Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Easy Money For Writers And Wannabes

2»

Comments

• *blushes*

I've yet to see it...
  • Another reader has just posted a photo on Facebook of herself holding a prize received from Woman's Weekly. It's wonderful to know that my advice continues to bear fruit - although it was a large bouquet in this case!
  • Brilliant! I tried to get the magazine, but it's the new one on sale.

• Oh, that's a shame. Still, at least you know that your submission was successful and the cheque will be on its way. It could take several weeks, though, so don't hold your breath!
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks to montholon for sending it to me, here's my 'nice little earner'!

• I feel inspired by all this success - I've downloaded the book and I'm going to have a go!
  • edited June 2014
    Good luck, Lou! On my weekly trawl through the magazine counter in our local WH Smith this morning, I was delighted to come across a £50 contribution from another of my readers. She sounded me out a while ago about its suitability and I'm very glad that she took the plunge. No doubt she is too!
  • Good luck to Lou and everyone checking this out. I've found it quite a boost to have fillers published when other writing is flagging. Anyone tried Readers' Digest with odd signs or indeed any contribution? I've got a couple of odd sign photos looking for a home and have tried TAB & That's Life.
  • I've had a lot of fillers in Reader's Digest over the years and many of the 'more colourful' magazines love odd signs, especially if they're rude (from our perspective). The current issue of That's Life features a Greek chocolate bar called Plopp!
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks, Montholon. That could explain why That's Life didn't seem keen on my effort! Without punctuation on signs it sometimes depends where you place the emphasis when reading and mine was one of those.
    I've had a funny sign used by My Weekly as a Sign of the Week in the past but recent issues I have seen don't seem to have that spot now.Maybe I'll give RD a go. Nothing ventured and all that.
  • After my recent successes family members decided they should have a go at this fillers lark and today my daughter phoned to say she had won a pair of walking socks for a photo submitted to Country Walking. There is something for everyone it seems. The ripples in the pool are spreading.
  • That's excellent. I must do some more!
  • Thanks for letting me know about the socks, Wordy. No mean feat! (Sorry, I can never resist a pun!) My local newspaper rarely fails me and I've just highlighted a couple of items from this week's issue. Incidentally, the print version of my book should be out in the next week or two.
  • I've only just read this thread - interesting stuff, Montholon.

(I see you're not watching the football either!! :) )
  • Thanks for the heads-up, montholon.

YourSales = YourSales + 1

:-)
  • No, I'm not a footie fan, although I do wish our team all the best!
  • A double hit for me this week. A letter in a TV listing mag and the first of a series of filler items I was asked for by editor of The Countryman. I tend to send comments to TV mags quite often. Saves boring family with opinions!
  • Well done, Wordy! I'm delighted for you.
  • At the risk of now boring TBers instead of family, another filler published this week. This time a rant in My Weekly. This really is becoming addictive.
  • Well done again, Wordy. :)
  • Well done, M!
  • Great stuff! I'm still continuing to practise what I preach and am happily awaiting a fat cheque from That's Life for one of my tips. I always carry a couple of spare copies of my book round with me too and sold one yesterday to a well known face on Emmerdale. Can't say who, but wouldn't it be great if she happened to be seen reading it in the Woolpack!
  • Thanks, Montholon, and congratulations on keeping up your record of steady successes. some magazines have lots of opportunities I find whilst others have cut back to just rewarding star letters if at all.
    Now trying to guess who might be seen sneakily reading their copy of your book in the Woolpack! At least you cut the odds by statin "she."
  • That would be the ultimate in kudos, montholon!

Maybe it will get picked up as a storyline? One of the characters wins something totally inappropriate...
  • Now wouldn't that be wonderful!
  • Some time ago, when the Erewash Writers' Competition was running, montholon, the barmaid in Coronation Street, Michelle, had a few words to say about 'Seize the Day' and I'm sure it was re your competition.

I've managed to get my PC kindle working (earlier on this thrad said I had downloaded but couldn't read the book) and have been dipping into your book for ideas.
  • Good luck, Dora! There are so many opportunities out there that you're bound to strike lucky. Persistence really pays off, I've found.
  • Great Title!

OLgA Flamenco
  • Don't forget everyone, you have a chance to win Maggie's book if you enter this competition.

It's free to enter and closes 16th April.

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2015-anecdote-comp-with-maggie-cobbett.html