yourself regular posting slots helps as people will look out for your next post. You can start with one a week and build up until you find what works for you personally and time wise.

Enjoy yourself.
  • Blogs are great fun and an excellent way to create a routine for writing.

However, attracting followers isn't the same as attracting readers. You will possibly only be read by people you publicise it with - and you need to maintain their interest.

Famous bloggers are also excellent at marketing themselves. Their posts are tightly written, well edited and have interesting content.

If anyone posts on the 'blog update' thread something interesting I tend to click on the link - but if it's too long I don't then read it. Unfortunately that corrupts their stats.
  • Yes BB is right about the stats. You can get a lot of views but not neccesarily readers.
    Sometimes the length is dependent on the post subject. And of course if you include any images.
  • [quote=Guffyowl]I am thinking of creating a blog[/quote] Why? The answer to that might help you decide what to blog about. I think it's best to have some kind of theme or focus to the blog - if your posts are too random it's unlikely they'll all appeal to the same people, so you'll lose readers.

My blog is all writing related and includes regular links to free to enter writing competitions, or other comps with writing related prizes (books, laptops etc) http://patsy-collins.blogspot.com/
  • I originally had one blog that was going to be about my writing with a dash of other things as well.

It quickly descended in to being about the random things that fell out of my head (thought wise not actual physical things - my brain is still up there... mostly).

So now I have two blogs - the general/random one and the writing one.
  • [quote=Carol]Sometimes the length is dependent on the post subject. And of course if you include any images[/quote]

Don't think images are really an issue. It's just that reading an long piece of text on-line is sometimes a struggle.

Images break it up a little and make the chunks easier to get through - much like a paper magazine article.
  • I think some readers prefer short stuff, but there are also a number who don't mind longer stuff too. You have to find what feels right for you.
  • Regarding length, for me it depends what and whom I'm reading. If I've read other posts by the blogger and found them interesting and then see a long post on a subject I want info on, I'll happily read it. If I don't already know the blogger, or do but have found them a bit waffly in the past, or if the subject doesn't really grab me then a long post is likely to put me off.
  • Mine is my dog's daily diary - he writes as he sees the world. He does about 300 words a day - everyday. He's missed one day in 5 years.
  • [quote=Mutley] He's missed one day in 5 years. [/quote]

What happened?
  • I was in hospital and he couldn't remember the password :)
  • If blogs require weekly effort it's worth considering if this is a good use of time that could otherwise be spent on "real" writing.
  • I agree - the effort they must take must surely be a distraction from other projects too.

Mine takes five minutes a day. Long enough.
  • Tsk. Timewaster BB.
  • I read an article in the April issue of Writing Magazine
    By Rebecca Woodhead. I thought myself it was a good idea.
  • I cant think of anything I might do or think that would be of the faintest interest to anyone else
  • The very thought of what it is you do do that no one would find interesting, interests me already please tell.
  • I'm sorry, but I cannot risk the possibility of you glazing over with excitement
  • :)
    Sometimes snailmale it is just another view that someone has on a subject- a different perspective that is interesting.
  • I have always said that the most interesting people are the one that thing they are not.
  • I started a blog recently. Mostly to promote myself as a writer but because I live in a special little town in Turkey, I have a page for that as well.

I do not have a techie bone in my body and what may seem perfectly straight forward to the majority of people confuses me completely . Therefore I find I have to set aside half a day really to go on and do some stuff... But I am getting better..xxx
  • It can be a little confusing at first mrsnazilli, but once you become familiar with everything it does become easier. :)
  • I just stick any old nonsense on my blog: real life experiences, articles, stories and poems. The beauty of it is that it is my baby and I can dress it as I wish.
  • Are we allowed to post links here to what we are doing on our blogs or is it banned... or is there another place..xxx
  • The thread Blog Updates is for that very purpose.
  • Bless you collide-o-scope. Love that name..xx
  • Just looked at your blog and commented mrsn.
    Good luck with it !
  • Thanks Lexia..xx
  • I'm trying to start a "blog directory". If anyone wants to be included in my list I'll need your blog addy (of course) the genre you write in (putting it in genre order) and maybe a sentence to sum up your blog?

http://louisewise.blogspot.com/p/fellow-crusaders-blogs-of-writers.html
  • I'd li8ke to be on your directory. I write romance and women's fiction. My blog (mostly) includes regular links to writing competitions and other comps to win writing related prizes (books, laptops etc) All featured comps are free to enter. There's other random writing-ish stuff as well.
  • http://blogathonchallenge.blogspot.com/

The egg and spoon race of writing - non-fiction, not that factual and not that serious.

Why is it the egg and spoon race of writing? It's unbalanced, better hard-boiled and definitely for fun.
  • Louise, I'd like to be in the directory too.
    I write historical romance and I'm working on short stories too.
    http://carol-bevitt.blogspot.com/
    my blog summary is-blog on my writing, inspirations and literature related news (I have writing inspired pieces, competition news, and relevent writing related news from online newspapers and magazines).
  • edited July 2011
    I'd love to be on the list, Louise, but what happens if you cross genres?
    I class myself as a horror and thriller author.

http://stevenchapmanwriter.blogspot.com

• Novel Thinking
    http://fiona-maddock.blogspot.com/

I write Science Fiction. I'm interested in how technology changes our lives.

My blog is my random thoughts about writing, life, and all the rest of it.

I'd love to be included in your directory. Thanks, Louise.
  • Just remembered I have this one too:

http://readreviewed.blogspot.com/

I'm hoping to add more reviews when I get time.

Louise's most recent book is there - and Rosalie's!
  • Thanks Louise, I've emailed you and I'd like to say it's a great idea.
  • I've added those you've asked. Please offer your support in return and follow my blog? :)
  • Have done!
  • Louise, I've left a message on the Blog updates for you.
  • Blog update? I'll see if I can find it. Thanks.
  • It's on the thread on TB titled Blog Updates, Louise.