Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Contacting Magazines

edited March 2012 in - Writing Problems
Hi all

I'm trying to keep a flow of ideas/pitches/semi-written articles. I'm a big believer that if you keep at it you get better at it - trying your damned hardest to not let the non-reply to your great pitch and article idea get you down.

But one thing I really dread is contacting the magazine for the correct editor for the section I want to write for. My first step is contacting them by email. If they don't reply, I know I have to call, and how many times are you put through to an answer machine?

I just wish they would publish all the current editors on their website when they aren't listed in the magazine. Any tips?

Comments

• You could call the magazine office and ask for the contact details of the relevant editor. I get nervous about calling editors too, but it's a good way of building up a relationship with them.
  • You're only nervous because it matters so much. If you were calling to ask if your dry-cleaning was in, or to make an appointment with the plumber, you wouldn't stress, would you?
    Think of it in those terms - they can't see you, you know, and to them it isn't personal.
  • [quote=bertiebear] If you were calling to ask if your dry-cleaning was in, or to make an appointment with the plumber, you wouldn't stress, would you?[/quote]

"comes out in a hot flush, scratches at rash"