Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Press releases: etiquette

edited March 2014 in Writing
Is it alright to send exactly the same press release to several different local publications, do you think?
Tagged:

Comments

• Yes. Theatres, councils etc. all use the same press release for different publications. However, you might want to try to angle the press release to a specific newspaper, magazine etc. For instance, if you're giving a talk, a 'what's on' publication might like the angle of something different to do in the evening, whereas a local newspaper might prefer the local aspect.
  • Press releases are normally a standard format, but if you write something 'ready to publish' it often has more of a chance - as there's no work for the publication to worry about.
  • And the important information, like name of book, should go in the early part of the press release in case it gets cut short- at least that's what I was told by someone who wrote them many years ago.
  • I haven't read it properly, but the article in WM about the London Book Fair's an example - all sounds very exciting, but I couldn't see where it mentions when the next one is. I don't have the mag, so can't check now.

It's surprising how many articles in local press also miss the obvious.

Yes, I can google for the info, but that's not really what a reader should have to do.
  • I used to do press releases for my local non-league football club and it was the same for every newspaper. In fact, if you read the same story in several newspapers, you'll often find the same wording is used, which suggests they've received the same press release.
  • Brilliant. That's just what I wanted to hear.

I've written something ready to use and have a pic of me to attach - just in case!
  • *gulps*

Is it a photo of you with the book? Needs to be.
  • *gulps*

I'm afraid it is!

I had the idea of taking me with the book in a shadowy corner, lit with candles and lanterns and me looking scared...

Hubby and daughter set up the tripod and were shining torches at the book cover to illuminate it. They took about 100 shots. I kept laughing. Then I didn't like how my neck looked and the book cover wasn't always clear enough, so I scrapped that idea.

The next day when my daughter cam in from school I got her to take a 'normal' photo of me sitting on the sofa in the sunshine holding the book and smiling. It worked first time.

The moral of the story: Don't get too fancy!
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm in the throws of trying to format a press release. Writing the book was easier!
  • Good luck with it, casey.
    Typo alert - "in the throes"
    :)
  • Thanks Lizy. Although, the word throws and windows sprang to mind as I struggled with this, so throws may be more appropriate. :-)