Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What colour pen do you write with?

edited August 2012 in - Writing Tales
This is a thought that has just occurred to me. If I have two or three different stories being planned I write them with different coloured pens so I can tell which is which. However if I am just brain storming ideas I must write in my TARDIS blue pen. (It’s not a Doctor who Pen, although I do have some, it just writes in the same shade of blue as the TARDIS.) If I am writing a first draft by hand then I must write in black. I simply refuse to write in other colours or the wrong colour.

Does anyone else do this or I am just being picky?

Comments

• No, not at all. I usually write in black. Notes on things I need to research later, such as a name of a place or somewhere gets written in red, research notebooks are usually written in green for ideas, purple for half baked theories and red for eureka moments. So no I don't think you are strange at all.
  • I've never worried about the ink colour - but having heard your thoughts I might go for it - great idea
  • I don't use a pen at all; just the keyboard. Text is in black, Calibri, but I highlight anything that needs improving in red.
  • Also depending on how eureka the thought was it gets written in capitals, underlined or highlighted. I really need a life.
  • I write in black or blue and have red and green to write important bits. But Cross have jsut stopped doing green ink cartridges for biros so I'm mad about that.
  • Usually I write in black, but if I can't find my usual pen then I'll grab any colour available, blue or red- or even a pencil.
  • I usually write in lipstick, especially on mirrors in public toilets.
  • [quote=St Force]I simply refuse to write in other colours or the wrong colour.
    [/quote]

Oh dear! You're far too young and talented to be so set in your ways, StF :)
    Preferred colours and pens - we all have those - but "simply refuse"?
    Me, I like black, which stems from the days when blue wouldn't show up in a photocopy (yes, I AM that old!) but I'll use blue or even red if nothing else is available.
  • I like black, with red for corrections and a highlighter for special changes. Mostly I write on my laptop, but same colour scheme appllies. Having said that, I do like a beautiful fountain pen and a dark bottle of black ink. I find it does wonders to my scrawlings to revert back to ink pen sometimes; though it doesn't happen so much these days and consequently, my scrawl just carries on deteriorating into oblivion.
  • [quote=Neph]I usually write in black[/quote]
    Me too, although I have a proper fountain pen filled with blue ink, which I love to use for signing letters.
  • RedRed
    edited August 2012
    I write via the keyboard. TNR or Arial only and always black. Only when I make notes do I use a pen. Black or blue only, or pencil. And I always edit with a red pen. No other colour will do, it has to be red.
  • Most of my story writing is typed on the laptop in either Time New Roman or Arial, but if I do write by hand I used blue or black, whichever is at hand at the time.
  • If I'm writing in a notebook, it's usually black. But since I have purple fountain pens, and now an aqua one to match from Paperchase, I use them.

But I prefer writing straight onto a keyboard on a size 12 TNR font on about 120% (Cos otherwise I can't see it) because I'm lazy writing it out twice. If it's a short I'd rather handwrite it then edit it, otherwise I'll type it. Late at night. Between 12am and 4am.