Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My book

edited August 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hello I'm writing a book and have no idea what the title should be anyone got any tip on how to come up with one?
from Amy

Comments

• If it's fiction, I find it helps to pick out a favourite line or quote, especially one that comes up quite often and work on that. Also, is there any illiteration that works that involves the hero's name or theme? I usually brainstorm and make a list. Something usually jumps out. Have fun - it's all part of the process. The one you choose might not be the one you end up with.
  • if it's not obvious yet, don't worry about it or that will distract you from the actual writing. You may well get to the end before something jumps out at you.

Good luck!
  • Agree with LilyC - don't worry about the title right now - just get it written and something is bound to come to you in due course. (No, I've never written a book, but the same applies to stories and articles.) :)
  • I've gone through loads of titles for my book. Since I'm still struggling to write it I've seen other books come out with the same titles sometimes. So don't worry about it as everybody else says. It'll come to you or you'll be given one.

I do think it's important to come up with a working title though. Something that locks the book together in your mind and helps you keep it together as a real entity rather than a a jumble of words or scenes.
  • Hello, Amy. Welcome to Talkback. Why not introduce yourself on a new discussion under the Welcome Writers category?

As for titles, I had the title for a short story. When I'd finished editing it, the reference was no longer there so I had to find another title!
  • A,y, like everyone else says leave it just now. A title will come. With one of my books it came frm something my main character said.
  • Publishers usually change it anyway. I use a "working" title which is often the name of the lead character.
  • I go with a working title that sums up the story I envisage.
    So don't worry, some people find titles easier, others don't get their title until the end.
  • Have you got one yet?
    What's the book about?
    What's the theme?
    Put these words into the middle of the page and do a mind map / word association thing.
    Take all the words you come up with and check alternatives of them all in a thesaurus....
  • I've changed my title twice, so I'm now on the third title and it's my favourite and I hope the publisher won't want to change it but then again, they might come up with something better.
  • I hated the title of my first book (Kicked Out) when it was first mentioned but after a couple of days I realised it was the best anyone had come up with and did fit the book and characters voice really well. At first I thought it was a bit juvenile for all that work I'd put in...