Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Comma when a character is addressed?

edited December 2011 in - Writing Problems
If you have a character being addressed in dialogue do you always need a comma? For example, should I write this:

"So what's all this about, Rashmi?"

or is this acceptable:

"So what's all this about Rashmi?"

Comments

• Needs a comma in almost all cases. Definitely needs one in the example you give, DB.

I think you can get away without one when you have 'Hello Fred.' But even then I'd tend to say 'Hello, Fred.'
  • You should use the comma.
    In the first sentence are asking Rashmi what all this is about.
    In the second sentence you are asking what is all this gossip concerning Rashmi.

Like the difference between:
    Let's eat Grandma, and, Let's eat, Grandma.
  • If you're addressing the comment to the person then yes a comma is needed.
    We had a thread on this type of comma a couple of months ago- a vocative comma...
  • All said!
    Comma!
  • ...ah yes, the vocative comma and those pesky little ellipsisisi.
  • What Eddisbury said, but never mind that - what is all this about Rashmi? I think we should be told.
  • so do I!! :D
    and who ate grandma?
  • who ate Grandma?
    or, who ate, Grandma?
    :)
  • I would like to ask,

When writing a characters thought/s do you use punctuation

eg;" I dont know how he does it," she thought. or. I dont know how he does it, she thought.
  • The usual convention is not to use the quotation marks.
  • Agree, no need for speech marks when the character is thinking. Some writers put the thoughts in italics though personally, I don't.
  • I rarely put my thoughts in italics: people only talk about you when you leave the room.