Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short story into novel

Does anyone know if there are any legal issues if you publish a short story, then develop the story into a full length novel and resubmit it? If the short story is either a chapter of the novel, or a basis does the novel still count as unpublished?

Comments

• No problems, as many short stories have been developed into novels. In my view they are two different aspects of writing.
  • Stephen King 's Dark Tower series started life as novellas published in a magazine - The Gunslinger novella was pretty much the first chapter of the now novel version - so I don't think there's any problems on this type of thing. Of course I can't be sure.
  • I expect it will be so different there won't be any issue. Tell your publisher if you get offered a contact, but also check you still have the right of the short story if it's going to form a chapter.
  • The novel will be very different in to your short story, even though they share a common link, because there will be more going on to fill a full length novel, so they will differ.

The key here, however, is that you should tell your editor/publisher that the novel is an adaption of the short story. That goes for anyone submitting stuff - always be up front with editors. The same is also true when flash fictions become short stories etc. Depending on publications, previously submitted work sometimes has to change. On many occasions I have had to change lengths of stories to fit certain publications, or that some have to be re-written especially because it's for the US market, for instance.

Just be up front, editors appreciate it far more.