Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's In October 2012's WM/WN?

Comments

• Mine has now arrived :)
  • Mine has arrived too. This must be the latest daily post delivery we have had, at 3.50pm. The mail delivery is usually here anyhwere between about 11.00am and 1.30pm.
  • Been out and came back expecting to find my WM waiting for me on the mat, alas no. :(
  • Sigh. Still WM-less.
  • Mine came - mid afternoon which is unusual, but I think maybe the Bank Holiday put everything back a bit.
  • What does it look like? Is it good? Has it got lots of info, and the Competition diary, and pictures, and words, and everything? Go on, you can tell me. No-one else is listening.
  • Any TB in this issue?
  • [quote=Carol]Claudia, you'll find it in main newsagents- W H Smith, possibly Waterstones[/quote]

I know - I've been checking the Smiths I usually buy it from - only found Writers Forum which I bought - but which I haven't found much to interest me so far to be honest.
    I looked in Smiths at Waterloo Station today - still no joy. Maybe tomorrow... sigh...
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]What does it look like? Is it good? Has it got lots of info, and the Competition diary, and pictures, and words, and everything? Go on, you can tell me. No-one else is listening.[/quote]

It's completely blank. Nothing in it at all.
  • Hurrah! My copy just landed.
  • For anyone still waiting, be assured that this months edition is well worth the wait (easy to say when I've got mine)
    Had a quick scan, there is a Talkbacker in the shortlist for new subscribers story. Can't say any more...
  • Yup, spotted the name!
  • [quote=Liz]It's completely blank. Nothing in it at all. [/quote]
    That's good. Wouldn't want to mug the post lady for nothing.
    She stopped at our box today. I rushed out, opened it up, and there was a magazine in there! All wrapped up in plastic!
    It was MsLexia, and I felt very disappointed. (Sorry, MsL.)I hope there's something good in there.
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]I hope there's something good in there.
    [/quote]

"lmfao" Maybe even MORE stories about rape? How joyful.

Just been to Sainsbury and surprise surprise, they are stocking WMag again (plus their half price wine offer is on till 23rd September if you're interested)

Aha! I spotted the name in the Competition Guide too, on page 31 New Subscribers Comp shortlisted entrants. Well done to YOU shortlisted Talkbacker.

Also, on page 15 Erewash Writers' Group - 2 x free entry competitions mentioned in the comps listings.

Thank you Webbo and team. :)
  • Mine was waiting for me when I got in from the shopping expedition. Hurray.
  • [quote=dora]Also, on page 15 Erewash Writers' Group - 2 x free entry competitions mentioned in the comps listings.[/quote]
    Well, y'know, I didn't think anyone would find out about them if we didn't give them a plug. I've hardly seen any mentions anywhere else!
    Sorry my lack of response as I finalised the list gave you something to fret about as you set off on hols!
  • I'll be settling down to read the competition special this evening.
  • [quote=Webbo]Well, y'know, I didn't think anyone would find out about them if we didn't give them a plug[/quote]

:) Haha, indeed you did.

I have actually contacted mostly everyone who entered the summer comp, so I've made a start but I'm sure now Writing Mag/News is putting the info out there, it will help considerably.

Question about the comp issue: I see the close dates on comps you've displayed only go up to June. If your next comp issue is out in October 2013, does this mean all the inbetweeners (love that programme btw) comps ie July to Sept don't get a mention?

It must have taken a lot of time and work to compile but from the above comments, it looks like your subscribers are happy with it :) so well done to you lot at WM/WN.
  • Much to my surprise, and delight, I have a mention on Page 38 of the Competition Guide. I didn't get advance notice that I had been shortlisted in the short story category of the Swanwick Competition, so it was great way to start the day whilst reading WM over brekkie. :) I also noticed the other TB shortlisting in the New Subscriber comp - well done you!

Just attempting to catch up with other threads as the internet access in our new pad is rubbish at the moment - but broadband is, thankfully, only days away. A minor blip though after us running into problems with our buyer on Friday and not getting access to our new home as planned. Finally got in two days ago, so the stress levels have now returned to normal. Very grateful for a bed at my mum's with the wee one whilst the OH was offshore and I was technically homeless. Big thanks to my wonderful mum for babysitting to allow me to do some magic via my mobile phone and laptop, to access TB and judge the OWC entries on Sunday just past. :)

Hoping to return to normal soon (the internet connection, not me).
  • Congratulations Debby!

Having joked about the centrefold, there is actually one, on page 46. Sorry to sound prudish but I thought it was a bit inappropriate and unnecessary.
  • I got a mention. It's in Tracy Fells' article in the special competition magazine. She did ask if it would be OK to mention me but I'd forgotten all about it.
  • Congratulations PM.
  • Congratulations Debby and Phots Moll!
  • Silly question - but how do you all know each others 'real' names?
  • [quote=Webbo]Well, y'know, I didn't think anyone would find out about them if we didn't give them a plug[/quote] You missed my MASSIVE blog post then? ;-)
  • And I'm putting them in my weekend blog post, plus a plug for the competition special in WM.
  • [quote=SuzieW]Silly question - but how do you all know each others 'real' names?
    [/quote]

I've always known Phots Moll is Phots Moll in real life.
  • [quote=SuzieW]Silly question - but how do you all know each others 'real' names? [/quote] We don't, Suzie Warren ;-)
  • Sorry - couldn't resist that. Just click on our screen names and you'll find the real names for most of us - or at least the names we say are our real names.
  • And follow the links in any of our blog posts and you'll find out all our gory details- with pictures. :)
  • Excuse me, Carol. My details are not gory. I am a lady.
  • Congratulations PM!
  • Congratulations to all who feature. The mail doesn't come until midday. If anyone wants me, I'll be sitting under the postbox ready to snap the post lady's hand off, or to stick a foot out and trip her little yellow van up if she even thinks of driving by without stopping.
  • Congratulations to all published people. I have spotted one or two of you, and I too, have trouble with matching up some of the names to the T-B personas.
  • No mag here in Tenerife either!
    :(
  • Post lady stopped. I rushed out. No mag, just a demand for the Taxes Foncieres - a sort of council tax. Not playing any more.
  • Mine was finally waiting for me when we got back from Exeter last night.

Well done to Debby and Phots Moll!

Saw I was in the shortlist for the Horror Poetry on p. 27. Wah hah hah . . .
  • Well done TN, that's great.
  • Congratulations, Tiny Nell!
  • Well done TN, Debby and Phots Moll.
  • Well done Tiny!
  • Congratulations, TN!
  • [quote=snailmale]Well done TN, Debby and Phots Moll.[/quote]

Ditto, well done guys!
  • Well done, Tiny Nell.
  • [quote=SuzieW]Silly question - but how do you all know each others 'real' names? [/quote]

The solicitors' letters - threatening to sue, usually.
  • I've just seen another shortlisted name in the competition guide, but I don't think 'that person' is aware of it. My lips are sealed. See how I gave no clue as to whom it is I refer?
  • Which bit of the competition guide?
  • P.31 New Subscribers short story.
  • [quote=SuzieW]- but how do you all know each others 'real' names?[/quote]

You mean there are people here using false identities?
  • :D

I suppose, SusieW, we get to know each other over time. Some of us meet at conferences too. I have to confess, when I see the names in WM, I can't often match them up with their TB 'handle', and some TBers don't put their names on their Accounts, so it is hard to know.