Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problem with my Study

edited February 2012 in - Writing Problems
Ok this is a bit of a random one. I recently did a blog post on where I write and have since decided I really need to get my finger out and actually use my study so here I am!

I had a mass tidy up, reshuffle, dust and I am now sat at my lovely ikea desk in a comfy chair on my laptop with a really really frustrating problem. The reflection on my laptop! Looking at the screen I can just see a major reflection of myself. Probably because my desk is in front of the window maybe???

I don't want to have a major furniture reshuffle if it's not going to solve the problem but what is the best way to solve my lighting problem. What is the best computer/desk position??

Told you it was random :-)

Comments

• What about some venetian blinds? Then you can adjust how much light comes in through the window. Give it a go with a blanket first, see if lack of light really does remove the reflection before spending money! It is what I would do.
  • if you've got a laptop with a glossy screen (which most seem to be) then you will get a reflection of something wherever you site it. the best solution is a laptop with a matt finish screen which isn't much help I know...try furthest away from light source with a window in front of you rather than behind
  • I have a similar problem in my studio, because it is a small room and a big window, the only way round it I have found is a venetian blind.
  • Ah bum! Doesn't look like there's an easy solution. I am currently facing the window straight on so the screen is facing me and was hoping if I moved the desk so it was side on (I heard somewhere that was what you were supposed to do with lighting) it would solve the problem, I just don't want to enlist furniture moving help if it's not going to work :-(
  • My desk is just to the right of a window with tropical sun coming in. I have made a sheer black curtain - it cuts down the glare without taking away the light. Try it.
  • How about a stand for your laptop so the screen is in between you and the window, and the light is not reflecting off your face don onto the screen. Then use a separate keyboard. It wouldn't cost that much.

My computer is in front of the window in my study, but it is a desktop computer so the light does not shine in on my face and so all I see is the screen.
  • My desk faces south and is just under a large window. Needless to say we have to close the curtains on a bright day to see the screen.
  • My desk is under a Velux. I have the computer off to one side, but I have the same reflection problem - there's me, looking back. I have a blackout blind which I leave down until the sun has shifted a bit.
    If the sun's on you, you will naturally be reflected in anything darker. Going to have to move, I think.
  • Couldn't you try an anti-glare screen protector?
    Thay have loads on Aamazon at various prices so there should be one to fit your laptop.
    I think they click-on/click-off so it you could just take it off when you want to use your laptop on the go.
  • use pen and paper and to hell with the laptop!!!
  • Apart from knowing an awful joke associated with venetian blinds, probably do in the next section, draw a curtain across.
  • right i kinda need some help i have this paper to wright on anything i want to but i have no idea what to wright about when it comes to wrighting my head just blanks can anyone help me !!!!!!!!!
  • Well curtains closed is certainly an improvement, more or less erases the problem completely, now I'm just missing that view...