Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Greenhouse Funny Prize

edited May 2012 in - Resources
http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/blog/announcing-the-greenhouse-funny-prize/

Open to unagented writers. Deadline 30th July. Children's.

Apparently, funny is what agents and publishers are looking for!

Comments

• Ooh great. Is it okay if I put a link to that on my blog - I'll credit you with alerting me to it!
  • edited May 2012
    I do funny! Both sorts. But I think my target age-group is wrong for this prize. :) :(
  • I'm sure it's fine, Lou. Nice of you to mention me though :)

Jay, have you ever thought of writing for a younger audience? Seriously. Bet you'd be good at it - and there's a big need for GayYA.
  • I think Anthony Horowitz [sp?] may be going to do something. And he's much more famous than me. :)

I suppose 'All About Sex' has young characters in it. Hmm.
  • Definitely!
  • Will be giving this a bash. Thanks Rosalie.
  • Me too - I have found something to submit that I'd given up with but actually, it's quite funny!
  • I'm hoping to enter for it too - just need to write something funny first!
  • [quote=Rosalie]just need to write something funny first! [/quote]

Am I right in assuming that the submission has to be from an already-written book, not just a random piece? Does this mean you all have completed manuscripts at the back of the cupboard ready to dust down?

I would have entered this, but sadly don't have time to write a hilarious book in time for the end of the competition. :(
  • I clicked on the link and discovered it's only open to writers "currently resident in the UK or Ireland".
    That's me out, then.
    :(
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Me too - I have found something to submit that I'd given up with but actually, it's quite funny![/quote]

Send 'em Granny Gold, that ol' bitch'll get 'em chuckling
  • That's a shame, Liz. :(
  • [quote=ceka]Send 'em Granny Gold, that ol' bitch'll get 'em chuckling [/quote]

Hee hee, the daft old crone!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I would have entered this, but sadly don't have time to write a hilarious book in time for the end of the competition. [/quote]

When are the winners announced? Can you have completed the rest of the manuscript by then? Nothing like a tight deadline to spur you on!!!
  • That's what I was thinking!

And yes, go for it with Granny Gold. I'm still waiting for the next instalment from her on your blog...
  • [quote=Rosalie]Can you have completed the rest of the manuscript by then?[/quote]

Never mind the rest of the manuscript...I haven't even a beginning yet!!! I think I'll have to pass on this one.
  • It can work! In 2008 I decided I wanted to enter a competition for a YA book at the Winchester Writers' Conf. Wrote beginning and synopsis of 'Coping with Chloe' in a week and it later (eventually) became a published book.

Mind you, humour to order? Could be tricky...
  • Wow-eeee.

*seriously impressed by Rosalie's lightning fingers*
  • :) Thanks - though I think it was only the first 500 words in that case!
  • [quote=Rosalie] I'm still waiting for the next instalment from her on your blog... [/quote]

I know, I'm so behind with that...!
  • Oh no! Just had a brill idea for a new book to enter for this. Now have to write 5K words and synopsis by end of July!

Actually that's only 89 words a day so it's probably doable! And the whole thing will only be about 15K as it's for 7-9s.

I've even got a great title that's not been used by anyone else!!! Right, got to get going.
  • Good luck, Lou!
  • Good luck from me too.
  • Yes, good luck, Lou.
  • First chapter finished!
  • Well done! I'm sure it'll be great.
  • Finished my 5K words; just got to write synopsis and blurb!
  • Great, Lou. Keep going.
  • Good stuff, and good luck with synopsis and blurb
  • Well, it's now done and sent off, and I also sent off another one as you're allowed two. And I've just noticed that they don't have to be finished, so I can relax a bit now! So glad I entered as it's been a great way to kick start a new book - I now have the first three chapters, synopsis and blurb - no excuse for not finishing it now whatever happens with the comp.
  • Good luck, Lou!
  • Best of luck, Lou!
  • Fantastic, Lou! The only way is up!!
  • Crikey, that's what I call putting your foot to the pedal, Lou! Congrats on getting it done.
  • Good luck!
  • Just had an email to say I am not shortlisted and it's not funny! :(
  • Awww, sorry to hear that.
  • Thanks, Carol. The email said they had over 700 submissions. I wonder if any Tbers made the short list, hope so.
  • Me neither, Kateyanne :-(
  • [quote=kateyanne]Just had an email to say I am not shortlisted and it's not funny![/quote]

Did they really say that? How rude! No sense of humour, obviously...

Sorry about that ka and Rosalie. Their loss.
  • Oh no Tiny Nell they didn't say it's not funny in the email! That was me being funny adding that, but reading what I wrote now I see what u mean! And that is funny!
  • Ohhhhhhh. Well, it does sound funny as your comment, ka, but if I thought it came from the organisers, my face would be po- (That looks odd. Po-faced)
  • Shouldn't that read POE-faced? ;)
  • Well, it's definitely not POO-faced. That much I know.
  • Poo head?
  • What an image!
  • Mrs Ploptie.
  • Nor me. Can't find the shortlist to look at it - anyone got a link?
  • Found it! Congrats to the shortlisted people - some intriguing titles there!

http://greenhouseliterary.com/index.php/site/funny_prize
  • Yes that baked bean one sounds interesting.