Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Another rejection

edited June 2011 in Writing
What started like a good day turned sour again by ten o'clock. Two more chapters completed before work, only to find that when I got to work a nice email stating that althougth my manuscript had held the agents interest to the very end, it did not give the response enough for them to represent me however they advised I follow it up with submissions to more agents as it could be someone else's cup of tea so to say. Still doesnt stop that sinking feeling.

Comments

• Sorry to hear that. Rejections do feel rubbish but it was good feedback that you got. Holding an agent's interest throughout the book has got to be a good sign. Remember that every agent has different tastes so allow yourself some important wallowing in self-pity time then get the manuscript back out there again. You can do it!
  • I'm sorry too, but yes, it is a good sign - a very good one. The fact the agent read it to the very end and it held their interest all the way really is good news. I know that a near miss can make rejection feel even worse, but you really should take encouragement from this (maybe tomorrow, if not today...)
  • I agree with the others. I still haven't had a full manuscript request, let alone an agent read it to the end. It is a significant milestone to reach, so try and feel encouraged.
  • Rejections have that knack of making you feel miserable , but the comments sounded very encouraging. Send it again and again if you have to and good luck.
  • Yes, it sounds like a most encouraging rejection, which doesn't sound like something you might want but it's the next best thing! Send it straight off again - don't let that manuscript touch the ground between submissions!
  • Hi Guffyowl,

I agree with Rosalie, I think sometimes it's the near misses that do make you feel worse. But others have given you good advice. You have had some good feedback and that should be an encouragement to you. As Lou says, get it straight off again to someone else.

Wishing you luck with it!
  • I know from the experiences of being short-listed or a runner-up in writing competitions how deflating it can actually feel. So close - yet so far...
    Chin up - rejections don't come more encouraging than that. You just have to find the right agent. Good luck!
  • Good grief Guffyowl, get a grip! What a wonderful complement. A rejection maybe, but to be given such encouragement is amazing. Well done you! (((((((((((((((Guffyowl)))))))))))
  • Give it a day or two to sink in and you'll realise that this in fact was good news and expect a rocket-fuel powered bounce back as you rewrite and write with added vigour. This rejection shows that you have ability and you're not wasting your time. Published writers are the ones who don't give up. Good luck.
  • It's a shame but that does sound like a very positive rejection - if there is such a thing!
  • So sorry, Guffyowl. But be encouraged - it was a good sign that they wanted to read the whole manuscript.
  • That's like Cameron Diaz turning you down for a date because she's in a relationship but telling you to ask her hot friends out!

Nothing but positive!!
  • Sorry it was a rejection Guffyowl, but is was a positive rejection. As others have already said they read it through to the end and encouraged you to try other agents.
    Start getting it sent out to the next ones on your list, and fingers crossed.
  • This is a great rejection, Guffyowl! I know it's discouraging to get any kind of rejection, but it's better than a standard rejection! On to the next submission!
  • Just think how gutted you'd feel if if it was a straightforward rejection. This is a very positive step. Once it's sunk in I reckon you'll be buoyed up and itching to send it out to the next agent on your list. Go for it!
  • [quote=bored_robots]That's like Cameron Diaz turning you down for a date because she's in a relationship but telling you to ask her hot friends out![/quote]

Note to self: never send work to the same place Guffyowl has in case Cameron Diaz tries to fix me up with her friends.
  • Although they said no, that is good feedback. Most of the time when you submit to agents you don't even get a reply or just get a standard one.

Send it out to the next agent on your list and that may be the yes.
  • Close, but not quite the right spot: doesn't mean your work isn't good, just that it's not their cup of tea. They'll be kicking themselves if the next agent signs you up and you get published! So hang in there, Guffy - you've definitely got what it takes.
  • [quote=dora]Note to self: never send work to the same place Guffyowl has in case Cameron Diaz tries to fix me up with her friends. [/quote]

If this ever happens, I am more than happy to accept the overspill!!
  • I think we should hold a communal bonfire to stack them all on - put it down to experience and keep going.
  • Thanks for all these comments, Slept on it and feel great this morning already posted synopsis and sample chapters off to two more agents and done 1500 words on current project
  • Well done Guffyowl, that's the way to go!
  • well, what did I say! ;D Bet you had three Shredded Wheat this morning...
    Good luck and keep going
  • So close! Hope it's second time lucky!
  • Good on ya!
  • Go for it.
  • I know how you feel: a rejection is a rejection, but the others are right: there are rejections and positive rejections,unlike that prat Kenneth Clarke who suggested there are different types of rape! We've all had rejections, and I remember one well known writer telling us at a conference that until you could paper one wall of a room with rejections, you could not call yourself a writer. A standard rejection letter is one thing, but if you get one which invites you to send more material (as I've received) it means THAT piece was not for them but a) they like your writing style b) they think you have potential.
    I must tell you of one time when someone else' manuscript was sent back to me by mistake, covered with less than flattering comments! It was returned to the publisher, and I had a quick phone call thanking me....and asking if I knew the writer (which I didn't).
  • So sorry, Guffy. Keep persevering - you will get there.
  • Did you only send it to the one agent? A lot of people advise you to send out queries to multiple agents. Always make sure you have a back-up plan.

I'm sure you'll get there. Different people like different things so considering she read your whole book, it kept her interest and she's even encouraged you to try out other agents, means she knows it's got potential.

Go for it, tiger!