Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

motivation - writing group

I am looking for an informal writing group, or taught group somewhere in Central or South London ( I live in Croydon, work at London Bridge) I am very limited for time - having two toddlers and working full-time. I am finding it very hard to get much writing done, especially as it gets colder in the mornings. In the summer I can get up at 5 and do an hour's work before I have to get girls ready for nursery, and me for work, but can't seem to get out of bed this early in winter.
Does anyone know of a good group I could join where I would at least be forced to finish something every week. A lot of the groups I've seen are on quite late in the evening which is a bit much for me. I did a course at the Mary Ward Centre in Holborn a few years back which was excellent. Will try there again if nothing else, but would prefer a more informal group of writers just discussing work and getting on with the writing for each week.
Doesn't have to be a weekly group. Fortnightly or monthly would be OK. Would prefer a face-to-face group over online, as I don't get out much either at the moment, although if anyone has a good online recommendation I'd also be grateful.
Thanks, in advance,
Rob Yaxley

Comments

• There's a list of writing groups here - can't guarantee it'll help though! http://www.nawg.co.uk/writing-groups/
  • Can't help with the writing group but I did a couple of courses at City Lit which were helpful. I've also done some at Mary Ward (love their canteen). After the course a few of us got together to meet up once a month (on Sunday afternoon) to critique each others writing. There were eight of us to begin with but sadly most dropped out. I still keep in touch with a couple of writers from there but no meetings. :-(
    If you do a course do try to keep in touch with the other students as these can help with motivation.
    All the best.
  • edited November 2012
    I am marvelling here, at you rising at 5am to write despite having young children and working full-time. Phew. do you ever have time to breath? How would you attend a day time group if you work full-time though?

Sorry I can't help with the writing group as I don't live in your area but if it's motivation you need, then you may like to look at

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

We've just finished running two free entry competitions and are planning several more for 2013, some at free entry and others with a fee involved. Aiming to write for competitions is one way to motivate yourself to write, in order to meet the deadlines.

You can find details of a short story course there too or whisper your email address if you want me to email you with details.

Trying to think of motivational techniques for you - have you tried the six monthly challenge that was on TB some time ago?

edited to say - have searched and brought the thread back up for you.
  • Good luck finding a group, Robert. But don't forget, Talkback can be very motivating too so even if you don't get time to go to a writer's group, you'll find your output and motivation increases just by being in contact with other writers here - I know mine has.
  • https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writers-Groups/

You can search by genre, or area.