Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Exclamation mark after words ending with "l" or "ll"

edited March 2013 in - Writing Problems
I've found that an exclamation mark after words ending with "l" or "ll" can be hard to read. In a story I'm working on I tried this:

"What the hell!"

because it was hard to see the "!" I put a space before it instead:

"What the hell !"

Is it wrong to use a space like this?

Comments

• I think it all depends on the font used.

A space looks more jarring to me.
  • I think the correct example looks fine, DB.

I agree with b_r. To leave a space might make the writing look like the work of an amateur.
  • Just to be controversial, isn't "What the hell" a question, in which case it should be a question mark?
  • edited March 2013
    Not if you say, 'My boss will be mad at me if I leave early, but I don't care. What the hell! I'm off.'

Also, when it is a question, it's rhetorical. Does someone who exclaims, 'What the hell?' expect an answer?

I think it's used more as an expression of shock so it can get away with an exclamation mark, though I see your point, OLG (as I'm OCD about punctuation usually!!).

(Edited to add final full stop)
  • I had the same problem last night, reading an excerpt on a website. I had to copy and paste the text into Word and enlarge it to check...!
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]Just to be controversial, isn't "What the hell" a question, in which case it should be a question mark?[/quote]

At this point in the story it's more an exclamation rather than a question.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I think the correct example looks fine, DB.

I agree with b_r. To leave a space might make the writing look like the work of an amateur. [/quote]

Thanks. Have removed the space.
  • No space, DB - you have to be grammatically correct, no matter how awkward it looks on paper.
    'What the hell?' has an upward inflection, and is a question. 'Oh, what the hell' has a downward inflection and is a throwaway comment. You could add an exclamation mark, if it's the prelude to something dramatic. 'What the hell! Let's go for it!'
  • Leaving a space adds to your word count!
  • It doesn't; it adds to the character count. I think it's best to avoid exclamation marks if at all possible.
  • Yes, kado, but there are times when an exclamation mark is appropriate. At the end of an exclamation for example! ;-)

Nb - my use of an exclamation mark at the end of the preceding sentence wasn't a deliberate illustration - it just seemed right.
  • Leave a space and editors will instantly recognise someone who doesn't pay enough attention to grammar. It's harsh, but it is a fact of writing life. It screams amateur at your potential editor or publisher. Where grammar is concerned, writers should stick to the rules to increase their chances of publication - presentation speaks volumes.
  • [quote=neil]Leaving a space adds to your word count![/quote]

[quote=kado]It doesn't; it adds to the character count.[/quote]

Quiet! = one word. Quiet ! = two words. Try it.
  • [quote=neil]Quiet! = one word. Quiet ! = two words. Try it.[/quote]

He's right, you know!