Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's In September's WM/WN due out soon...

2»

Comments

• Writers' News, pages 1 and 12 re Anne Brooke and PD Publishing

Someone recommended PD Publishing to me, and I asked PD if I could send in some short stories &/or flash fiction. They said OK.

Because I was ill, I didn't get round to it.

Obviously they may not have accepted my work, but now I'm glad I didn't submit anything.
  • It's difficult when you aren't in the same country as a company to know if they're okay. At least they are now on Pred and Edit list, so everyone can be wary.
    You sound to have had a lucky escape Jay.
  • Hi, Passionate pens. Why not add the websites under your Resources to Talkback's sticky thread Useful websites?
  • Hi, Viv. Great article. Not entirely sure I've got anything I can submit, though. ;)
  • I could have sworn I'd posted something about Trading Standards, but I can't find anything. In Michael Legat's Publishing Snippets, there's a bit about ghost writers and the Trading Standards Institute.
  • edited August 2011
    Writing Magazine, Under the microscope, page 42/43:

I wasn't sure about these. What do you think?

"As tears blurred her vision"; later, she's "barely able to see through the ... fog".

"as tough as she was"; but also "she was scared", and she cried and couldn't sleep partly because she was frightened.

"stench of bodily functions" - is 'functions' the right word?
  • edited August 2011
    Hi, Webbo.

Would something that's appeared in the One Word Challenge be considered "published" or could it be submitted to a competition in Writing Magazine or Writers' News?

Thanks.

Jay
  • Webbo, on page 1 of Writers' News, John Locke says he 'spent tens of thousands of dollars'. Any idea what exactly he spent his money on?
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Webbo, on page 1 of Writers' News, John Locke says he 'spent tens of thousands of dollars'. Any idea what exactly he spent his money on? [/quote]

:) Ooh it's a mystery, c'mon Webbo I"m on the edge of my seat.
  • John enlisted marketing and PR people, etc - the way a conventional publisher would attempt to get coverage and buzz. But he was not short of the financial backing to be able to take that sort of stab in the dark... unlike most authors!

For WM comps, I think we'd have to class a One Word Challenge as published I'm afraid, Jay.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]I could have sworn I'd posted something about Trading Standards, but I can't find anything.[/quote]

Found it! From 2008:

Doesn't the Trades Description Act cover (no pun intended) books?
  • Picked up a September issue of WM today and I've got a letter in it.
  • Oh. You found a letter in it?

I hope they remembered to put a stamp on it.

Only joking, what I meant to say was

Hurray for Dene
  • Well done, DB!
  • edited August 2011
    Congratulations, DB!
  • Well done DB.
  • [quote=dora]Oh. You found a letter in it?

I hope they remembered to put a stamp on it. [/quote]

It wasn't that kind of letter, just a letter from the alphabet ;-)