Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Terms Used To Describe Article Types

edited December 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hello

It would be so helpful to make sure I have covered all the different terminology used professionally by magazines when discussing articles with editors. Would you make a list with me?

I'm still not a fluent article writer - had a couple of small successes but the flow isn't there yet - so TODAY i'm getting back on the bicycle and trying again!

I remember with cringing regret a past phone conversation with a very uptight editor, talking in DBD's amongst other things - so allow me to start the list with that.

Are there any pro-terms to describe article types, such as list articles (1-10 points), or sub-headed paragraphs?

DBS
Double Page Spread

Comments

• Not my area, but I'm sure we will all learn something from the answers.
  • One thing I had to look up recently when an editor talked about it is a standfirst.
  • Only thing I can think of are box outs - those side sections with extra info in.

Thought double page spread was DPS?
  • [quote="Phot's Moll"]Thought double page spread was DPS?[/quote]
    You can be quoted, but only with alchemy!
    Double page spread is DPS, yes

Some others, completely at random:
    IFC, IBC, OBC - Inside front cover, inside back cover, outside back cover
    Splash - lead story on p1
    Standfirst - the blurby bit that describes what an article will cover
    Subhead - Any smaller titles used to break up the "wall of text" within an article.
    Widows and orphans - a single word cut off from the rest of a paragraph by a column break, either at the bottom or top of a column, respectively
    Boxout - any information panel
    sidebar - a boxout strip at the side of a page
    Screamer - exclamation mark (it used also to be a "bang" but I think that's quite archaic nowadays)
    Pullquote - an extract from the text displayed in large font to tease the reader in
    Byline - the credit for the journalist!
    Bio(g) - a brief explanation of the journalist's experience and credentials

Some types of piece:
    Interview - as it says, all you want to do is learn about the person
    Profile - might be less quote-heavy than an interview, with emphasis on, say, the subject's career or a particular aspect that he or she is a recognised expert in
    Opinion piece or editorial - could be chatty or dry, but usually stating your own opinion with supporting evidence
    First (or third)-person account - how you, or someone else, did something specific
    How to/step by step - how the reader should do something specific
    Advertorial - a positive piece, usually paid for by the company or service featured.
    Puff piece - similar to advertorial but PR-led and not necessarily paid for
    Snippet - not really definable, but the sort of thing you might get asked to do. Means different things to different publications, but prob somewhere between 100 and 500 words
    NIB - News in brief, see WN Flashes, or your local newspaper for examples

This is just to get us started, and I'd welcome anybody else's input. I would say, though, MicN, don't get too hung up on being able to use the terms yourself - better to accurately describe an article you're wanting to write than get into a muddle because what you deliver doesn't meet the editor's own definition - and even if you think you know what is required for a particular feature, it doesn't hurt to double check. There is some commonality, but every magazine has different needs!
  • edited December 2011
    That is a useful glossary Webbo. Thanks.

When DeneBebbo mentioned standfirst I assumed it was the blurby bit about the article's contents, but had no idea if it was, it just seemed the most logical assumption...

Looking at your explanations of the words they become more obvious. :)
  • edited December 2011
    [quote=Carol]they becomes more obvious[/quote]
    Ooh are they does, don't they Carol.

Screamer?

:)

tbh I'd was really bemused when I saw this the start of this thread but now it all has become clearer.
  • They're quite transparent mostly, but maybe that's only cos I already know them!
    If anybody has any they want clarifying, mention them here and we'll put our 50+ years of journalistic slang experience to productive use... finally!
  • OMG - the commissioned article.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]OMG - the commissioned article. [/quote] ;-)
  • [quote=dora]Screamer?[/quote]

:D
  • [quote=MicN2]DBS
    Double Page Spread[/quote]
    Phot's Moll - yes you're right that was my stupid typo. DPS

Wow - that's a hell of a list Webbo - many many thanks - and thanks to everyone else too.

We must have covered the meat of them here, surely! Or are there any stray vegetables?
  • I doubt it. Baggy nabbed all the broccoli, although I do believe she is regretting it now.