Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Fifty Shades of Grey - Have we discussed this and I missed it ?

Comments

• [quote=paperbackwriter]This is a real hoot.[/quote]

How good could it be if it was written that quickly?
  • I don't think it was. Checking it out on Amazon, I see it was first published in January of this year, and the July edition is a reprint. Also, FSOG has been out as fan fiction for several years, I believe, before it was collected into the trilogy, so these authors would have had the normal lead time to work on this project.
  • Aaah. The whole kit and caboodle is new to me.

You are not allowed to post lewd content on Facebook I don't think - you can be reported can't you?
  • I think we've got a cross purpose here, sorry. I was talking about the FSOG spoof book, I forgot we were still discussing the photo on fb.
  • First remark of mine was to you, pbw, re the funny book, last remark to you re the content on FB.
  • pbwpbw
    edited September 2012
    Courtesy of a friend:

Four guys have been going on the same fishing trip for many years. This year, Ron's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going. Bitterly disappointed he phones and tells the others that he can't go.

Two days later, the other guys get to the camping site only to find Ron sitting there with a tent already set up. "Bloody hell Ron, how did you talk your missus into letting you go?"

"Well, yesterday evening, after my wife finished reading "Fifty Shades Of Gray," she dragged me into our bedroom, on the bed she had handcuffs and ropes!

She told me to tie and handcuff her to the bed, so I did.

Then she said, "Do whatever you want."

So, Here I am!!!"
  • [quote=paperbackwriter] after my wife finished reading "Fifty Shades Of Gray," she dragged me into our bedroom, on the bed she had handcuffs and ropes![/quote]

I know what PBW has written here is a joke, but I must admit I do find it sad that a lot of people seem to be finding they've undergone a sex education after having read this crap.

Which only goes to say, if they didn't have the imagination before reading this naffness to be more adventurous in the bedroom, then they must all be complete dullards.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Facebook isn't for children, it's for adults and over 13s. So children below teenage shouldn't see that picture. Hopefully![/quote]
    That's in an ideal world, Lou.
    I know of many children younger than 13 who've faked their birthdate so they could have a Facebook account. Their parents seem to think it's fine for them to do that because, "all their friends have one." I wonder if those same parents monitor their child's account once they have one. I sadly doubt it.
  • It would be a dullard child who couldn't work out what their parents' passwords are anyhow. Most people write them down somewhere as there are so many.

If you think your child will not try and use the computer whilst you are out to get up to all sorts once they are young teenagers you are kidding yourself - always supposing you have only one computer.

If they have their own, they can basically do what they want, whatever restrictions you put in place.

Son was amazingly frank about what was spoken about and done at school... and amongst his friends. And my daughter, now a young adult, concurs. In this day and age, protecting your children is absolutely pointless. What you need to do is give them a strong moral basis, tools to cope with what they WILL encounter, the knowledge of what is safe and most normally done.
  • [quote=Liz]If you think your child will not try and use the computer whilst you are out to get up to all sorts once they are young teenagers you are kidding yourself [/quote]
    Absolutely true.

[quote=Liz]What you need to do is give them a strong moral basis, tools to cope with what they WILL encounter, the knowledge of what is safe and most normally done.[/quote]
    Spot on. (Ooh heck, this is almost becoming the Liz Fan Club, isn't it? Hehehe) I do agree with you though, Liz.
  • I agree too, Liz.

When my seventeen year old daughter went to tea at a new friend's house a few years ago she came home and told me that they had been on Chat Roulette. Fortunately, she has always been very frank with me. I knew nothing about it and it was a new experience for her although the friend had tried it before as had lots of other young teenagers. I was horrified when she told me what she had witnessed - a live 'show' of some weirdo man somewhere in the USA 'behaving most inappropriately' into the camera. I don't know if he could see the girls. Apparently, the webcam can stop on anyone that's linked in anywhere around the world for 'a chat'. I couldn't believe that the girl's mother had not kept an eye on what they were doing. I felt my daughter's innocence had gone at that instant and it really upset me that she should be exposed to something like that as I had protected her all my life from anything that could sully her innocence. It's a sad world.
  • And I think it's also important to try and maintain that link with your son/daughter, so that they will discuss anything and know you'll treat their confidences with respect.
  • I am fortunate that my children feel comfortable enough to be able to discuss anything with me - and invariably do. Obviously there will always be certain things they won't tell me, (which I accept) but I do try to keep very aware of what is going on with them. By the same token, this has to work both ways and so to a certain extent I try to keep them relatively informed about what is happening at the adult level of the family, too. I believe our relationship is a very open and trusting one but like you, TN, I have had heart palpitations where other relationships that are not so pleasing have entered into the equation.

[quote=Tiny Nell]they had been on Chat Roulette...'behaving most inappropriately' into the camera...it really upset me that she should be exposed to something like that as I had protected her all my life from anything that could sully her innocence[/quote]
    Chat Roulette is one of the worrying ones, TN. It's always a shock when we have to face the brutal reality that not everyone conducts their lives in the manner in which we choose to bring up our own children. My daughter also dabbled in the seemingly innocent "Bebo Hotel" and "Habbo Hotel" when she was a pre-teen which I found quite disconcerting. The people on those sites could have been absolutely anyone which to me, was a worrying introduction to internet sites. I am tremendously pleased she seems to have a very good (and wary) head on her shoulders. My children are actually the ones who "warned" me against volunteering any personal details on Talkback and Facebook. Good, hey?
  • Always been frank and honest with my two too! If they ask, they get told. Although one of my favourite moments was when my daughter had sex ed in year 5, she had asked me stuff about where babies come from and I'd told her, but never offered information that wasn't asked for, so I picked her up from school and with a smirk she said. 'you know how I know where babies come from?' 'Yes' I replied. 'I know how they get there now.' It was just the way she said it.

We are pretty computer savvy in this house, what with hubby being an IT professional and me always having used one and pretty much self taught, the kids have grown up with them and we have always made it clear exactly just how different other people can be and to be careful. They are. Now son is nearly 17 I don't think I want to know, although to be honest all I hear from his room are him and all his mates on skype whilst playing an online game that seems to involve dwarves, large axes and lots of screaming.
  • edited September 2012
    [quote=Neph]an online game that seems to involve dwarves, large axes and lots of screaming.[/quote]

There you are then, Neph. Nothing to worry about!!!

Yes, I agree with all said. However shocked I am at what I'm told by my children, I never show it because I don't want to put them off telling me about anything else. I never judge either, but do try to have a discussion.

I know so much about my daughter's friends that it's hard to keep my trap shut sometimes when I speak to their parents and they think they have brought up angels. I hope I'm not that deluded.
  • Ditto Nell!

But - I only have to think about what I got up to as a teenager to realise that we are, and they are, all the same.

Teenagers have to experiment, they have to find out to some extent the hard way, in order to come to the better opinions and standards and behaviour etc they will hopefully adopt forever in life.
  • [quote=Liz]But - I only have to think about what I got up to as a teenager to realise that we are, and they are, all the same. [/quote]

I know!

I would never dare tell and dread the day a childhood friend visits and spills the beans. I'm worried that if they know I did something, then they'll think it must be alright.

We watched that live dugs trial last night and I got my seventeen year old to watch. Lots of her friends take drugs, as bright as they are and from such privileged backgrounds. I was so relieved when she said she has never and would never touch them. I do worry about peer pressure.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]We watched that live dugs[/quote]

Sorry, that should read DRUGS. Nothing to do with Tony Robinson excavating for treasure.

Now you'll all think I've been at the bottle.
  • We don't think that at all, Nell. We know what we know.

Sadly my OH is also very open and quite happily has told both my two about all the things he got up to as a young teen(including smoking 40 a day and crashing his car very badly while under the influence) - his dad died while teaching him to drive age 17 with his 12 yr old brother in the back of the car, and his mum was in hospital having a hysterectomy at the time which made him the man of the house all of a sudden. The reasons behind his off the rail behaviour go unnoticed though...

My own behaviour does not go well under scrutiny and OH is quite happy to share that too, including my descent into drug abuse (i had some very strange friends) and the one time I did smoke a cigarette which he has memorised as a terrible addiction.

So now if I mention drugs at all they roll their eyes and say things like, you can talk mum!
  • What a dreadful thing to happen to your OH, Liz. Yes, there are often such reasons as to why people go off the rails.

Liz, I had you down as a clean-living sort of girl. Who knows what secrets lurk behind our TB personas!

*zips lips together tightly*
  • LOL! Actually, it wasn't as bad as all that. Let's just say I experimented a couple of times. i did not enjoy it AT ALL. My main memory is of lying on the carpet in the middle of a large room. My book was by the skirting. My arms were definitely long enough to reach the skirting, in fact they were very long, very, very, extremely and ludicrously long... but would they reach that book? And somehow I couldn't get up. This was because my arms were tooooo long. Oh, yes. insanely long. How did they get that long? but it would be useful, for all sorts of things. Like reaching that book, But still, they weren't QUITE long enough.

This was because my boyfriend was in Morocco and had sent me some stuff that morning, in a little leather bag which you were supposed to hang round your neck. I suspect under your clothes, but I had worn it outside my clothes all day. It must have smelt quite strong, as it was completely pure, and was like a brick. I had no idea what to do with it but smoked it all in one go.

After waking up aout 3 days later I felt extremely ill. And never had any again.
  • Oh, Liz. I am laughing my head off at that.

In fact, I shall be laughing all evening.

Hilarious. Blinking hilarious.

I'm going to read that every time I need cheering up.
  • I'm still chuckling.
  • Did anyone see Will Gompertz interview E.L. James this morning? Interestingly enough, she described her approach as "pantser", writing scene by scene, asking herself "Where will this go next? What are the characters doing today?"
    She said she started with the premise of speculating on what it must actually be like living in the world of the super-rich, since they are, in effect, a planet or two away from the rest of us.
  • My son just sent me this:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9QpBgf
  • Oh my! Which just goes to show that it is indeed a load of...
  • I don't get it.

What's the big deal about saying clitoris?
  • Well, he's gay for a start. And reading out that book would have been a bit odd as he is a man, rather than a woman, the narrator.
  • [quote=dora]What's the big deal about saying clitoris?[/quote]

clitoris

*waits for world to end*
  • I think it's a comment on the Oh My as it's one of his well used phrases, the title of his book too.
  • Quite - he's an incredibly good publicist - and a mad keen Twitterer, and the stuff he tweets is always brilliant.
  • [quote=Liz]And reading out that book would have been a bit odd as he is a man[/quote]

Sorry. But he didn't come across as odd to me, because he was a man reading that book. In fact, I find that quite a narrow minded view.

What is odd to me is that anyone could find it odd a man reading that book aloud.

Still, wouldnt do if we were all the same.
  • Follow him on Facebook, he has a brilliant sense of humour.
  • [quote=pbw]She said she started with the premise of speculating on what it must actually be like living in the world of the super-rich, since they are, in effect, a planet or two away from the rest of us. [/quote]

And the first thing that came to mind for her was an abusive sexual relationship?!
  • Well, I am not narrow-minded, far from it. If I was choosing someone to read my book and it was written in the first person by a female about sexual encounters, including descriptions of a man doing things to the protagonist's clitoris, I would definitely want a woman to read out the book.

George Takei is famous for his 'Oh My' comments and is a guest on a lot of shows and given just that line - he did it on one of my favourites, Third Rock from the Sun. That's what they were laughing at - but the whole situation is funny, the gay ma reading the woman's part and the delicious 'Oh My' which are also him being outrageously advertising his book - you asked why him saying clitoris was so funny, but that isn't what was funny per se. The whole thing was.
  • [quote=Neph]Follow him on Facebook, he has a brilliant sense of humour.[/quote]

Do you follow him on Twitter, Neph?
  • Just started to Liz, watched him on I'm a celebrity too and think he is just one very funny nice man.
  • [quote=Neph]think he is just one very funny nice man.[/quote] Agreed. I LOVE his delivery, too.
  • pbwpbw
    edited December 2012
    I agree with GT and yes, what a gift for him. I wanted to read FSOG but I found the repetition of "Holy Crap!" in the first book too distracting and I would find that repetition of "Oh my!" distracting also. I think in the trade, it's called 'redundancy', isn't it? It slows down the prose, makes the process of reading laborious and wearies your reader? Am I right with all that?
  • [quote=Liz]you asked why him saying clitoris was so funny, but that isn't what was funny per se. The whole thing was.[/quote]

Oh I see.

I didn't know he was gay.

I still can't see anything funny in it at all.

[quote=Liz] I would definitely want a woman to read out the book. [/quote]

Wouldn't mind if a male or female read such stuff out to me. In fact, there are some situations I'd prefer a male to read such stuff out to me.
  • The next BIG thing in erotica...calm down....
    will be

The Juliette Society by Sasha Grey. You mark my words.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Juliette-Society-Sasha-Grey/dp/0751551589
  • [quote=dora]Wouldn't mind if a male or female read such stuff out to me. In fact, there are some situations I'd prefer a male to read such stuff out to me.[/quote]
    A lady I know in Exeter is among the very many who swear they will never buy 50 Shades, but has said she would definitely consider buying an audio version, provided it was being read by David Tennant.
  • I can understand that!
  • And apparently the actor who played Alex Rider in 'Storm Breaker'- who has now all grown up, and quite nicely too ;) has been filming an audition of one of the film's sex scenes...:)
  • [quote=JohnWho63]but has said she would definitely consider buying an audio version,[/quote]

Good for her, yet I'd not listen to an audio of Fifty Shades. I'd still have visions of a schoolboy having written it no matter who was reading it out.
  • Just seen this on Facebook. As the caption says, I don't want to know what the bookmarks are for either.
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/JohntheVic/Capture50ShadesBookmarks_zpseb7effae.jpg
  • They're the bits where there isn't any sex, John.