Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Your favourite Stephen King

edited August 2012 in - Resources
Which is your favourite Stephen King and why?

Also, do you think age fourteen too young to read The Stand? Are there any age restrictions on any of his books, do you know, please?

Comments

• I read the Exorcist aged about 14. I think I was too young. But - today's kids are so much more exposed to horror. In every X-box game there is horror.

What Steven King has is a very good command of suspense and fear. If the 14 year old is at all vulnerable, I'd say they were too young. If they are down to earth and not given to nightmares i should think they'd be ok. Stephen King has a very strong MORAL thread though his books - good and bad are very clearly defined.
  • Was The Exorcist a Stephen King?
  • No the Exorcist isn't King but is a really good read. The Stand should be fine for a fourteen year old. Lots of rock and roll and apocalypse :)

My favourite is The Shining.I love his short story collections too. It's what made me want to write horror shorts. I wouldn't worry too much about age. Stephen King hardly has any shock horror gore. It's more suspense and twisted realities like Liz said. Also a teenager knows if the book is too much and stops reading.
  • I watched the film Pet Semetary at school when I was 14/15 and then read the book soon after. I really enjoyed the book, but I guess having seen the movie first I knew what I was getting into!
  • I've never read any Stephen King books, but I have watched the film of 'Misery' many times - it's my favourite film. (I'm partial to a snowy film or book)
  • No, should have mentioned that, what I meant was it WAS horror and I hadn't seen anything or read anything like it before and was scared.
  • edited August 2012
    I'll give my boy The Stand, then and will have a look at Pet Semetary. Not sure about the Exorcist, think I'll give that one a miss for him right now as I saw the film when I was around 14 and look how I've turned out.

I've read one or two from King's short story collections.

Are there any of his anyone knows are not worth reading, only I vaguely remember a while back somebody mentioned to me he did write a few books that weren't so good yet I can't remember the title(s).
  • Insomnia is terrible, unless it was meant as a cure for the affliction, in my opinion anyway. I couldn't get into Dreamcatcher either, the rest are good though. The Bachman Books he wrote are also good. I read Christine pre-teen and it didn't do me any harm. He should be ok with King, Richard Laymon would probably put him off going to America for life though.
  • I haven't read any of his for a long time, but I have read a substantial number (my sister had a whole library of his work).

I loved IT, The Shining, Pet Semetary, Needful Things, Misery is spine-chilling. I thought Insomnia was fine. I've read many more but would have to go through his catalogue to be reminded.

I admire the way he creates his atmospheres, and builds suspense.
    IT is my fave because I found it so scary I couldn't put the light off to go to sleep, and no other book has ever made me as scared.

My fave one was second fave was the one about the isolated hotel in the mountains of Montana (?) where things are going on (of course) and the topiary shrubbery comes alive. I think it's The Shining but I can't remember.

Enjoyed The Dark Half but it didn't thrill me. Must complete the Dark Tower series, supposed to be brill, and I must read some of his newer stuff.
  • Book: Misery. Scares me to death every single time! The very thought that you could end up in that situation. The knowledge that there are psycho's like that 'out there'! The Family Guy version is hilarious and just as warped ;-)

Films: Carrie. I didn't want to go back to school after I had first seen it.

The Shining. 'Here's Johnny'. Need I say more?!
  • My favourite is 'On Writing'.
  • [quote=Phots Moll]My favourite is 'On Writing'.[/quote]

I was just about to buy a copy: the reviews are very good.

There's also a book by the (sadly) late Maeve Binchy 'The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club'. Has anyone read this, and if so, is it worth buying?
  • I haven't. But the Stephen King one is very good indeed.
  • [quote=Ava]The Shining. 'Here's Johnny'. Need I say more?![/quote]

Great line though not actually in the book as Nicholson made that up on the day. The shining is almost a perfect novel, forget genre. If it came out today classed as literature it would be universally respected. Though not sell the million truck loads.
  • I read Under the Dome two summers ago. I really enjoyed it but I found myself somewhat disappointed at the ending. The book and The Simpsons movie share a similar plot which is just by pure chance, I didn’t think that either of them affected the other, if you take my meaning.

I’m hunting for book four of The Tower series. My friend said his mum has read them all and was cursing Stephen King at the end but he failed to say why. He also said that he found after he was hit by van, in his option, his writing became worse. I’ve not read enough of Stephen King’s work to comment.
  • Having read the write upon Wiki I want to read The Long Walk.

Went to the library y'day and took out Blaze, and Full Dark No Stars, so will try them now.

Told my son I'd dig out The Stand for him and he keeps telling me to naff off, he'll find his own books thank you. Charmin!
  • Ooooh - the Green Mile is wonderful. Always makes me cry. The man accused is accused of child rape and murder, but he didn't do it - and in a way it has a happy ending.
  • I loved The Stand and Insomnia. His book On writing is fantastic and I find myself turning to it when I get stuck with my own writing. Dean Koontz also wrote a book about writing that's fantastic.
  • I agree St Force - I don't think that Stephen King is very good at endings. I've read quite a few of his novels over the years and have nearly always been disappointed. However, I recently read 11.22.63 his latest time travel/historical novel, which I thoroughly enjoyed. His son, Joe Hill, suggested the ending to this novel and it works so well. I can recommend it.
  • I loved The Dark Half, and The Stand is one of my favourite books of all time. Richard Bachman's Thinner was great too - never ate another cherry pie after that!

Love King's short stories.

Not keen on his son Joe Hill's writing; I recently read a father/son collaboration and didn't enjoy it all.
  • On first reading of The Stand, I found the ending seemed to be never ending.
  • I love the film "Misery" - Kathy Bates is the best, but when I tried reading the book I was very disappointed with the quality of the writing. I haven't tied any other Stephen King books; though loads of stuff I like film wise, has turned out to be him. This has made me think he's more of an an ideas man, though he does write a good screen play, but in his books, when it comes to quality writing is it a case of could try harder?
    Hope I'm not saying something sacreligious here.
  • Isn't it strange, MoiraQ - conversely. I am always disappointed by the films of his books! There is so much thought, imagination and mental dialogue by the main characters which never comes across in the films. Misery was one of my least favourite books, I must say.
  • [quote=dora]Full Dark No Stars[/quote]

I love that title and I really want to read that one. Thanks for reminding me, dora.
  • I did only try reading the one LilyC; maybe not a good choice if it's your least favourite and you've read lots. Perhaps not a fair judgement on the others, then, though as a result I haven't felt inclined to read any more.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Great line though not actually in the book as Nicholson made that up on the day. The shining is almost a perfect novel, forget genre. If it came out today classed as literature it would be universally respected. Though not sell the million truck loads. [/quote]

Thanks SilentTony :-) I didn't know that. I can just imagine Jack coming up with it ... he's one of the 'greats' in my opinion!

P.S.I did have it under 'films', as I must admit to not having read that particular book.
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2012
    i found it very difficult to read - not the writing, superb writing, but the suspense is positively nerve killing. The end is dark. I can't watch the film at all because the book is so scary!
  • One Saturday I found that my wife had rented a DVD called The Green Mile. I was distraught to learn that it was 3 hours 8 minutes long as it was my turn to work overtime the next day and I would really have liked to get to bed reasonably early. After what seemed like 10 minutes I was saying "Is that the end? I was enjoying that!"

I've subsequently bought the DVD and book.

I am a horror writer, but my leaning is definitely towards supernatural (dark fantasy as it's known these days). I don't like the branch of horror that could be described as "man's inhumanity to man": the thought that it could actually happen disturbs me too much.

I saw The Exorcist at the cinema when I was 14 - I don't know how I got in! I'm sure I didn't look 18. I enjoyed it and didn't come to any harm as a result.
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]I saw The Exorcist at the cinema when I was 14 [/quote]

Scallywag!
  • Adopting best Frasier Crane voice: Guilty, as charged.
  • Talking of The Green Mile, RIP Michael Clarke Duncan (aka John Coffey - like the drink only not spelled the same way).
  • Yes, Onlinegenie - very sad news. A great actor, and so young.
  • I read The Shining and Salem's Lot as a teenager and thought they were both fantastic.
    I didn't read the Green Mile, but loved the film - so sad to hear about the death of Michael Clarke Duncan.
  • I've recently finished It (I know, up with the times) and hugely enjoy it. Apart from a clever dual (ish) story line, it has some very cleverly written filmic 'cuts' and a real sense of its own mythology.

I really like the way he convinces you of the normality of the book's world before he asks the reader to suspend their disbelief.
  • That's how he writes all his books, and in my opinion that's the only way to write anything that requires you to suspend disbelief - magical realism, horror, science fiction etc al - convince you of the reality of the characters and situations and get you sympathetic with them before you turn their world literally upside down.
  • Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/stephen-king-to-publish-sequel-to--the-shining--next-year.html
  • Oooh, indeed. I'll be reading that! Thanks pbw.
  • Just spotted this thread when I was skimming through subjects and Stephen King caught my eye. I think I read all of his stuff when I was in my late teens and twenties as he was my favourite writer back then.

I read 'The Girl who loved Tom Gordon' about ten years ago and really enjoyed it, even though it was quite a departure from his usual style. I adored The Stand and really enjoyed the film (made me fall in love with Crowded House's song from the soundtrack 'Don't dream it's over'.

However, my favourite book by King was in fact a joint fantasy novel with Peter Straub called The Talisman. co- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Talisman_(King_%26_Straub_novel) and I also really enjoyed the sequel, The Black House which is a bit darker and was written just over a decade ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_House_(novel)

The summer before I headed off to uni, my father handed me The Talisman (although he had read all the classics, he also consumed everything we kids took home from the library regardless of the genre) and recommended it to me. At one point he came into the living room and found me with tears running down my face and said, 'I see you're at the part where xxxx dies" (won't put the name in and spoil it) In fact, just writing about it has made me want to go out and get this book, reread it and then let my son have it... :)
  • [quote=dora]I'll give my boy The Stand, then and will have a look at Pet Semetary. Not sure about the Exorcist, think I'll give that one a miss for him right now as I saw the film when I was around 14 and look how I've turned out.[/quote]

Definitely possessed :-)
  • I'm not gonna even chirp in here as I'll get all giddy and rattle on and end up completing a NanoWrimo in one post. No, can't help it, got to have my say......

The Stand, loved the original, but get the revised version, it;s The Stand that King wanted published but the Publishers said it was too long.

The Green Mile, only book that's made me do a proper big cry, we're talking big sobs must have looked like the ickle kid in The Neverending Story when Atreiu dies and he's reading it.

Different Seasons, that's a defoo to read, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body (Stand by Me was based on that novella) Apt Pupil.

One's I'd stay away from, Gerald's Game and Insomnia (I found it cured it.)

See I'm getting all giddy now. IT, has to be read, it was the first horror book I read and it made me want to write horror. It was page two and I couldn't believe what he had written, I thought, 'You can't write things like that can you? it's rude' turns out you can.

Cujo is a good one for a boring sunday, easy to read. I did like The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, non-horror but entertaining. As St. Force said, Under the Dome was good, but the ending let him down a lot, he does that a lot it seems, takes you on an incredible journey, Dreamcatcher, then gives you a bif of a damp firework at the end.

Gonna stop typing now...for now...
  • I’ve only read, On Writing and 11.22.63 both of which I enjoyed. I think the next one will be, The Colorado Kid.
  • I know it's for King only, but if you get your lad to like King, then one he will love is by the 'other' big name in horror, I'll whisper this part because Lily get's all flushed at even the mention of his name, Clive Barker, Weaveworld will leave him astounded as a starting point. "Hey Lily, keep walking, nothing to see here."
  • Thanks for all these ideas.

Will make a list and see what I can find at the library next time as we do have quite a big section for King in there.

Unfortunately this is what happened with my son said last time I showed him my book 'The Stand'

[quote=dora]Told my son I'd dig out The Stand for him and he keeps telling me to naff off, he'll find his own books thank you. Charmin!
    [/quote]

plus the fact he's just bought himself Halo 4 so is a of a non-reader at the moment, but I will keep on with it. TBH, my youngest who is ten, has been reading books for teens for the last year, so he may be onto the king stories sooner than his elder bro, lol
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]Definitely possessed [/quote]

Watch it you.
  • edited November 2012
    [quote=LeeH]I know it's for King only, but if you get your lad to like King, then one he will love is by the 'other' big name in horror, I'll whisper this part because Lily get's all flushed at even the mention of his name, Clive Barker, Weaveworld will leave him astounded as a starting point. "Hey Lily, keep walking, nothing to see here."
    [/quote]

Now, Clive Barker is a whole different ball game as I find his writing is much darker than King's. In fact, Weaveworld is, for me, the darker version of the Talisman - I just love anything that involves 'slippage' and alternative existence!

And I mean 'darker' in a more interesting way! The Books of Blood, The Damnation Game, etc, etc...
  • edited November 2012
    Clive Barker has made his mark on modern fiction by exposing all that is surreal and magical in the ordinary world --- and exploring the profound and overwhelming terror that results. With its volatile mix of the fantastical and the contemporary, the everyday and the otherworldly, Weaveworld is an epic work of dark fantasy and horror -- a tour de force from one of today's most forceful and imaginative artists.

Barker has achieved commercial success not only with his short fiction but also with his novels, which tend to be epic in scope and to blend elements of horror with those of high fantasy.

Barker is one of the more influential voices in horror cinema, having written and directed a number of films. His printed works include The Candle in the Cloud, Absolute Midnight, The Scarlet Gospels, and Black is the Devil's Rainbow: Tales of a Journeyman.

His films include Dread, Tortured Souls: Animae Damanatae, and Hellraiser.

After minor success with several plays such as "Frankenstein in Love," Barker vaulted onto the horror fiction scene with the publication of his short stories, "The Books of Blood." Later books such as "The Damnation Game," "Imajica," and "Everville" have further established his reputation as a Master of Horror.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell](I'm partial to a snowy film or book)[/quote]

Do you like Fargo, Tiny?

Have to say I'm not a King fan or a Barker fan... sorry! I think I must be someone who likes horror/dark stuff entwined into other genres like sci fi and fantasy rather than straight horror, eg Iain Banks.

I have read On Writing and enjoyed some of it - I really liked his description of writing a book as digging up a skeleton - the further you dig down, the more you find. I've been trying to dig down further into my writing ever since.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Do you like Fargo, Tiny?[/quote]

Never heard of it, Lou.

If it's snowy, I'm in.
  • Coen brothers film about bungled kidnapping set in constant snow. Very dark humour!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/
  • My favourtie stephen king is Rose Madder.