Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Fifty Shades of Grey - Have we discussed this and I missed it ?

Comments

• ^---- Not for the faint-hearted, mind

Oh dear FT - that fills your head with some vile imagery, but very very funny!
  • I'm in utter shock! I think I may be actually traumatised :-(

I will never think of custard in the same way...
  • I was in Worcester yesterday. This book was promoted on a display stand outside 'The Works' without any warning of its content.
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2012
    Oh, my son and I just laughed till we cried over the one I generated. He still has the list I found him when he was younger so he could be the coolest synonym for sexual parts generator (male and female) in the playground. Secondary school playground, I hasten to add. He was never bullied.

(Edit to say, did take out all the ones that could have been called pejorative or sexist and kept the funnys)
  • Hmmm...
  • Mine had the words, 'wizard sleeve' in. I'm never going to use another synonym.
  • [quote=Webbo]^---- Not for the faint-hearted, mind[/quote]
    Sorry, Webbo. I should have put a warning.
  • There were two women in Sainsburys discussing it, I wanted to cry. Bet they have never read a proper book.

There too it was in a display that anyone could reach, with no warning, mind you do you think there is anyone on the planet who doesn't know what it is about?
  • FT that was brilliant.
  • Did anyone else have one with a lot of references to custard??
  • [quote=flyingtart]Sorry, Webbo. I should have put a warning.[/quote]
    Oh no, don't worry FT. I just had visions of some innocent stumbling in... although how innocent anyone could expect this thread to be, I don't know!
  • No custard for me Emma, lots of seafood.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm afraid it doesn't impress me at all, and still wouldn't have done when I was still a railwayman. The one I saw had several references to "cocoa holes" and "fudge bullets"
  • LOL!
  • [quote=JohnWho63]The one I saw had several references to "cocoa holes" and "fudge bullets"[/quote]

That made me check it out. Quite funny.
  • 'Pink tractor beam'?

Couldn't find that one in the dictionary. Whatever can they mean?

*Titters from behind the bike shed*

P.S. Amused, yet still not enthused enough to pick up my copy and read it. Besides, it's probably far too smutty for my delicate, naive fifty shades of grey matter.
  • 'Fudge bullets' seems to be a favourite with the generator, and the 'brie baton'...
  • My mouth's watering...

I guess it shouldn't be.
  • "sweating like a dyslexic on Countdown" is my particular favourite
  • *Is still not sure if he should click on this link.*
  • Don't do it!!
  • Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on you know you want to!
  • Ok, I'm officially a prude.
  • Just generated another one for OH to laugh at and it was not so funny, quite worrying in fact... so I think it is a lottery whether it's laughable or teeth-clenchingly awful...
  • [quote=flyingtart]For those of you who enjoyed it, here's a way to get your fix:[/quote]

baconipsum - a meatier Lorem Ipsum

I'm laughing so much I'm wetting myself.

*hasty backpedalling*

No! No! Let me rephrase that.

I was alright with the 50 shades generator until I read about her "one slice toaster" and now I'm crying with laughter.
  • [quote=Webbo]I just had visions of some innocent stumbling in[/quote]

Seriously, do we still get those? I thought we'd scared them off years ago.

How the world has moved on (or even shifted) since the humble days of the marmite miner.
  • edited August 2012
    Just mentioned to my younger daughter that I was surprised at the number of hits on my latest blog. She told me that a friend of hers has it as a F/Book link, 'Fifty Shades of Old and Grey.' I'm flattered...I think...
  • :D

Oh, the young and beautiful can be so cruel, but their time will come...
  • Why are so many women reading this book? It seems strange to me given that the story seems to be about a bloke sexually abusing a woman.
  • Dene, I'm not reading it and I do know of others who are avoiding it.

Some people like to read trash and others don't.
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]Why are so many women reading this book? It seems strange to me given that the story seems to be about a bloke sexually abusing a woman. [/quote]

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/13/living/fifty-shades-buzz-50-shades-success/index.html
  • edited August 2012
    [quote=paperbackwriter]
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/13/living/fifty-shades-buzz-50-shades-success/index.html
    [/quote]

The way I look at it is this. If a woman had a friend who said she was in a relationship with a bloke who's into kinky sex and wants to take it further by hitting her, would she tell her friend to get out of the relationship fast or instead ask for all the details of the sex because she finds it titillating? It seems to be akin to the latter when it comes to the novel.
  • The most common comment I overheard was 'everybody is talking about it on Facebook' though I doubt EVERYONE was...Just their friends and acquiantances so they didn't want to be the odd one out.

So I'm sure a lot of the sales was a mixture: of they'd heard about the kinky sex element- not that I know if there was anything kinky involved within the book.
    Or it was being pushed everywhere- piles of books in the shops, big posters up in the windows, so obviously it's the book you MUST buy just to say you've read it.
    Or it's the talk of every social network site so I need to know so I can talk about it.
  • This is true. It went viral and people buy it out of curiosity.

I can't get past the free sample on Amazon. It makes my eyes water it's so bad.
  • [quote=flyingtart]I can't get past the free sample on Amazon. [/quote]

I had the same problem.
  • Add me to that problem.
  • edited August 2012
    Fifty shades of shit ...

... at least that's the new title of it in our household.
  • Read this on Netmums:

"What to read after 50 Shades

So, you've read the book of the moment and fancy dipping into more erotic fiction? "

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez! The book of the moment? ... MORE erotic fiction? So fifty shades is erotic?

"rols around on floor for two days laffing ass off"

As if one's head isn't mashed up enough after giving birth, you're then directed by Netmums to digest more junk. Crikeeeeeeeeeees.
  • Just found this on Facebook.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/JohntheVic/CaptureCGKS2011_zps465f2e25.jpg
  • Snickers more like in this household.
  • [quote=kado]I was in Worcester yesterday. This book was promoted on a display stand outside 'The Works' without any warning of its content. [/quote]

Do you mean a warning as to it being badly written?!
  • John, I think that is pretty gross.

If a child sees that ....

It's awful.
  • Again... Facebook isn't for children, it's for adults and over 13s. So children below teenage shouldn't see that picture. Hopefully!

They spelled the name of the character wrong!
  • This is a real hoot. One of the local mystic/magic bookshops has decided to stock it instead of the original. I didn't buy it immediately but I might get it for my Christmas present. I flicked through it and it's really funny.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14060248-fifty-shames-of-earl-grey
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]So children below teenage shouldn't see that picture[/quote]

My son has just turned thirteen and is currently being taught sex ed at school, but I'd hate for him to see this.

It's ghastly.
  • [quote=dora]My son has just turned thirteen and is currently being taught sex ed at school, but I'd hate for him to see this.

It's ghastly. [/quote]

I agree. Is fb is not moderated, or do they allow anything to be posted? Does anyone know?