Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Times 'Ghost Story' comp.

edited October 2012 in - Resources
Jenny thought some of you might be interested in this one:

The Times is running a 50-word ghost story competition which is open to people living in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

The winner gets £200 worth of books chosen by Random House and Profile, plus a signed set of Susan Hill's ghost stories. Three
runners-up will win signed copies of her ghost stories.

The address for entries is: [email protected] with Ghost Story in the subject line. Name, address and telephone number required. No
email attachments.

Entries must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 23rd October. Winners will be notified by 29th October and their names printed in The Times on 27th October.

Only one entry per person.

Full terms and conditions on: thetimes.co.uk/competitions

Comments

• Okay folks,your input,please. I am entering, and happy with my story......but! The ghost is the narrator, and was written in the past tense. I then thought it would have more impact if written in the present tense. Have hard copy, and now I'm not so sure after reading each version umpteen times. Maybe it doesn't matter. What do you thinkl?
  • edited October 2012
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/competitions/article3565299.ece

and for t&c's

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/competitions/article3565481.ece

The winner receives £200-worth of books chosen by Random House and Profile, plus a signed set of Susan Hill’s ghost stories. The three runners-up will each receive a set of signed copies of Susan Hill’s ghost stories.
  • Toothlight, give it a few hours away from it, then go back to it.
  • @Carol. I'm in no hurry, but would appreciate the input from fellow TB's
  • toothlight - I would ask when your story is set? Are you after a particular effect by using the present tense?
  • The story is set in WW2, but my 'concern' about tense is whether there is a danger of one tense giving the game away over the other. I am veering towards the past tense, but......
  • Toothlight, it's impossible for us to advise without being able to read both versions. And that's not a good idea when it's a comp entry. Sorry!
  • I've just finished my entry. At least it doesn't take long to write!
  • edited October 2012
    [quote=Island Girl]The winner gets £200 worth of books chosen by Random House and Profile, plus a signed set of Susan Hill's ghost stories. Three
    runners-up will win signed copies of her ghost stories.[/quote]
    [quote=Carol]The winner receives £200-worth of books chosen by Random House and Profile, plus a signed set of Susan Hill’s ghost stories. The three runners-up will each receive a set of signed copies of Susan Hill’s ghost stories.[/quote]

Just wondering why you repeated IG's post?

Good luck all who enter - only UK residents - seems a shame.
  • Probably got left in by error Claudia when I pasted the direct links.
  • Thanks for your comments folks. I've tweaked the words, and decided on present tense. Sending it tomorrow.
  • [quote=toothlight]would appreciate the input from fellow TB's[/quote]
    Oh. As usual I'm too late to the party. I was going to suggest you email both copies to me so I could tell you which one appealed to me personally, TL, as I'm ineligible to enter - thems da downsides to living way down here in Australia.
    Anyhoo, I see now that you've opted for a version without assistance so I'll just wish you the best of luck.

That goes for anyone else who enters, too. Good luck, all. x
  • It's gone, on a wing and a prayer!
  • Good luck.
  • Good luck, Toothlight. Only just seen this, but I'd have suggested going with present.

Just sent mine in. Not sure it really is a ghost story, but then I didn't think the one in the example was either, so what do I know?
  • Good luck PM.
  • [quote=Phots Moll]Not sure it really is a ghost story, but then I didn't think the one in the example was either, so what do I know?[/quote]

Probably as much if not more, than Erica Wagner if her example is anything to go by ! What's with the colons ? Looks to me like she just put them there to show she's aware of them. Not really used in the correct context, are they ? Or maybe it's just me being picky.

Good luck toothlight and everyone who enters.
    I'll probably have a go. Shame not to when it's only 50 words ! :)
  • [quote=lexia]Shame not to when it's only 50 words ![/quote] Yes, that's what I thought. Also, if they get lots of entries they're more likely to run more competitions.

Good luck with your entry too. I like to see people I 'know' listed as winners.
  • What I'm struggling with is choosing the content/subject to use. I have way too many stories of ghostly/creepy experiences from my own family to pick from. Hmm... might do one for each of them and see which turns out best.
  • I agree with your comments about the entry from Erica Wagner. I cannot see how The Times could give her story as an example of a 'ghost' story. One only has to look at the Oxford English Dictionary: ' 1. an apparition of a dead person which is believed to appear to the living.' Mine DOES have a ghost!
  • Precisely, toothlight.
    I think that the character in Erica Wagner's 'story' had trapped a fly inside the glass ... ...
  • Never thought of that.It must be the half fly in that horror movie which still has some human in it.
  • 'The Fly', I think it's called.
  • [quote=Carol]'The Fly', I think it's called.[/quote]

So it is ! :)
  • [quote=toothlight]The ghost is the narrator[/quote]

Clever.

Good luck toothlight.

I have a story. Our lovely writing tutor told us about this competition this evening in class. My greatest motivation is the thought of winning Susan Hill's signed books. I absolutely would love those.

My story isn't ready yet and I shall polish it over the next few days.
  • You have to trust your computer, because there is no automatic reply to say your story reached The Times, unlike-say- a letter to the press.
  • [quote=Carol]'The Fly', I think it's called.[/quote]

There are two versions. The 1958 film starring Vincent Price and the 1986 one with Jeff Goldblum. I prefer the original. I remember it being shown on television one night with a cringeworthy introduction. The introducer remarked on the film being based in France while the police are dressed like New York cops. The first thing you see in the film is a sign with the word Montreal on it!
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]1986 one with Jeff Goldblum[/quote]

Totally brill. Never forgotten it.
  • My 50 word ghost story is almost ready. It's quite shiny. I'll check it over again tomorrow and see if I want to tinker with it any more.
  • *enters thread wearing dark shades against pbw's shiny story*

Mine is needing to lose 3 words. I'll sleep on it ...
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Totally brill. Never forgotten it.[/quote] But have you seen the original? Much better in my opinion.
  • Have you seen the 250 word comp in Writing Magazine, deadline Nov 2nd? No great prize, just a book, but I've just finished mine. The remit is a story, or part of one, about someone who adopts a stray cat.....which one could be a ghost???
  • [quote=lexia]*enters thread wearing dark shades against pbw's shiny story*
    Mine is needing to lose 3 words. I'll sleep on it ... [/quote]
    Woooh! (to quote Granny in MULAN). I know the problem about shedding words. The last lb - I mean word - is always the hardest.

[quote=Onlinegenie]But have you seen the original? Much better in my opinion. [/quote]

I HAVE, olg, and I respect your admiration of it hugely. Indeed I consider it a competent piece of cinematography but Jeff Goldblum is such a dirty great glossy bluebottle that he buzzes way up there beyond the competition, imho. He is brilliantly polaroidesqe!
  • I've entered mine, although the thought of Susan Hill's books as a prize is off putting. Still, it's good to use it to hone the flash fiction skills.
  • Just polishing mine up today, then entering!
  • I've had a go at this. I had a dilemma about the order in which to put events, and it took hours to get rid of the 51st word, but it's on its way now.

For what it's worth, I liked Erica's story. I interpret it to mean that when the narrator is trying to listen to the arguing couple, she actually hears the ghost of somebody trapped between her room and her neighbours' - i.e. some poor unfortunate who died after being walled up. I thought it was a clever idea, but I don't think the word 'buzzing' was a good choice.
  • [quote=danfango]it took hours to get rid of the 51st word[/quote]

Love it!

I sometimes wish after doing these flash fiction things that if I could just pay as much attention to the text of my novels they might actually get somewhere!
  • [quote=danfango]For what it's worth, I liked Erica's story. I interpret it to mean that when the narrator is trying to listen to the arguing couple, she actually hears the ghost of somebody trapped between her room and her neighbours' - i.e. some poor unfortunate who died after being walled up. I thought it was a clever idea, but I don't think the word 'buzzing' was a good choice.[/quote]

I didn't see that at all, Dan!!! That is clever - they'd been buried in the wall. I thought it was a teeny weeny ghost in the glass :) :) :) It made me think of that film, The Incredible Shrinking Man - do you remember it?
  • [quote=Red]although the thought of Susan Hill's books as a prize is off putting[/quote]

:)
  • I thought that the voice she heard was that of ghost, but have to admit I hadn't thought of the ghost being buried in the wall. Worthy of a lengthier story!
  • Have to disagree, folks. Erica's story is NOT a ghost story, for the reason I gave, viz, Oxford English Dictionary defintition. It IS a supernatural story, but that was not the remit. A 'ghost' has to be VISIBLE. I am not commenting about the story itself, and agree it was clever, but it should not have been posted as an example. I remember the Munchbunch competition arguments when they allowed finalists to depict the cow as a HE. I'm all for author's licence, but.....
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost

"In traditional belief and fiction, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living."

I believe the words "or other manifestation" cover this story. If we were to insist that a ghost be visible that would mean poltergeists weren't ghosts.
  • This is a ghost story

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/24/

I first read it when I was 10 years old and have been 'haunted by it' ever since. I have read it a various ages and it still gives me the rising -hair- on -the- back -of -the -neck feeling !
    (this is probably why I am not keen on the Erica Wagner piece)
  • [quote=toothlight]A 'ghost' has to be VISIBLE[/quote]

Oh! I always thought AUDITORY was sufficient, but I guess you learn something every day. :)
  • [quote=danfango]it took hours to get rid of the 51st word[/quote]

Stubborn little blighter, isn't it?

I finally got rid of mine and I may well get the story off today. I'm sick of the sight of it now (probably a sign).

I should LOVE to win Susan Hill's books. :)
  • Good luck to all TB's who enter.
  • Oh well, my ghost can't be seen, toothlight, but there is evidence that it's there!

Yes, having just fifty words really makes you think, doesn't it?!
  • I thought the example story was quite good, but considered it supernatural rather than a ghost story. I thought the glass was a living thing, rather than a dead person.
  • My ghost isn't seen either...
  • Hey folks! Who am I to judge what is a ghost story? As we all know (or should) every story is subjective, and maybe the judge gave Erica's story as an example of what he/she is looking for.In that case........ I haven't a cat in hell's chance!!!!