Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Another Door Opens

edited March 2014 in Writing
I had a moan when my children's book attracted the interest of two publishers, but failed (and not because of the story or writing). You gave me a lot of encouragement when I had stated I was stopping writing. Today, I sent a proposal to another publisher, who state on their website, they will only respond if interested. Within a few hours, the response was :'sounds intriguing, sent it in.' Okay, it's NOT a contract but gives me renewed hope I HAVE written something special. Once again, it's a case of 'watch this space.'

Comments

• Excellent news!
  • Hey, that's great - okay maybe it's not a contract, but it does show that you're doing something right with your pitch! Good luck.
  • Good luck, T.
  • Glad you've decided to keep going, toothlight. Good luck.
  • Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky, toothlight.
  • Fingers crossed, toothlight.
  • Thank you for your encouragement. This proves members of this forum are a great bunch with no hostility or envy to others.
  • See, toothlight? We all told you 'nil desperandum'.
    We were right - well done.
  • Good for you, toothlight - down but by no means out! Hope it works out well this time.
  • That's very encouraging, Toothlight.
  • Well done for getting back on the horse and good luck!
  • Hang in there Toothlight - the little gem I always trip out on these occasions is that "Cider With Rosie" the Laurie Lee book that became a school classic was rejected 30 times before anyone took it on. A very good reason for you to keep plugging away.
  • Good luck.
  • Keep going, you'll get there in the end.
  • That's good to hear, Toothlight. Good luck.
  • Third time lucky. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Well done not giving up.
  • This could be the one!
  • A response within a few hours is very encouraging, Toothlight - best of luck.

marion
  • That is a quick and encouraging response.
  • Happy to report the editor likes my writing and finds it makes the reader want to continue. 'You have the tools for the job,' he said. However, he wants changes (no surprise), and he suggests we contact via phone when he returns from a holiday in Bangkok in two weeks. I also suggested I was happy to visit, and very ready to change the story, as long as the end was positive and a published book. So-yes-it does show that when one door closes, others may open.
  • Great news, toothlight. Glad you persevered . Wishing you all the best, and the positive end that you're hoping for.
  • Good news, Toothlight. I hope it works out for you this time.

It sounds very encouraging so far; even if it turns out to be another "nearly" you should take heart from the fact that you're getting so much further than thousands of other writers do. Good luck!
  • Pleased for you toothlight, good luck.
  • Keeping everything crossed for you, Toothlight!
  • toothlight, it's so good for the rest of us to hear these encouraging stories. You must feel that you've now actually got your feet on the welcome mat while the rest of us are still pressing noses up against the window?
  • What a great bunch you are. Not a hint of jealousy just encouragement. Yesterday, I was taking my creative writing group of U3A, and we discussed success/failure and critique, changes to your writing 'baby.' I told them about this situation and enforced my belief a writer must be open to criticism (hopefully constructive). Needless to say I have NOT put my eggs in one basket, and it is with other publishers. I learned, the hard way, about that one, when Hodder Childrens expressed GREAT interest in one story, then (sadly) rejected it ONE YEAR later! The joy of being a writer......you've got to be joking!!!!
  • Not a hint of jealousy just encouragement.
    It's 'our' vested interest, Toothlight.
    The up and down of your trials' and tribulations' encourage all and illustrate how that dim light at end of tunnels really can be illuminating.
    {It's normally been revealed to be an express train that flattens my attempts ...}
  • Had to chuckle as one of my stories takes place inside a railway tunnel, and learned yesterday it is now long listed in the competition. Will the light lead me to victory or will that b....express train enter the tunnel first???
  • Don't be daft, Toothlight - there are no express trains due to budget cuts and leaves on the line. You have every chance of making it to the light first!
  • What a great bunch you are. Not a hint of jealousy just encouragement.
    Good grief - why would anyone be jealous? We're all writers here which means we all know how much work you have put in to get to where you are - what's to be jealous? It's always a delight to read about another writer's success - always gives me a boost. :)
  • Agree totally.

We all know how hard it is, so it's great to see friends do well. :)
  • 'They' all tell us aspiring, already doing, writers that it's a rollercoaster even after the "ohhh sounds interesting" mail.
    I admire your tenacity, and anyone else that picks up, brushes off, and carries on regardless.
  • Any success story makes me feel doubly encouraged - I love them!