Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling you creative brains...

edited March 2014 in Writing
I'm nearly at the point of publishing a new book of short stories called 'Minor Discord' and I need an idea for the cover. :-?

The stories are unsettling, verging on the harrowing (!) and I would like this to be reflected on the cover. :-SS

Ideally, I would like to photograph something, but I am open to suggestions.

I await an influx of marvellous ideas... :-w

Thank you, TBers. \:D/
Tagged:

Comments

• I could send you a photo of me in my bibtights, although you might prefer something less controversial. Good luck, anyway.

• You need to speak to Lily, she could probably suggest something.
  • sm, I don't want to frighten them too much!

Lily doesn't seem to come here anymore, Carol.

Since posting, I think an idea has started to brew...
  • I can't think of something from the top of my head Nell, maybe blood or barbed wire? A bloodied blade or something like that? Perhaps a common phobia people have like spiders or needles? I think you'll find better answers from other members.
  • Ooops. Clicked on here by mistake...

If you're still stumped, try googling it - that might generate some ideas.
  • Something musical, given the title, like a piano keyboard - preferably broken but if you're going to photograph it yourself that could prove expensive.
    Or a person slumped over a musical instrument crying?
  • Heather, you've read my mind! I've been playing with the idea of a crumpled sheet of music, perhaps with a red spatter on it...
  • Blood spurting out of a recorder, a severed horse's head looking out of a cello.
  • I had a similar idea to Heather, though I was thinking of a vibrating musical stave with jagged notes coming out of it. I can see it in my mind's eye but I don't know whether I've described it vividly enough?
  • I like the idea of a close up of a dirty, grubby hand playing a note on a piano.
  • Why so many suggestion associated with music? Wouldn't that imply that the content follows that theme?

• If I see a bloody corpse with an axe sticking out of it on the front cover of an anthology I wouldn't assume a B&Q themed book all about axes :P

Just a play on words on the word discord.
  • Some great ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Ana, I think I might have a bit of trouble acquiring a horse's head - but great concepts!

Lizy, I can visualise that, but I don't know how I'd achieve it.

I could do the hand on the piano, br. Great. I also thought of a bottle of tablets spilt over the keys. My daughter said I could make her up to look like a depressed, crying wretch at the piano with her hair all matted and mascara streaks down her face...

I've taken a few photos of a bloodied musical manuscript so far.
  • A derelict house or other building is always quite atmospheric, TN. Speaking of Lily, I think she posted such an image on Facebook recently and I remember thinking it would make a great cover.
  • Yes, I needed one of those for one of my children's books, Seaview - but I couldn't find one!
  • The sheet music should of course have a minor key signature, just to be really picky! And a jagged bloody tear in it. (Do you know you can print off your own staff paper? Just google it.)
  • Does music feature in any of the stories?
  • Ms Bear, I wasn't sure about copyright regarding an actual piece of music. I had thought of something grim like Dance of the Macabre, but I probably wouldn't be able to use it. It's crumpled anyway, so you won't see too much detail. I've just used some scales and let a blob of cochineal run over it. I wish I could post my photo here.

There's music in one story, Carol - the one that I haven't yet included as I was going to use it for a crime comp first.
  • That's why I queried it, TN. By making music the theme of the cover you are implying that the theme is carried through the stories.
  • Surely by that logic if it's a depressed woman on the front cover, people will assume every story is themed around depression?
  • edited March 2014
    I think 'discord' has two meanings, though.

1. Things aren't right.
    2. A musical term.

I have to pick an image for the front, so why not combine the meanings? The sheet music is crumpled and bloodied, signifying that things are amiss with the world. I don't think it necessarily implies a musical theme, but I may be wrong.

If I put knives and needles on the front, it might suggest murder or drug-use. They are not what the stories are about. They're too varied, although all dark in theme.
  • So you need a visual representation of discord.
  • Yes, Carol.

• I think a selection of broken items with a blood trail...
  • *adds Carol's idea to list*

Thanks, Carol!
  • Surely by that logic if it's a depressed woman on the front cover, people will assume every story is themed around depression?
    Yes, that's why it might be a bad idea.

Carol's idea seems eclectic and would be interesting. TN could select items to break that had a connection with the stories.

• 'TN could select items to break that had a connection with the stories.'

Sounds like it could be expensive...
  • Only if you've written about Ming vases, priceless jewellery and Webbo's tea mug.
  • Have you been peeking? That's classified information!
  • A music stand {holding your preferred "Dance of the Macabre" sheet music} erected on a path leading through dark woods?

• I think I will go with the music theme. I was thinking about this in the depths of night. If I end the anthology with the story where music features, then it makes a nice cyclical package.

Oooh, that's good, Jan! We live near the woods. Not sure about copyright restrictions using that actual piece of music, but I've still got my scrunched up, bloodied manuscript of scales. Our music stand is lilac, but I might give that one a go!
  • Do you have a source for the blood...? 8-X
  • You mean you have a dark wood?
  • I would go with something completely neutral, a foreboding picture, because amateur photos of all the above with cochineal etc are (I hope you don't mind me saying this) bound to look just that.
  • Yep, plenty of blood... mwah hah hah!

We have a wood. I'm sure it gets dark. Not sure how well it would photograph at dusk. I'd have to take a bodyguard of course. I'm sure sm would come and protect me. He could use his bib as a catapult.
  • Nell, go onto Flikr and search Flikr Creative Commons. Then choose the completely free option and search for foreboding photos and see what comes up.
  • 'amateur photos of all the above with cochineal etc are (I hope you don't mind me saying this) bound to look just that.'

Hmph.

And there was I thinking my photograph looked very professional... and horrific.
  • Thanks, Liz. I've just looked at Flickr Creative Commons. There's no category that says 'free' but there are four options. I assume I would go for the Attribution option where I pay homage to the originator of the pic?
  • Yes... And that's it, you have access to absolutely brilliant photos for nothing, that page I sent by mail has for instance a rather wonderful toadstool, red and ver menacing looking... Ad a fab photo to boot.. And very dark and ominous woods... Just search for what you are thinking of and see what arrives...
  • Oh, thank you, Liz. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I couldn't get to that page without your link. I suppose I have to sign up and become a member to access the photos. I can't believe all that's there for the taking and I've never known about it!

The years I've toiled with a paintbrush and no artistic skills...The tears I've shed trying to do fancy things to pics using the computer...

(I still think my own photo could have pride of place up there!)
  • It may well! But having done two years of photography at film school I know how hard it is to get something really good and good enough quality to be printed etc. and look professional.

I only found out about Flikr by accident, it is an excellent resource for my animal photos and the photographers (I always tell them what I am doing) are always so happy to have their hoot used and to know how it is bent used.
  • orry iPad, you know what I mean....
  • 'their hoot used and to know how it is bent used'

You and your euphemisms, Liz!
  • JanJan
    edited March 2014

Not sure about copyright restrictions using that actual piece of music,
    Assuming your copy of the sheet music illustrates French composer Camille Saint-Saëns "Danse Macabre", which was first performed in 1875, then "Opus 40" is beyond copyright protection.

Did you know the composition was, purportedly, inspired from a poem written by Henri Cazalis?
    This site may help anyone wishing to use royalty free music:-
    http://incompetech.com/music/

• Oh, that's good to know, Jan. Thanks!
  • Ooh, how exciting. Looking forward to seeing and reading the outcome. Let us know when it's ready for purchase!