Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WELCOME BACK

Comments

• But where we care about likes is within the thread, on the individual comments that have been liked.
    Quite!
  • Any chance you can get rid of the garish advert? The 8th Feb has been and gone.
    :-B
  • The threads don't default to the last post I've read any more - hoping this is a temporary glitch.
    Now, this is a bit weird. When I logged into the forum on my friend's computer the threads defaulted to the last post I'd read - but now that I'm back on my laptop, they've stopped again.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

• I have the same issue, sometimes I go to the last comment, sometimes I don't - happens on all three computers.
  • It happens on mine too, and I only use this computer.
  • I have only ever used my laptop and it happens all the time. Really annoying. And if I've gone onto a new page, how can I return to the previoous few comments_ ie; the bottom of the previous page?
  • Now that is weird – I thought jump to last post was broken for all. I share your frustration but that is a really tricky one so it's going to take me a bit longer to get sorted.
  • edited February 2014
    I wonder if it's a case of pre-change threads are not going to the last read post, but newer ones are...

Next time I come across one, I'll see whether it's new or old and let you know.

He he. Just proved that theory doesn't work.

After I posted the above part of the message, clicked on the 'what were you doing just then' thread and it went to the latest post...
  • I'm off to try the same trick.
  • That was weird. I went to What were you doing? and thought it was fixed cos I landed on my own last comment.
    BUT THEN I scrolled down and found my own last comment in the box, lurking as if it wanted to be posted again.
  • It's playing with our minds!
  • I think I've twigged it. Alas, it's beyond my reach on the server, so my theory can't be tested until Thursday, when the uber-Webbo returns! Sorry for the inconvenience until then.
  • This might also fix login issues. Might.
  • Webbo, when I'm at the home page and I decide there is a few threads I'd like to look at, I usually click on the mouse wheel to open various links in separate windows, but since the site has been embedded, it still opens a new window but it is of the TB home page rather than taking me inside the thread.
  • Yup, that's what I do, so that one gets me too FMN. Surprised nobody else has mentioned it yet!
    I think that too will come into the fix I hope to get on Thursday. All of these problems are to do with the redirects, so fixing one, fingers crossed, should fix all.
  • Webbo, when I'm at the home page and I decide there is a few threads I'd like to look at, I usually click on the mouse wheel to open various links in separate windows, but since the site has been embedded, it still opens a new window but it is of the TB home page rather than taking me inside the thread.
    I've just read through the last couple of pages of this thread to see if anybody else was having that problem - I should have started at the end! I nearly always use tabs to work through the topics I'd like to read, and at the moment I'm just ending up with multiple screens of the 'All Discussions' list.

Is this fixable?
  • Ah, Webbo - you replied while I was trying to work out why the quote from FMN hadn't worked properly!
  • edited February 2014
    Apologies for the overnight spam. I changed a few things last week that I thought had banished the bot accounts (not from registering, unfortunately, just from posting) and things had gone comfortingly quiet... false sense of security. Tightening controls even further.
  • Tam, I've escalated your powers! Let me know if there's a mismatch.
  • It doesn't say 'howdy' any more! Thank you, Webbo! I thought we were all going to have to get our teeth whitened in order to get through the gates. Normal service has been resumed.
  • Hehe!

I've no idea if this has been mentioned, when I receive a mail to tell me a bookmarked discussion has a comment on (I only have one bookmarked discussion) when I click the link, instead of going to the discussion i go to the front page, and what is more, the discussion does not have a yellow marker to say it has a new comment. My small brain finds this very confusing.
  • That sounds quite confusing Liz! Suspect that too is linked to the embed glitch that I hope to get fixed tomorrow or Friday.
  • When I highlight a bon mot in someone's post and click quote, I get an entire block quote of the whole post, rather than the snippet I want.
  • Think Webbo mentioned that somewhere, Mrs Bear.
  • edited February 2014
    Yes, the old way doesn't work on this system Mrs B - if you want to quote only part of someone's comment, just selectively delete between the [blockquote] tags.
  • Looks like I was wrong about the embed glitch thing. Still working on it!
  • Uh, are all those tags at the side legitimate , Webbo?
  • probably not - if tags are attached to spam messages and I delete the messages, the tags stay. I have to remove them manually but must admit I haven't done so for a few days.
  • Dear Webbo - when am I going to be able to log onto a thread at my last comment rather than at the beginning?
  • When we can make it work Lizy - sorry not to have a more definite answer.
  • Oh - so it's not just me? I shall stop taking it personally and think calming thoughts when it happens.
    "Crosses legs and chants 'Om'"
  • Here's a strange one. If I stay logged in for a while while I go away and do something else, when I come back to the computer the links don't work. They don't even show up as links when I hover the cursor over them. I have to use the back arrow (or rather two-fingered swipe on my trackpad) to go back a page and then they work!

This is the only site that happens on. I cannot find any rational explanation as to why links would stop working (which means I can't recommend a solution). I'm using Chrome on an iMac.
  • Same happens with me - I always leave the tabs open at the top of Chrome with FB, TB and a labradoodle site open so I can look in easily through the day, but the TB link doesn't work after a couple of hours, just becomes dead.
  • Maybe it's sulking at being ignored?
  • There's possibly a time-out somewhere.

(An MSE board does that if I leave it open and forget about it. It shows the page I was on but won't let me do anything unless I go back and log-in.)
  • Oh - so it's not just me?
    No, I think it's happening to most of us. Irritating, but I'm remaining calm - poor Webbo has a magazine as well as Talkback to run after all. ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Yes, the next issue will be ready soon- if not already.
  • edited February 2014
    It's hardly the bend of the word. I'm sure we cane ball cope, but obviously some won't.
  • It's hardly the end of the word. I'm sure we can all cope.
    Where's an editor when you need one?

;))
  • *chuckles*

Ooooh...I have 23 hours, I could re-write that. I have time.
  • Phew. Edited it.
  • I thought you had a head cold, Baggy. Sounded like it.
  • Webbo when I click onto a thread it still doesn't go back to the last comment I read but back to loads of comments I have already read. Will this be rectified soon? Thanks
  • When Webbo finds the right bit... :-B
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks Carol. I hope It won't be too long. It is very frustrating.
  • I agree Wilts, it really is... unfortunately, finding and fixing the root of the problem is even more frustrating!
  • Apologies if this has already been covered, but I was going to add some information on my profile page, but it won't accept my input without my real name. Does that mean my real name will show on my page, or is it just a security thing?
  • Webbo when I click onto a thread it still doesn't go back to the last comment I read but back to loads of comments I have already read. Will this be rectified soon? Thanks
    I don't know whether it helps or hinders, but it works on some threads and not others.

• Webbo, could you please look into Patricia Lesley's comment at the bottom of the OWC? Would the 'squares' (I can't see them) have anything to do with when you fixed the punctuation up for me when we switched over to this new system? You may recall my quotation marks and apostrophes disappeared?
  • I can't add my Amazon page to my profile. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a glitch with that?