Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My new book cover design website

edited July 2013 in - Resources
After much fiddling around and achieving little, I've finally got together a website to showcase my pre-made and custom book covers in the hope of one day being able to earn enough from designing to be able to work from home. I was going to call it KWSDesign, but found that there is already a company of that name. So I've called it "Magic Owl Design". You can find it here - http://magicowldesign.weebly.com/ I still need to add a lot of covers if I want to build up traffic, but it's a start.

Comments

• Well done on choosing the name, Nena! Best of luck with it all.
  • Looks good, Nena. Hope you have lots of success.
  • I read that as Magi cowl design - love the name though! Hope it works!
  • Superb design, Nena. Professional. All the best of luck with it.
  • Yes, I second, third and fourth that!

Love 'magic owl'.

When will you be able to put your newest covers on that you showed us?
  • Looking good - best of luck with it.
  • Thanks everyone.

[quote=Liz]I read that as Magi cowl design - love the name though! Hope it works![/quote]

My son wanted to know why I'd called it "Magic Cow."

[quote=Tiny Nell]When will you be able to put your newest covers on that you showed us?[/quote]

They're on there already, in a slideshow on the 'Custom Covers' page.
  • Ah, I was looking for them across the top!
  • That's a nice-looking website, Nena. I hope it brings you lots of work.
  • It looks lovely, Nena - classy with a tough of magic!

One thing - my eyesight isn't great and I found the grey-on-black tabs difficult to read.
    They were fine once they turned white but I thought I'd mention it.
  • Yes, I had to hover my mouse on the tabs to read them properly.
    But it's good, easy to navigate. :)
  • I can't find a way to make the tabs a different colour or strength. The whole page was like that to start with. I'll keep trying! Thanks for letting me know it bothered you, too. :)
  • White on black is always hard to read, and grey on black is worse... I'm not that au fait with Weebly, although I do have a blog on there - I did manage to change my background colour, but maybe you want it black?
  • Looks great, Nena. Fingers crossed that it helps you to achieve your dream of working from home!
  • Love the name, love the site - but did find the text on the first page very tiny. Good luck - I think it's a brilliant idea for a business and you should get lots of interest.
  • I couldn't understand why everyone kept saying the writing was small, but I've just gone on IE (I use Chrome) and it's miniscule! I don't want to up the size too much, or Chrome will look strange, but I will go up a size.

Yes, Liz, I do want black. The only choice I get on that design of page is black or white. Pictures show up best on grey, but black is better than white.
  • I think it looks lovely. They're all beautiful and really would help sell a novel. So many self-published novels are let down by their cover.
  • Thanks, Baggy! I'm hoping someone will agree fairly soon and actually buy one! But meantime, I'm having a lovely time making them (and doing a print cover for someone else who's ebook cover I already did).
  • Repeat business is good, Nena.
  • [quote=Carol]Repeat business is good, Nena.[/quote]

Yes, I have to admit, Carol, that having people come back for more covers is encouraging! :)
  • An update : I've added lots more covers since I launched and I'm averaging 50 visits a day which is five times what I was getting in the first month, so things are going well. I've also bought the domain name, so it's no longer a 'Weebly' site (it's now www.magicowldesign.com). It's surprising what a difference that made to views. I guess people consider it more professional. I've also added a page for my illustration work. Even better, I now have a waiting list of people wanting covers.

I'm not doing a lot of writing, though. Still, if I can get this aspect ticking over, I'll be able to divide my time more evenly. I don't expect to be able to get this going if I'm only putting in a half-hearted effort.
  • Noted and bookmarked, Katie -there may well come a time...
  • Great news that you have a waiting list! Well done - well deserved!
  • Looks lovely - agree with Claudia, success is well deserved.
  • I agree. You've clearly worked hard.

Have to say, particularly love the illustrations.
  • Thanks, Monkeynuts! I really feel like I'm getting better as I go along. I've just bought myself an drawing tablet - an Intuos Pro - which lets me paint straight onto the computer. I'm having such fun with it! There are lots of designers who do photo-manipulation, but this lets me give things a much more illustrative look. Love it!
  • the site looks great :) will def keep it in mind x