Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems with Talkback

edited July 2011 in - Website Problems
Replacing the old problem thread...
Post your problems here and I'll attempt to address or fix them. I'll try to trim this as we go on to keep it neat.

Comments

• I still have my Bookmark problem Webbo. Any news on that?
  • Webbo - hellllllpppp!!!

I've asked lots of times in different threads, but still, no-one can tell me how to post photos on here!

I've tried pasting links on pages - no go; tried drag & drop - still no-go...

I know it can be done, as I've seen others paste in pictures in threads...so how's it done, please???
  • Do you have an account on Photobucket, Picassa etc?
  • Yes - tried linking with Photobucket, without success thus far! What's the trick?
  • Once you've got your photo to the right size for what you want to do, you need to choose the right code from the list.
    I know that it is different to the one used for posting pictures to blogs but can't remember without looking- and I'm in a rush today.
    Try using the search option for 'posting pictures to Talkback' as I know it's on a thread somewhere. Otherwise put a call out to everyone to ask which option it is.
  • [quote=B L Zebub]Yes - tried linking with Photobucket, without success thus far! What's the trick? [/quote]

Upload your pics to photobucket. You can resize the pics there – don’t choose large pictures, otherwise you won’t be able to reduce them correctly. You need something that will fit the 32 x 32 pixel parameters of your icon. It might take a bit of faffing to get it just so. Click on the picture you want - it will give you a drop down options box on the format of the URL. You basically want the “Direct link”. Click on it and it will automatically copy the link for you.

Paste the URL link into the space provided on your account page for your icon. The URL, for example, will be something like http://photobucket/thisismyicon/verynice.jpeg. Or you can use a gif file. In which case, it would be something like http://thisisapicture/verynice.gif. "Save" your account page and the HTML code should allow you to see the picture. You can do the same process for your account picture.
  • Yessssss! Thank you, Red! Finally got the knack - now for the photo-bombardment... Well, maybe not - but it's really nice to know it can be done - really appreciate it!
  • edited July 2011
    The What Have You Achieved This Year thread. Jay and other Talkbackers keep getting sent to the top of the thread (originally started some years ago) and it has done the same to me every time I've gone into it since comments have been added- latest time this occured, Saturday around 17.23-24 pm.
  • Not a problem, Webbo but will the redeveloped version of TB allow rich-text editing on posts?

Thanks.
  • The 'quote' function has just taken me back to the main discussion board. Twice.
  • edited July 2011
    Anyone else notice Talkback was down this morning? One of the two error messages I saw mentioned 'personel'. Is this an IT word?
  • I wasn't aware Jay... any more info on the error message?
  • It was fine when I got on after eleven this morning Jay.
  • Something like 'fatal error ... irrecoverable'. I think it was another message that said it was intended for computer staff or 'personel'.
  • I had the same message Jay, about 9.15 this morning.
  • And me around 10am but it's ok now.
  • Something odd's been happening with the Talkback Search facility. Simple is coming up when Advanced is pressed.
  • It seems to be behaving for me, Jay - ie pick search from the top nav and it defaults to simple view, clicking advanced at the top right brings up the extra text boxes, etc.
    Anyone else having the same problem as Jay?
  • I've never used the Advanced facility, but when I click it, it does change to the word "Simple."

A meerkat gremlin perhaps?
  • Presumably so if you want to return to a simple search you just click on it perhaps?
  • The search facility still seems to be back to front - advanced instead of simple, and simple instead of advanced!
  • Looks fine to me. Click search and it gives me a single box to fill in with an opportunity to switch to advanced. Click advanced and it gives me multiple boxes to define a more precise search, with the opportunity to switch back to simple. Click simple and it takes me back to the simple search. As it should be.
  • It's working fine for me Jay... just to clarify, when you click "search", you should get the page with only one text entry box. Then clicking "advanced" brings up the page with more options.
    But what happens when you click "search" – it's jumping straight to the page with more options?
  • Likewise.
  • Perhaps I'm going mad!
  • Jay, often these issues are more to do with our computers and their settings.

Is it doing as Webbo explains above?

(I always found (on my XP computer)things that went wrong only occured for a day or two then went back to normal- had no problem since I changed my computer.)
  • Not a problem, as such, more a request for consideration in the ongoing revamp of Talkback.
    Liz! responded to my failure of accurate cut-and-paste when attempting quote from dictionary definition.
    [quote=Liz!]I'd dearly love an italics option in the next forum! The only emphasis available to us is capitals.[/quote]
  • Was there a problem with Welcome Writers earlier? It looks like imeili couldn't post anything. (It seems to be OK now.)
  • When I tried to get into Talkback earlier today, I came to a very tasteful screen with everything in blue, and lots of categories, with no titles, no names, and lots of 0s; I thought you must be doing an upgrade, or a re-vamp. I could log-in and be recognised, but nothing worked.
  • Yes, some hiccups while we underwent some scheduled maintenance, and getting things in line for future developments... (you had a supersneak preview BB, but I'm afraid it was accidental!)
  • Webbo, whenever I press the quote button I get sent back a page.
  • Webbo, Just made a post on the thread about Kateyannes's success on Britwriters, then attempted a post on the 'Nicest' thread when a screen associated with Britwriters appeared, overriding Talkback. I got rid of this but then got a message generated by my anti-virus programme that 'A recent attempt to attack your computer was blocked'. Anyone else know of any problems on here?
  • For the past few days the counts next to each thread have been refusing to update. When I read a thread, it still shows as unread.

This is happening on my work computer, home computer AND my mobile phone so I presume its something to do with my account rather than the software set up of any of the individual devices.

It's getting a bit annoying now as I can't figure out which post I've read and which ones I haven't :(
  • Hmm, it appears to be working for me - but that might only be selectively. Is it happening on all threads? As well as the thread counts, are the ones you've read not changing colour (ie from yellow to pale yellow)?
    On the assumption that none of it's working at all, my guess would be some kind of cookie problem, but if it's happening on multiple devices it can't be that.
  • Clearing the cache is another thing to try, so you're basically clearing your browser history, and not just cookies.
  • Yep, Webbo the threads with the unchanged thread counts remain yellow.
    It doesn't seem to be happening on every single thread, but it does happen on most of them.

It's not that Carol, it's happening on every single device I use including around 8 other computers I've tried! :P
    But yes, cache was cleaned anyway. I checked a few things, nothings working so far.
  • Thanks very much - looks like it's one I'll have to pass on to our techies!
    I've just tried it myself, and managed to successfully clear the unread count on everything on the front page. Please could you paste the link of a couple of the problem ones? I'll see if I can replicate it.
    Also, is this happening to anybody else? Let me know if so please!
  • Just tried again Webbo and pretty much everything on the first and second page refuses to clear.
    A couple of examples, if you want to recreate the problem, are:

Dog cruelty and The One Show
    Off to Switzerland

The ones that DO clear thread counts are:

Grammar problem - that pesky apostrophe!
    Kindle Market for books
    And strangely - this thread :P
  • Grr - I can't get it to happen to me!
    Anybody else having this problem?

BR, it's a long shot, but are all the computers you've tried it on using the same browsers?
  • Nope, tried it on IE, Firefox and Chrome.
  • [quote=Webbo]Anybody else having this problem?[/quote]
    Randomly using the back button [top left of my screen] or "Back to Discussions" [at bottom of Talkback page] both cause thread colour to fade and unread resets to "0".
    {Sorry Bored_Robots}
  • [quote=Jan]{Sorry Bored_Robots} [/quote]

?
  • [quote=bored_robots]? [/quote]
    Just imagining the frustration of
    [quote=bored_robots]It's getting a bit annoying now as I can't figure out which post I've read and which ones I haven't[/quote]
  • Don't want you to think I've forgotten about this BR. I can't imagine it's account-related (ie only affecting you), but I do need to be able to recreate it to get it fixed.
    Thanks for your input, Jan - can anyone else confirm whether the numbers are working for them or not?
  • All ticketty-boo this neck of the woods.
  • No problems here.
  • I've not had any problems either.
  • Thanks all.
    BR, I'm sorry for your troubles with this, and to send you on a goose chase, but would you mind creating a second account to see if the same thing happens? If it works okay with that second account, it has to be something to do with our software or database. I'm not sure how we would progress from there, but at least we'd have confirmation!