Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thinking of self publishing an ebook?

edited September 2012 in - Resources
You know me - shy, quiet, unassuming ... er well maybe not. Anyway, I have written some nice simple instructions for self publishing an ebook on Amazon. http://patsy-collins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/how-to-publish-ebook-on-amazon.html

I've also written a fabulous book which I've self published on Amazon and which I'm trying to publicise. ;-) These two things are not coincidental, so if you like my blog post, I'd like you to share it! Thanks muchly.

Comments

• Thanks, Patsy. I had a read of your advice on your blog and it was very useful. I'm miles away from even thinking about self-publishing my WIP, having written only 35,000 words so far, but I am really going to consider it in the future. Your blog was really useful. For anyone who is interested, I also follow 'bubblecow' on twitter and facebook. They are a wonderful resource full of advide and helpful tricky tips for writers. Well worth a look too. They give lots of advice on writing, marketing and publishing. You might be able to find some useful tips for marketing your ebook, Patsy.
  • Thanks, Cath. I'll take a look.
  • Very useful, Patsy - thanks for setting it all out so clearly.

This is something I keep meaning to do with my own collection, so the kick up the backside is [ouch] appreciated.
  • Excellent article PM. Informative and very amusing too :-)

Can I add something to do with royalties? Almost immediately after I wrote my article on this for Writing Magazine last year, Amazon changed the details authors have to provide in order to receive royalty payments direct into their bank accounts. I've had loads of enquiries about it so thought TBers (and your blog readers) might want some clarification:

Instead of a bank account number and sort code, you are asked for an IBAN and a BIC. IBAN is International Bank Account Number and BIC is Bank Identifier Code. These may be on your bank statement if you get printed versions, if not you will need to contact your bank. My bank was a bit grumpy about it but they gave them to me in the end.

You can, of course opt to receive payment by cheque but you have to wait until the royalties have reached £100, whereas by direct payment it's £10 and over, paid quarterly.

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks, Lily.

Yes, I had to give the details you mention. I didn't think much of it as I have had supplied the same for several overseas magazines so it wasn't unexpected. I remember that when I first needed them I emailed my bank to ask (not even being entirely sure what I wanted) and they emailed the answers the next day. If a bank is being grumpy about giving you info to have money paid in then maybe you need a new bank!
  • :-)

Yes, I keep saying that when I've won the lottery and can clear my overdraft I can't wait to stick two fingers up and say "See this? You're not having it - I'm taking it to an ethical bank so stuff you!" (Of course I never would say that because a) I'm too polite and b) it's not going to happen).