Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ryedale Book Festival 2013 competitions now open

edited June 2013 in - Resources
Hi all.

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm once again judging the Poetry category in this year's Ryedale Book Festival competitions, which are once again open for business. Full details and entry forms can be downloaded from the festival website: http://www.ryedalebookfestival.com.

The Poetry category is open to poets resident in Yorkshire, the Humber and Teesside. Poems on any theme up to 40 lines are welcome, at £2 per entry. Prizes are £75, £50 and a special "Ryedale Prize" for the best entry from Ryedale District. There's also a free-to-enter category for Young Writers (age 9-16), up to 3 entries, 30 lines maximum. Closing dates are 31st August for adults, 14th September for young writers.

Our Short Story competition this year is open to writers across the UK. The theme is "Regeneration". Entries should be 2000-3000 words, at £2 per entry. There's a single prize of £100 and the winner also gets their work read by a professional actor at "Tea and a Tale" in Malton, the day after the Festival.

Although we've started from small beginnings we got a really good postbag of entries last year and I'm hoping that this year's competitions will be even more successful. It'd be good to see a few Talkbackers' names on the winners' list!

Comments

• If I'm right in thinking that Ryedale started out as the Malton Literature Festival in 2010 (at which point the poetry was open UK-wide), I can lay claim to a 2nd prize and runner up :-)