Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How can I raise money for a play?

edited November 2011 in - Writing Problems
I'm usually pretty good with Google for finding out how to do stuff, but maybe I am using the wrong terms here as I keep coming up blank.

Someone hinted to me on a course I attended that gaining funding for a play, to be shown at a Fringe event, was not as hard as it might first seem. But I cannot find a sniff of anyone offering small amount (less than a thousand) to unknown playwrights.

Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• LizLiz
    edited November 2011
    Oooh - hard. Because it won't just be a thousand will it, if you have to pay for the venue. And money to the ticket people to sell your tickets along withal the others, presumably.

I have a feeling that the Edinburgh 'fringe' office if there is one would be the place to start, as I've got a feeling that they have money which is given to support alternative/student/new upcoming whatevers etc stuff, but I also suspect you'd be doing it 2 years in advance.

Ok just had a look and they don't have money - except yours! This page tells you all the cost involved (quite a lot).

http://www.edfringe.com/participants/faq

I guess it depends what your play is about - who might sponsor you? Your company? Would they get advertising out of it? Who would gain by sponsoring you?
  • There is funding available for arts events. Try asking the arts officer at your local council.
  • This any help? http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding/grants-arts/
  • I applied for and won an Arts Council grant. Can give you advice, if you want it! It took me a few months though to get the answer through. It takes less time for small grants. Less than £5,000 I think, can't recall perfectly.
  • Yes please Liz, would love to have details.

I will whisper my email to you.