Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Use of the word "spastically"

edited March 2013 in - Writing Problems
Some feedback on my zombie story has suggested that the word "spastically" could be offensive. I can see the possibility of this, but in the context of the story it's probably the most appropriate word to describe the awkward movement of zombies.

Do you think it's a word I should avoid in case it is offensive? I'd like to get some other perspectives before deciding whether to change it.

Comments

• I would avoid it but am struggling to think of an alternative. If I think of one I'll let you know.
  • Back in the 1960s when I was at school, the word "spastic" was in common use to describe what we now know as a person with Downs Syndrome. Of course, school kids would sometimes get told off for using the word as a derogatory term for someone who didn't seem to 'get' something. Later, it became an unpopular term, and then the PC brigade frowned on it altogether as offensive.
    However, I then had an experience when I went for my Reader training in 1993-95 (that is to train to be a Reader, or Lay Reader in the Church of England) when we discovered one of the trainees in the second year was a lady in a wheel chair who was a Downs Syndrome sufferer. The lady - who was called Jean - surprised us all - and indeed shocked some - when she told us in introductions, "My name is Jean, and I am a spastic." She then proceeded to tell us that she didn't want any special favours because of her condition, and she definitely did not want to be referred to as having "Downs Syndrome". She told us we should refer to her as a spastic, as she said "Because that is what I am." and that she definitely would not be offended. It took us a while to get used to the idea, and other people who we met along the way were shocked when they heard us use the word. Since I left Derbyshire, and lost contact with Jean, I have very rarely heard the term used at all.
  • I think most people will find it 'unsuitable' as they will envision the 'non-PC usage. Perhaps you could describe in a sentence rather than just using the single word... maybe jerky, sluggish, stiff, er *tries to think of zombies* show how they drag their feet maybe?

Some people will probably instantly think you are saying people with downs syndrome are (like) zombies.
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2013
    Spastic was used as a term to describe not people with Down's Syndrome (although it may have been done in ignorance) but to describe people with a medical condition that was governed by spasticity in their limbs - ie those with cerebral palsy and conditions like that. it has been used so much pejoratively that I would definitely NOT use it.
  • edited March 2013
    When I was at school in the 80s, I never heard "spastic" used in relation to somebody with Down's Syndrome. It was more to do with cerebral palsy, and was definitely used as a term of abuse, but nearly always with regard to physical aspects - "You throw like a spastic!" etc.

We had a visit from a woman with cerebral palsy who was brilliant, clearly quite badly affected by the condition but hugely intelligent and witty - I remember her telling us about learning to drive and all the challenges that brought with it. Her talk did the trick - I don't think I heard the word "spastic" used as an insult after that.

There are still negative connotations with the word, though, which is why the Spastics Society changed its name to Scope. It might be better to avoid it if you can.

I wonder if there's a more appropriate word - "spastic" shares its root with "spasm", and refers to sudden, jerky movements (brought about by the muscles suddenly contracting). Zombies - traditionally at least - tend to have a looser, shambling way of getting around.
  • I agree, Liz. Even notwithstanding the example I quoted, I personally would never use the term, as there are plenty of other suitable words to use.
  • 'Spastic' is still used now as a term of abuse, by some, so I would avoid it.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I agree, Liz. Even notwithstanding the example I quoted, I personally would never use the term, as there are plenty of other suitable words to use. [/quote]

Thanks for all the responses. I will change the word, perhaps "stiffly" might work as a replacement. In the story my use of the word "spastically" was only meant as a description of the movements, but I guess the negative connotations of the word could be taken the wrong way by readers.
  • I have to admit, I wouldn't use it. Glad everyone could help, it can be tricky these things!
  • edited March 2013
    Like danfango, I always thought Zombies moved in a more lumbering, shuffling way. But if you want to have them making the random moves as exhibited in limb spasticity, you could always opt for jerky or spasmodic. Stiffly is not describing the same type of movement as spasticity. (I think spasmodic might actually be the word to describe spastic movement rather than spastically.)
  • Yes, like Libby, the first word that came into my mind as an alternative was 'spasmodically'.
  • But wouldn't a general reader reception of "spasmodically" be "intermittently"? Interesting question though Dene. The "true" meaning of spastic is no longer an option for us if even people who know that meaning have a stumbling block of "did he mean this or THAT?"
  • [quote=Libby]Like danfango, I always thought Zombies moved in a more lumbering, shuffling way.[/quote]

The Romero zombies do, but there's a reason in my story why their movements are more jerky.
  • Don't use it - when I was at school it was an abusive word for anyone with a disability. Spasmodic, convulsive
  • edited March 2013
    convulsively?
    What about changing the verb instead? Following Libby's suggestion, I like the idea of "the zombies jerked across the room", although I'm sure ruder minds will find a problem with that too!

[quote=Betsie]Spasmodic, convulsive[/quote]
    That's convulsively out then.
  • I don't really know much about zombies. When I conjure up an image, I don't 'see' them shuffling. I see them more with stiff, contorted limbs randomly jerking in sudden movements, like in the Thriller video. I can't think of an alternative verb to what's already been suggested.
  • Thinking about it myself, if I were describing the movement of 'zombies' - although I have never included them in my stories - I think I would probably say that they 'lurched' across the room, or wherever they were moving to...
  • Yes, John, 'lurched'.

And 'staggered'?
  • Lumber- to move heavily or clumsily...
  • Lumber's good.
  • [quote=Webbo]I like the idea of "the zombies jerked across the room", although I'm sure ruder minds will find a problem with that too![/quote]

Surely not ! ?

How about vacuously ? I always imagine zombies as being none too sharp, intellectually.
  • Yes indeed, Nell. Staggered sounds good too. I like Lurched though.
  • Bit embarrassing .. I meant to write Cerebral Palsy not Downs Syndrome but I was in two minds at work while replying to that :/
  • [quote=Webbo]although I'm sure ruder minds will find a problem with that too![/quote]

I've had no problem whatsover making myself a visual of a zombie jerking in such a manner :)
  • I agree that ‘spastically’ is a no, no: it has been too long used in a derogatory way.
    When I’m trying to find the ‘right’ word, I scribble down anything and everything I can think of. I find this a good way of freeing my mind from the first, obvious choices.
    So, I took the word ‘spasmodic’ and did a sort of stream of consciousness: might help you find your ‘right’ word, denebebbo:

fractured
    broken
    ripped
    ragged
    disconnected
    incoherent
    interrupted
    unpredictable
    variable
    jolted
    snatched
    fitful
    random
    unstable
    erratic
    totter
    teeter
    stagger
    tack
    tempo
    tangoing
    kinetic
    unrest
    unquiet
    shift
    pluck
  • Whoa! That's a lot of streaming of your consciousness there, Claudia. Well done.
    Best of luck with your jerking zombies, DB.
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]in the context of the story[/quote]
    This is a dilemma that strains my patience.
    When a word, or phrase, is appropriate to the use being applied; it should be accepted in that context.

The politically correct brigade massacre free expression, by applying censorship when it is not necessary.
    Invariably; perceived insults ricochet off shoulders of truly identified recipients. [quote=JohnWho63]She told us we should refer to her as a spastic, as she said "Because that is what I am." and that she definitely would not be offended.[/quote] {I wonder if this lady might have been the Jean Garwood who participated in the 1952 formation of The National Spastic Society.}
    The infant school of my five to eleven years education included a wheelchair bound boy who later progressed to caliper encased legs. He was hero, to all in our class and formed centre of attention for all manner of fantastical games. It was so much easier to have a wheeled vehicle for wagon train, lorry and any other fantasy requiring perambulation.
    In those decades, "spastic" was used as much a rebuke of affection as "nincompoop", "twerp" etc.
    It is worth noting that [quote=Urban Dictionary] A Scope is a term used to describe a person who was once referred to as a spastic.[/quote]

It's probably timely to remind younger Talkbackers, plus those who may have forgotten, that I have a nephew born with cerebral palsy. His years of surmounting the hindrance have taken the family through many experiences that prove success outweighs any claim "do-gooders" may believe benefits their interference.
    As skin colour merely assists differentiation, physical and mental ability is also another form of individualism.
    Humans with mental or physical impairment create their lives in a manner that shames those too idle to raise healthy backside from indulgent lethargy.

[quote= DeneBebbo]I'd like to get some other perspectives before deciding whether to change it. [/quote]
    Apology for the rant.
    The mental image of zombie movement, to me, reflects gesticulations of a marionette on the strings of an apprentice puppeteer.
  • [quote=Jan]{I wonder if this lady might have been the Jean Garwood who participated in the 1952 formation of The National Spastic Society.}[/quote]

No, this lady was only in her 30s when we met her in 1994, and her surname was different.
  • [quote=Jan]When a word, or phrase, is appropriate to the use being applied; it should be accepted in that context.

The politically correct brigade massacre free expression, by applying censorship when it is not necessary.[/quote]

I agree. Take for example "the N word". It's simply the Latin word for black with an extra g and a slight change in pronunciation. No reason why it should cause offence, but it does so I don't use it.

A writer aiming to have his or her work published when faced with a question like this should ask "will a publisher accept this word"? In the case of spastically I suspect the answer is almost certainly no, so my advice would be to use a different word.
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]I agree. Take for example "the N word". It's simply the Latin word for black with an extra g and a slight change in pronunciation. No reason why it should cause offence, but it does so I don't use it.[/quote]

I agree, and I don't use it either. In regard to the reference to 'black' though, something happened a while ago when I was going home on the bus from Exeter City centre. I got talking with a man, a visitor to the area who apparently came from the Manchester area. When we passed a street sign for "Blackboy Road" which is one of Exeter's older streets, the man referred to the street name and said, "If that was in Manchester, the foreigners would probably make us change that."
  • edited March 2013
    [quote=Onlinegenie]I agree. Take for example "the N word". It's simply the Latin word for black with an extra g and a slight change in pronunciation. No reason why it should cause offence, but it does so I don't use it.[/quote]

If it's the N word I think you're referring to, it is apparently acceptable for a black person to use it, but the offence comes if a white person uses it (for obvious reasons). Many years ago I read a book called "Nigger at Eton", and even though it was written by a black guy I wonder if a publisher would dare use such a title these days.
  • Yes, DeneBebbo, that's the word.

I read a lot of school stories written by Frank Richards (creator of Billy Bunter) in which there's an Indian character. He is frequently referred to as a nigger. Apart from the inaccuracy, I'm sure that's one of the reasons those stories are no longer in print. That and the fact that making fun of an obese schoolboy would not be acceptable these days.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]"If that was in Manchester, the foreigners would probably make us change that."[/quote]

They wouldn't. We have a Blackboy Hill and Whiteladies Road in Bristol - left over from the slave trade. It's a reminder of our past - getting rid of the names would not help with getting rid of what was carried out, and having them there is a permanent rebuke.

In fact many white Bristolian children were also sold into the slave trade. Children from all over were sold by their British parents, a fact that doesn't seem talked of much.
  • [quote=Liz]
    They wouldn't. We have a Blackboy Hill and Whiteladies Road in Bristol - left over from the slave trade. It's a reminder of our past - getting rid of the names would not help with getting rid of what was carried out, and having them there is a permanent rebuke.[/quote]

I take it you mean the street names are a permanent rebuke and not the state of the streets themselves?!
  • [quote=Liz]JohnWho63 wrote: "If that was in Manchester, the foreigners would probably make us change that."

They wouldn't. We have a Blackboy Hill and Whiteladies Road in Bristol - left over from the slave trade. It's a reminder of our past...[/quote]

I agree. I think the man I spoke to was very much a member of the PC brigade, and simply saw the name "Blackboy" as offensive without thinking of its past.
  • [quote=Liz]In fact many white Bristolian children were also sold into the slave trade.[/quote]

I remember being in a museum in Hull (waiting for a ferry) where there was reference to white people from Hull being taken to Africa as slaves, so it was definitely a two-way process.

[quote=JohnWho63]I think the man I spoke to was very much a member of the PC brigade, and simply saw the name "Blackboy" as offensive without thinking of its past.[/quote]

From his reference to "the foreigners" I guessed the exact opposite!
  • Blackboy is often a reference to Charles II whose mother gave him the nickname as he was swarthy of complexion. Roads with the name often have (or had) a pub or inn called the Black Boy which refered to this and I think this applies to the Exeter example from what I can find online. To rename the street could in fact be considered anti-royalist.
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]I remember being in a museum in Hull (waiting for a ferry) [/quote] You weren't lost then?

[quote=Wordy]a pub or inn called the Black Boy which refered[/quote]
    Amusing that you should mention that. There is (in Hull) a pub by the name of Ye Olde Black Boy on High street, just a stones throw away from the House of William Wilberforce. (a major player in the abolishment of the slave trade)
    Hull was also known to have closed it's gates to King Charles I - the gate in question within walking distance of both aforementioned pub and house.

The pub does not however show an image of the King, it depicts one of the many souls sold in trade. An excellent place for a hand pulled pint, the place dates back to 16th Century.
    The House in question now serves as museum - charting the history of the MP and his involvement in anti slave trade law. A perfect distraction for folk waiting on ferries.
  • Sorry to interrupt the lively discussion.

No, DB, I definitely wouldn't use 'spastically' - it would distract the reader from immersion in your story as they think "What possessed the author to use that?" Anyone connected with schools knows how cuttingly it is intended, acting in the same way as 'gay' when applied to someone. The users of these jibes reveal how contemptuous they are towards spastics and gays, even in situations where they are trying to be funny.
    By now I'm sure you've got round using it, but it's worth bearing in mind that if you are using an adverb, you are telling instead of showing. You could say what the zombies are doing, which I imagine would appeal more to the senses of the reader.
  • [quote=Dwight]By now I'm sure you've got round using it, but it's worth bearing in mind that if you are using an adverb, you are telling instead of showing.[/quote]

That's true. After seeing various suggestions on this thread I chose the verb "staggered".
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]That's true. After seeing various suggestions on this thread I chose the verb "staggered".[/quote]

Ooh, I won! :D
  • [quote=SilverLinings]Amusing that you should mention that. There is (in Hull) a pub by the name of Ye Olde Black Boy on High street, just a stones throw away from the House of William Wilberforce. (a major player in the abolishment of the slave trade)[/quote]

That sounds like the place. No pub for me though - I always have the job of driving on to and off the ferry.