Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Social media dashboards - do you use one? Recommendations please!

edited July 2013 in - Resources
Do you use a social media dashboard to manage all your activities? I would like something that displays my Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress etc activities on one page so I can get updates at a glance. Hootsuite looks the sort of thing, but has anyone used it?

Comments

• OMG, never heard of this. Tell me more?
  • in fact, please do in one-syllable words. Have just looked at the site and feel quite faint.
  • It could be the heat of course. maybe I should remove my vest.
  • The Queen has permitted the removal of thermal undies due to the clemency of the weather, so go for it.
  • I haven't heard of this either.
  • I think PBW uses Hootsuite. I'm in the process of checking these out too.
  • [quote=mike olley]I think PBW uses Hootsuite[/quote]
    Isn't that the owl version of Facebook?
  • That could make my life easier, but like the others hadn't heard of such a thing.
  • I thought this was known about back in the days of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Or was that toot-sweet?
  • Hee hee. There's another one called Tweetdeck which is based around Twitter. Hmm... wonder which one copied the other?
  • Daughter is now running around singing Toot Sweet - tooting on a whistle pop (darned that sweet tin)
    These linkies might help.
    I don't use any so I can't offer my input on this one.
    http://socialmediatoday.com/index.php?q=pamdyer/1458746/50-top-tools-social-media-monitoring-analytics-and-management-2013

http://www.socialbrite.org/2010/11/09/top-10-social-media-dashboard-tools/
  • Blimey - what are you all talking about? Suppose I'd better have a look.
  • I have now signed on to Hootsuite just to see what it does as it's free. Looks mighty confusing - and I hoped it would cater for blogs as well but I can only have my Facebook and Twitter accounts on it as I don't use GooglePlus or LinkedIn etc. Not sure if I will be using it much to be honest.
  • I'm sure it said something about blogs, though...
  • I think another provider does them?
  • [quote=mike olley]I think PBW uses Hootsuite. I'm in the process of checking these out too.[/quote]

I do, because it has a neat way of shortening your links. You know how some of them can be sooooooooo long & twitter only gives you 140 chars. Also, with Hootsuite, you can schedule your tweets. Sometimes I do it for the whole week - done & dusted. A Hootsuite shortened link is the ow.ly one. The only downside of Hootsuite is you sometimes get Malware and the ow.ly links are not defended against it, so people might be suspicious of clicking on them.

Tweetdeck is okay. I used to luuuuurve Tweetdeck but it don't work proper. It is supposed to shorten links for twitter but it doesn't always do it, or it does it after the event, so you can't make the best use of your 140 chars. Twitter shortened links are t.co.

I don't think there is one that incorporates all of the platforms you mention, Lou.

A good way to do it is to connect your blog to twitter (I think you use Blogger - that's not hard to do) and from there you can get your tweet to go to facebook, so, one tweet and it's all done.

I'm pretty sure Hootsuite does that now, but I haven't sussed it yet.

Never ever click on DMs or @ tweets that say "Someone is saying nasty things about you." Block them. It's malware.
  • My blog is connected to Twitter and my Facebook site -hmmm. May do this.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I haven't heard of this either.[/quote]

The queen's emergency measure - me neither. It is a relief to get this scratchy vest off.
  • Lol! I use silk. No scratches. But they don't stand up to the washing machine.
  • I tried them all and concluded that Hootsuite was the only one that vaguely did what I needed.
  • [quote=Liz] But they don't stand up to the washing machine.[/quote] You really should wash them BEFORE they stand up to anything!