Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's your schedule

edited March 2012 in - Writing Problems
Hi TBers

I'm trying to get in the habit of writing to more of a schedule but I am finding it a bit of a struggle. I wondered how other people managed their writing time? Also have you ever found that trying to work to a strict schedule inhibits your creativity?

Comments

• I'm starting to find what works for me, but still not perfect.
  • I think a lot depends on your 'day job' commitment and how much spare time you have to write.
  • That's so true. I'm lucky that I only have limited commitments from home - but even then I find I'm still 'writing' late at night, simply because I've been distracted elsewhere.
  • [quote=Emma B]Also have you ever found that trying to work to a strict schedule inhibits your creativity? [/quote] Being too strict probably wouldn't work for me but I do set myself tasks and deadlines.

I try (and usually succeed) to do something to further my writing every day. It might be writing a whole chapter, it might be buying a book of stamps ready for my next submissions.
  • I do it when it sort of takes me by the throat. And I have the energy. I'm very distractable during the day - by here, Facebook, making lunch, walking the dog, cuddling the dog, washing things, tidying stuff... emailing people... trying to forget all the bills and the thigs I have to do which i don't want to do... so I also tend to write in the evening.

Unless I have a deadline at which time I write all the time. It doesn't feel difficult then.
  • I write mostly in the evenings, after unwinding from the 9 to 5 job. Then all weekends, into the early hours.
  • edited March 2012
    "shuffles through papers"

"sees picture of a mmmmmmassive bottom"

OMG, I'm a big behind :(

I try a coupla hours every morn, but it doesn't always work that way.

I'm best faced with a deadline looming, then it's all go.

edited to say: from what you say about being inhibited by a strict schedule, I'm guessing you're saying even though you've planned time to write, it isn't working out?

Possibly all you need to do at the end of every session is make a brief note of what you need to do next session so the next time you go to your work area, you can start straight away where you left off, no faffing about looking for things.
    Also, don't go on the internet, check your mails or anything until you've added a substantial amount to your writing.
  • I work best when my mind is not cluttered. Mornings are best, with a promising light coming through the window. By mid afternoon there is so much other stuff around the house to be done I done get a look in. I don't have a 9-5 - unless you consider being a ft mum a job.
    I always save my work mid paragraph so I have to read through and "re-claim" the mindset and can pick up where I left of easily.
  • I'm a morning person too.-late morning is usually my most productive time. I usually set myself a target for the week- if I know I have free time. Sometimes I get weeks when I've no concentrated time at all, but I'm still doing other writing related stuff in between.
  • I am like SilverLining, I have no other commitments other than family, and for that I am truly blessed!

But, I have just written a blog post about organising writing. Not necessarily the times I do it, but what I do when I am at the desk.

I seem to be working, working, working, and producing naff all.

So this post couldn't have come at a better time for me!
  • I often go back to this thread, started by Baggy

http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=133062#Item_1

entitled:

Will you accept the six month challenge?

See if it helps.
  • I have just seen that!Coincidence? ;-)
    Not really got time to read it through properly right now, but will look at it later. I think I will accept the challenge though :D
  • Thanks, I wondered how regimented other writers were on this. Just done a quick blog post on the subject

http://wp.me/p1xCDp-5Z
  • edited March 2012
    See also these threads:

Where and when do you write?

When do you write? [more than one thread with this title, one of which was started by Emma]